nathanmoore.org

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

nathanmoore.org

nathan's website has gotten a facelift... very cool.
check it out!
http://www.nathanmoore.org/
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
pete
Get Me with Fuji

Wow. Nice.

I love the interview/performance at http://www.cvillepodcast.com/2009/04/03 ... e-at-wnrn/. Interesting that Nathan is looking for a new name for Surprise Me Mr. Davis to go along with the new album.
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan
magpie

yeah, the name quest has been going on for awhile now...

personally i'm fond of smmd. just can't imagine them being something else...
<i>become...

are</i>
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

When I first read that Davis might be changing their name I wasn't really upset. When I heard years ago that The Slip had thought of changing their name for Eisenhower I was outraged though. I guess I don't have as much attachment to the Davis name...

It is a bit long, and people in the know tend to shorten it to 'Davis' or SMMD but it is a mouthful whole. For example when someone asks me what band I am liking these days or what show I am seeing this weekend and I say "SurpriseMeMisterDavis" they generally are like "who?" and then I have to explain the bit about The Slip and the guy from ThaMuseMeant...

It will be a bit weird though if they actually go ahead with it. They better pick something good!
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

i like the name its unique and it actually has some meaning behind it
choosing something arbitrary wouldn't fit the history of this band...unless its a name that rivals the grateful dead ahaha
Twitter: @lucsamuels
magpie

having to explain about the slip and the guy from thamusemeant will still happen even if they change the name, it'll just be further complicated because we'll also have to explain "oh, they used to be surprisememrdavis", heheh...
<i>become...

are</i>
bear
From the Gecko

what? why would they want to do that? What little name recognition they have will be lost. Once you release 2 albums and tour both coasts you shouldnt change your name. Plus SMMD has a GREAT story behind their name.

People are too interested in appealing to the lowest common denominator these days. Like the name for my band - it will never gain any mass appeal or become a brand or anything but I love what it means to me and some people seem to get that.

A part of me wishes that SMMD was still a side project; it seems to have jumped to the forefront of both nathan and the slip's priority list. Its really fun when they get together but artistically (and musically) i believe that BAM is better as the Slip and Nathan is better as a solo act. my 2 cents...
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
magpie

it doesn't seem that their two releases really qualify as "albums" in the larger sense, to them anyway.

i too was shocked when i first heard last summer they were thinking of changing the name. it's all about marketability, apparently. selling their souls? i dunno... maybe they just don't like it as much as we do. who knows.

personally though, i think the magic smmd has together is greater than the sum of the parts. i love the slip, i love nathan solo (and i loved tmm)... but...

yeah.
<i>become...

are</i>
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I am happy with the amount of Davis. I am not happy with the lack of Slip. I could use a little more Nathan solo too.
magpie

well well, the slip we shall have to see, eh?

at least you will be getting a dose of nathan in the bay area post-bobolink. i, alas, will have to miss it as i'll be in another part of the country. oh the torture of bad timing...
<i>become...

are</i>
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

so a new friend of mine sent me this in an email after the trio show in mtl : "P.S. After the show, Brad made me listen to some new SMMD tracks he had been mixing in Boston during the day... Can't wait for that record, it's gonna be awesome!! He said they are seaching for a new name and are down to five that they like..."

i guess they really are changing their name, what a shame
Twitter: @lucsamuels