Royal Potato Family article in Relix (lotsa Slip talk)

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Re: Royal Potato Family article in Relix (lotsa Slip talk)

Great article... That quote from Marc really gets me though (when talking about Slip tour - silence). I really hope at some point they want to start doing some more shows. One can only hope... I do have to say the recent 12/27 and 12/30 shows are very inspiring. I hope we see more Slip in 2011!
Phrazz

From today's Barr Brothersemailer:

PS. Do not fret, The Slip is still hard at work taming it's voodoo dragon into some new sounds... Stay tuned!

Marc is very tight-lipped about these things...for good reasons. Loose lips sink ships!!! ;)

(but hey...didn't ya get the impression that BAM themselves were impressed that they pulled off the old tunes, as well as the massively positive response from fans at the Narrows??? I felt a little tingle down there....)

I was rather pleased to sit with a young couple...maybe late teens...who knew all the old shit!!! Fucking heartwarming, really!!! 8)
Every picture tells a story.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Yes I read that as well shortly after my post! Funny thing is I do fret about The Slip sometimes, I must be part of the target demographic of that email blast or something 8)

And yes the 12/27 show was pretty impressive, even over the low quality lossy stream! 12/30 in San Fran knocked a lot of folks socks off too... And The Slip back in Japan certainly isn't a bad sign either!
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

Can somebody post the mailout from today, I didn't get it.
Twitter: @lucsamuels
joeyoudon't!
Tenfold

Phrazz wrote: I was rather pleased to sit with a young couple...maybe late teens...who knew all the old shit!!! Fucking heartwarming, really!!! 8)
That was my girlfriend and me. I got her into them when we started dating a few years ago, but she had only gotten to see last year's Paradise show before this one. Neither of us have seen Davis, so we were looking forward to seeing them, but when we heard that Nathan and Marco couldn't make it, we were floored. Despite the pleas of parents and possible better judgment we decided to drive the 2 hours from Nashua to Fall River on the post-blizzard roads. We were expecting the more-or-less typical Slip set from the more recent shows, especially considering the late notice of the show. You know, Even Rats, CoD, If One Of Us Should Fall -an enjoyable show, no doubt, but we had little expectations to see much we hadn't seen before. When Brad opened up with 74, we knew we were in for an amazing night. When Marc started with the first few notes of Driving Backwards, I was struck with a wave of happiness and the smile that had begun with seeing the band take the stage became a silly-ass grin that I would have plastered on my face for the rest of the night. Though I haven't seen them too too many times, this was far and away the best show I've seen them play, and I'm thirsty for more.
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

joeyoudon't! wrote:
Phrazz wrote: I was rather pleased to sit with a young couple...maybe late teens...who knew all the old shit!!! Fucking heartwarming, really!!! 8)
That was my girlfriend and me. I got her into them when we started dating a few years ago, but she had only gotten to see last year's Paradise show before this one. Neither of us have seen Davis, so we were looking forward to seeing them, but when we heard that Nathan and Marco couldn't make it, we were floored. Despite the pleas of parents and possible better judgment we decided to drive the 2 hours from Nashua to Fall River on the post-blizzard roads. We were expecting the more-or-less typical Slip set from the more recent shows, especially considering the late notice of the show. You know, Even Rats, CoD, If One Of Us Should Fall -an enjoyable show, no doubt, but we had little expectations to see much we hadn't seen before. When Brad opened up with 74, we knew we were in for an amazing night. When Marc started with the first few notes of Driving Backwards, I was struck with a wave of happiness and the smile that had begun with seeing the band take the stage became a silly-ass grin that I would have plastered on my face for the rest of the night. Though I haven't seen them too too many times, this was far and away the best show I've seen them play, and I'm thirsty for more.
Oh hi fellow Nashuan 8)
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Hey joey thanks for the report and welcome to SlipLive!!!
bear
From the Gecko

Welcome Joey, thanks for the Mp3s as well.

I dont think there is any danger in the SLip not continuing I just think that the BBros and Davis are more pressing at the moment. Those two bands are bursting with new material and I think they want to harness the sense of urgency and new found inspiration. Theyve always been a band that pushes forward rather than relive the past (aside from a few fun nights here and there). I went to a Red Sox game with Marc and some other friends last year and after some beers I started asking him about the Slip. The way that he made it seem is that they still have 2 albums under contract with Bar None but there is no pressure to release them on a schedule. It sounds like one is in the can mostly. They just are busy with Davis, BBros, Land of talk, Marco trio, The Authority, etc. But yes hopefully the response from these past 2 shows lets them now that the world still yearns for more Slip!
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

Haha how does a band like The Slip manage to negotiate a contract where their album releases are not scheduled. They musta sweet talked their way into that one, jeez. Here's to The Slip new album being released in 2015 hahaha.
bear
From the Gecko

It must not be that much money, just "here's some money to help your recording expenses and when you release your next 2 albums they have to be on Bar None" type of thing. Makes no sense to me but thats how I interpreted what he was saying. I assume if they take too long that they could easily be dropped from the label as well. Sounds like one is more or less in the can though.

lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

what does "in the can" mean. that it's been sent to the trash or that's its done? and the 2 album contract must include Eisenhower as the first.
bear
From the Gecko

no, 2 more after Eisenhower. "In the Can" means its it done with the recording part. in this case I think all the basic tracks are done and they just need to record vocals and overdubs and then ofcourse mix and master it. Still quite a ways from a release i bet, so maybe its not in the can. Im just relaying what Marc told me last May. It was the day before he left for jazzfest so we talked about their various sets (Marco, Davis Slip) there which lead me to inquire about future Slip plans. I dont know the ins an outs of recording contracts, esp for bands that have never released multiple albums on the same label (except their own, 216) and dont move many units, in the grand scheme of the things.