effects pedal

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

effects pedal

any one know what that newer pedal brad is using that sounds so nasty is? it reminds me of a kenny wayne shepard / stevie ray vaughn / hendrix kind of tubular dirtiness, lots of overtones and sustain. love it.

any ideas?

- john
John from CT / wheaton college, MA
bradm
Beantown Rocker

I've seen his board up close (most recently when he opened for Benevento Trio in Montreal), and have vague memories of a ProCo RAT pedal; I'll try to remember to check his board the next time to be sure.

Aloha,
Brad
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

He's been using a new fuzz pedal. He kicked off the Boss FZ-3 he had and put on a Homebrew Effects Ultimate Fuzz Octave, aka the HBE UFO. It's a Foxx Tone Machine clone. Basically a really high sustain pedal with an extra switch to engage an octave up sound. I've got one. They're nasty. And if you play through a trebly amp, really harsh. I played it through my AC30 and it was really picky. Sounds great through my blues junior or my bassman though.
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

would you still need a RAT or some kind of distortion in front of it?
John from CT / wheaton college, MA
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

He mainly uses the rat as a boost pedal. I looked at the settings he had and it's set at pretty low gain with high filter. I like it that way. It'll thicken up the sound of the UFO a little bit. You don't need it, though. Another similar option to the UFO is the Fulltone Ultimate Octave. Pretty much the same deal.