coming to NYC

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

putty
From the Gecko

coming to NYC

so, i'll be in manhattan for about a day an a half, and haven't been there in about 15 years (i was 14, i think).

our plans involve mostly just walking around and eating pizza, but have thought about going to a museum as well. any suggestions for places to eat or museums to check out. i'd like to go to the Met, but figure you can't really do that if you are limited to a two- or three-hour stay.

what say ye, Slipfans?
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

nyc

you could pull off the met, pick one wing / dynasty?

you could also try the whitney, which has some more modern art stuff and they used to have this display of an incredible film that was all sorts of music and instruments from different movies on 4 different screens at once that eventually wound up in sync. very cool.

i'd avoid times square/mid town in favor of union square or the village. i know theres a lot of buzz about brooklyn these days, so you could take the L from Union square over to williamsburg and such from there. You could also take the 4/5 or 2/3 to brooklyn heights (one stop past manhattan) and walk west to the promenade, which is very very nice view of the city and bridges in a beautiful and safe neighborhood.

best of luck!
- john
John from CT / wheaton college, MA
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

ill be in nyc for the show as well
supposedly Peter Luger's is the place to hit in brooklyn for a killer steak
Twitter: @lucsamuels
Roar!
Tenfold

Although I live in New York, and have for over 17 years, I'm still terrible with things to see. Shopping in NY is fun if you have the cash... the Musuem of Natural History is nice. I've been there a few times. I'm not sure if the aquarium is still open over in Coney Island, but that's a nice visit as well.

..erm...yeah, I suck at this. :P

I remember we saw the Tenement Museum when I was 13...quite shocking to see. On the way we ate at the famous Katz Deli...it was okay, might be worth it if you're into the historical thing. (they've been open since...world war 2 I think)
Roar! Roar! Roar!