Your top shows of 2008

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Cactus148927
Yaki Soba

Your top shows of 2008

As 2008 is rapidly disappearing I was thinking back on the shows I saw this year. The list I generated has 37 shows on it although I know there are a few I'm forgetting. I tried to make a top 5 list, but it turned into a top 10 list.
What about everybody else? How did 2008 treat you musically? Anyone else have a top 10 list of 2008 shows you saw?

Here's my list in chronological order:

1/12/08 Levon Helm's Midnight Ramble; Medeski, Martin and Wood @ Levon Helm's Studio, Woodstock, NY

3/6/08 Beastie Boys @ Langerado, Big Cypress, FL

3/7/08 Medeski, Scofield, Martin and Wood @ Langerado, Big Cypress, FL

3/16/08 The Saw Doctors @ Hanover Theatre, Worcester, MA

3/20/08 The Pogues @ Orpheum Theatre, Boston, MA

4/22/08 Surprise Me Mr Davis; The Low Anthem @ Narrows, Fall River, MA

8/1/08 Baltimore Symphony Orchestra performing Lee Johnson's "Dead Symphony #6" @ Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, Baltimore, MD

9/26/08 Sam Kininger Band with Alan Evans @ Bishop's Lounge, Northampton, MA

11/7/08 Marco Benevento Trio featuring Reed Mathis and Jon Fishman @ Real Art Ways, Hartford, CT

12/27/08 The Slip; Benevento-Russo Duo @ Paradise Rock Club, Boston, MA
tim
The Weight of Solomon

Re: Your top shows of 2008

Cactus148927 wrote:8/1/08 Baltimore Symphony Orchestra performing Lee Johnson's "Dead Symphony #6" @ Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, Baltimore, MD
i wanted to go to that but made a huge mistake and totally underestimated the interest people had in that show. real stupid of me to think i could buy tickets the day before.

My top 5,

Radiohead- 5/11/08 Nissan Pavilion
David Byrne- 9/17/08 Lyric Opera House
My Morning Jacket- 9/05/2008 Festival Pier at Penn's Landing
Cut Copy/Black Kids- 5/17/08 Sonar
The Beatles Love- Cirque du Soleil Las Vegas (i know it's not a concert in the traditional sense but it really is that damn good.)

others really good ones,

Pearl Jam at MCI Center
My Morning Jacket at Constitution hall (this show could totally be interchangeable with the MMJ show listed above. both were amazing, had more fun in philly so i top 5'd that one.)
M83 at The Black Cat
OTT at Sonar
Both STS9 shows I saw this year were pretty killer.

All in all a pretty slackass concert going year for myself. I think my new years resolution should be to get back to being my old self and get out of the house more, I know a slip or smmd tour would help that cause out a lot...
tyler
From the Gecko

this was probably the best year for me ever in terms of live music...and I didn't even get to any festivals.

absolute favorites:

6/17: My Morning Jacket @ Le National, Montreal - saw MMJ twice this year, the other show being the one they played in pouring rain in Boston. that show had a better setlist but it was in that godawful amphitheatre in South Boston. this show was in an 800-person capacity club. think it's safe to say I'll never get to see MMJ in a place that small again.

8/07 and 8/13: Radiohead, Parc Jean-Drapeau, Montreal/Comcast Center, Mansfield - don't think I need to explain these two. stunning performances, the In Rainbows songs have really come into their own live and add a lot. the band was on top of their game and played the longest sets I've seen them play. and the light show was pretty wild, and I usually hate fancy light shows.

9/22: Sigur Ros, Quai Jacques Cartier, Montreal - this was the most perfect setting for a show ever. the stage was set up on the edge of a pier in Old Montreal, with the river on three sides and the city skyline serving as the stage backdrop. there was a nice crisp early autumn breeze that added a nice chill to the evening. really perfect conditions to see a band like Sigur Ros, and their performance didn't disappoint.

honorable mentions:
1/??: The Fiery Furnaces @ Higher Ground, Burlington
3/??: Bill Frisell @ Flynn Theatre, Burlington
4/4: Kaki King @ Higher Ground, Burlington
7/17: Spoon @ Lupo's, Providence
8/19: Wilco/Andrew Bird @ Tanglewood, Lenox MA
10/30: David Byrne @ Metropolis, Montreal
10/31: Broken Social Scene/Land of Talk halloween show @ Metropolis, Montreal
11/??: Marco Benevento Trio/Nathan Moore @ Flynnspace, Burlington
12/27: The Slip/The Duo @ Paradise, Boston
GeMeNeYe
Get Me with Fuji

not too many

Didn't see too many shows this year, but I have to add to the list:

1. Bon Iver with Bowerbirds, Portland ME
2. Sonya Kitchell with The Slip, Portland ME
3. Broken Social Scene, with Land of Talk, Brunswick, ME
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

musically it was a great year for me too. My top three shows were simply amazing. The rest were great too. I have two young kids and a limited budget so it's hard for me to get out for live music. I did see 9 great shows this year :

1.SMMD (without Andrew) 8-3-08 Burlington, VT - kind of like SMMD unplugged, it was a special night. I had the best seat in the house (in my humble opinion). Real intimate show and musically fantastic. Loved the venue (Parima Thai Resturant - The Acoustic Room). I was sitting about 5 feet from the boys all night.

2.Bill Frisell: Disfarmer Project 3-?-08 Burlington, VT - this was a stunning show visually and musically. He had these black and white photo's streaming on both sides of the stage that Mike Disfarmer took in the 1930's of people in a small Arkansas town. Some were downright goofy, some downright spooky. You'd catch your self taking these little psychadelic mind trips through out the evening - and I was stone sober. It was like tripping without the confusion.

3.Nathan Moore / Anais Mitchell 4-?-08 Montpelier, VT - great vibe at Langdon Street, small intimate bar that night. Eveyone boozed it up. Tough drive home too, always up for a challenge! Nathan played an incredible set list. Got to have a few beers with him through out the evening and enjoyed Anais's set too.

4.Guy Davis 1-?-08 Lebanon, NH - I took my 6 year old son to this show. We were front row and center and my son requested the encore - his first concert too. Guy is an amazing artist. Must see for any blues fan.

5. Medeski Martin and Wood 2-?-08 Burlington, VT - frist leg of their Radiolarian project, all new stuff. One of my all time favorite bands and they hadn't played VT in a few years. Great evening.

6.SMMD 4-?-08 Burlington, VT - it was the first time they played VT in a few years as well. Great to see them again. They laid a ton of new material on us and really rocked out.

7. Nathan Moore - 4-8-08 Burlington, VT - Radio Bean was packed. I had a visual picture of this place and I wasn't close at all. It wasn't a very comdfortable room for me. I promised Clinton a birthday drink and it took me almost a half hour to get served - and I was sitting at the bar. Sound was fantastic and Nathan delivered a short but great show.

8.Arlo Guthrie 2-1-08 Randolph, VT - this was my dad's xmas present, front row seats at a beautiful theater in my home town. Arlo is really entertaining for all ages. My dad was blown away, never have seen a show in the fron row. Not many things I can do with my dad, Arlo coming to town usually is the ticket.

9.Black Crowes 10-20-08 Burlington, VT - I was a huge Crowes fan back in the mid-90's. Hadn't seen them play in 11 years until this night. It was a lot of fun. Had my wife and my best friend with me. The Crowes delivered a solid rock n roll show. It was like seeing an old friend you haven't seen in years and reconnecting.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

As usual it is hard to dig into the depths of my brain for information. It's a good thing I record so much music. Otherwise I wouldn't be remembering much of anything I hear... I can only add some shows from the top of my head in no real particular order. Judged equally for the music and the fun I had while attending...

12/31/08 BB King New York, NY - SMMD and The Duo! (party party)
12/27/08 Paradise, Boston, MA - The Slip (only 2008 Slip show for me)
11/10/08 Flynn Space, Burlington, VT - Marco/Fishman/Reed (just sick)
11/15/08 RISD, Providence, RI - Marco/Marc/Josh Raymer (sick improvs)
11/xx/08 All of Nathan Moore's sets were a real treat
10/10/08 Leslie Helpert at Jason and Lara's house!!
09/26/08 Manchester, CT - Melvin Sparks (arranged for my buddy to jam with him for 20 min at his pseudo bachelors party)
08/13/08 Mansfield, MA - Radiohead (nuff said)
08/08/08 Colinsville, CT - Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey (nasty set)
05/31/08 Ironhorse, Northampton, MA - Mike Gordon (recording his new bands debut gig was nice)
04/18/08 Club Helsinki - SMMD (rockin the little club)
04/08/08 Radio Bean, Burlington, VT Nathan Moore (30th bday was awesome)
03/06/08 Pearl St. Northampton, MA Kreutzmann, Burbridge, Murawski (recording members of The Grateful Dead, Allmans, Phish, and Max Creek all at once!?!?)
02/21/08 Bearsville, Woodstock, NY - Brad Barr (awesome solo show)
02/xx/08 The whole Benevento/Barr/Mathis tour was ridiculously fun
bear
From the Gecko

My Top 5 - in no particular order.

1. Radiohead @ Great WOods - 8.13
2. The Slip/Duo @ Paradise 12.27
3. Nathan Moore @ Parima, Burlington VT 4.5 ( I literally sat on the floor next to him, about a foot from his pedals)
4. Jim James @ Newport Folk Fest, RI 8.4
5 Neil Young/Wilco - The Centrum, WOrcester 12.13

honorable mention: SMMD/TLA, MMJ, Pearl Jam, Dr Dog, KBM, Stephen Malkmus, greg brown
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
stephen
Lion on a Rock

Not sure I can fill out a full top ten, but the shows that come to mind at first thought (in no particular order):

1. Dave Fiuczynski's KIF - Langdon Street Cafe, Burlington, VT, October: two sets of music from one of the most innovative guitarists out there.

2. Club Delf - Lizard Lounge, Cambridge, MA, March: Tenth anniversary show with a zillion special guests (including John Medeski).

3. Club Delf at the Lizard, September, with Dave Fuicynski and Duke Levine trading guitar licks back and forth all night.

4. Surprise Me Mr. Davis - Iron Horse, Northampton, February.

5. Project-Object at the Iron Horse, November: three and a half hours of Zappa madness.

6. Mr. Davis, Great Scott's, Alston, MA, August: right up in front of Brad and Nathan all night.

7. Club Delf at the Lizard, November with Reeves Gabrelle just shredding his guitar.

8. Fred Frith and Casa Bravo at the Institue of Contemporary Arts, Boston, MA, November.

9. Gilmour's Breakfast, an excellent Pink Floyd cover band, at the Mill Street Brews in Southbridge, MA, February: snowed like hell, only ten people showed up, yet the band gave us three sets of Floyd for a measly $5.

10. Ron Carter Quartet, Regattabar, Cambridge, MA, July.

So there's 10 afterall!
pete
Get Me with Fuji

Favorites in no particular order:
Todd Snider opening for Was (Not Was) - 5-7-2008, Rex Theatre - Pittsburgh, PA
Brad Barr & Sonya Kitchell w/ The Slip - 10-7-2008, Club Cafe, Pittsburgh, PA
El Ten Eleven - 6-21-2008 - Brillobox, Pittsburgh, PA
Yonder Mountain String Band - 6-8-2008 - Hartwood Acres Amphitheatre
Keller Williams with Mosley Droll and Sipe - 10-27-2008 - Mr. Small's Theatre, Millvale, PA

Worst show of the year: Mickey Hart Band - 2008-07-19 - Palace Theatre, Greensburg,PA.
Jen Durkin ruined what otherwise would have been a perfectly good show. I really think she owes me the price of a ticket.
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan