Jay Bennett dead at 45

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Jay Bennett dead at 45

rhythmicstorm
Get Me with Fuji

did they ever find out more about how he passed?

i will always be thankful for this man's incalculable contribution to yankee foxtrot hotel. (and his rhodes playing on jesus, etc)
You that love lovers, this is your home. Welcome!
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I don't think any info is public yet... I love the 'new' Wilco but think YHF is pretty epic and some of their other older stuff as well.
tyler
From the Gecko

this was really shocking news. to be honest he always seemed pretty ego-centric and I didn't like all of his adornments he'd throw on songs during late-90s/early-00s Wilco, but still, as a huge fan of YHF it's weird knowing that one of the architects of that album is dead. and it must be even worse knowing that he and Jeff went out on newly renewed bad terms with the lawsuit.
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

tyler wrote:this was really shocking news. to be honest he always seemed pretty ego-centric and I didn't like all of his adornments he'd throw on songs during late-90s/early-00s Wilco, but still, as a huge fan of YHF it's weird knowing that one of the architects of that album is dead. and it must be even worse knowing that he and Jeff went out on newly renewed bad terms with the lawsuit.
It's funny you say that, because I always thought that post-bennett wilco was lacking in some ways. Summerteeth had so much complexity in the simple stuff that he obsessively added into every recording on that album; so much happened in my favorite songs on that one (shot in the arm, i'm always in love, elt, summerteeth, and candy floss).
tyler
From the Gecko

yeah I've heard that a lot, and I do agree to a point...but at the same time, A Ghost is Born is one of my very favorite albums in terms of production. which I know is an unpopular opinion, but I love it. I would argue that the biggest problem with newer Wilco is just that Tweedy's songwriting just isn't what it used to be but that's an argument for another time I think.
Big Bob
From the Gecko

I tried, but couldn't get into Sky Blue Sky. I love everything prior though, including A Ghost is Born. But my favorite two are:

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
2. Summerteeth

Sad to see him leave us.
booher

Even worse was he just released a free cd through his website. It's just too bad. He had clashes with some people other than tweedy, though. When they were working with Billy Bragg on Mermaid Avenue, Vol. 2 I heard they had some disagreements as well.

And, no, you're not the first person I heard say that they loved A Ghost is Born, especially for production. It was Jeff's first time around using Pro Tools. But as far as the actual songs go, like we agreed, it's hard to compare his newer writing to the old stuff. Personally, I like Tweedy very much so as an acoustic singer/songwriter more than I like his band stuff. Although, Nels adds some great texture to the music, too.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

i really love a ghost is born, its a great companion to YHF which is my favourite
sky blue sky is an unbelievable album, i don't really know how much i dig the new album to be honest, guess i gotta give it a few more listens
Twitter: @lucsamuels
booher

Yeah I wasn't really truly intrigued with anything i heard on the new album. When is it due out, anyways?
tyler
From the Gecko

It's out June 30. I thought it was okay--doesn't have a distinctive sound the way every other Wilco album's had, sounded more like a mix of all of their previous sounds. I only listened to it when the stream was up at their website, but I thought it had more highlights than Sky Blue Sky. Bull Black Nova and One Wing in particular were very strong. But I still preferred Wilco when they had a rough edge...those days are gone. Whether that had to do with Jay Bennett can be debated.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Stream was down so I bootlegged it.... not ashamed, am willing to dish out the $$ for the CD when it comes out. Just listened a bit... so far pretty happy with it! (though that one song - You Never know - totally rips off George Harrison's My Sweet Love, (which appropriately enough was a rip off itself....))

Getting psyched for the Greek! Who else is going? Lumpy? I wouldn't be surprised to see torph there for sure especially as I hear a lot of Wilco in Big Light....