General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

putty
From the Gecko

Obama!

Such a great day today.
Big Bob
From the Gecko

i was a little swept up in the whole thing last night. happy to see obama elected. there's a lot of work to be done and hopefully progress will be made in the next four years.

there were some deflating things though:

stevens, bachmann, coleman all won, despite their negative press leading up to the election. corruption and/or mcarthyism didn't seem to bother the majority of voters in AK, MN.

also, the majority of californians voted to deny many citizens their constitutional right. hopefully the supreme court steps in and deems the vote unconstitutional.

i have a bad feeling that much will be done to stop obama and congress from implementing significant positive legislation. filibustering, etc. we'll see how things go.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Yes, it is wonderful that Obama won!!! He inherits a totally messed up country but hopefully change can slowly occur...

It is unfortunate that 8 passed in California though I have heard that it is the closest any such measure has come so I guess that is a step forward for gay rights.
stephen
Lion on a Rock

Soooooooooooooo glad to see the end of the lying-torturing Bush administration. It will take a lot of hard work to restore our nation's credibility, but we've elected the best man for the job. But you know the right-wing Republicans will dog Obama just like they did Clinton, with fake scandals about this and that, $50 million dollar blow-job investigations and the lot. These guys need to face facts that the New World has begun to be born.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Well Obama doesn't really seem to have many skeletons in his closet. Most of the stuff they dug up on him really wasn't that bad - Rezko, Rev. Wright, Ayers, etc. I also don't see Obama as the type to be having lots of affairs like sex-addict Bill Clinton.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

...plus they decriminalized ganja in Massachusetts!! $100 fine and confiscation as long as your holding under an ounce. Of course that would have been cooler for me when I was like 16-25 years old. Still pretty nice to see. I was never in any trouble with it in the past thankfully.
Phrazz

Obama has worse problems...

...than the right-wingers:

1. Major banking collapse
2. Two major wars
3. Unemployment heading to 10%
4. Infrastructure deterioration (roads, bridges, schools, hospitals, trains)
5. Geopolitical nightmare

...I can think of others...so the right wingers can just sit back and watch the shit-storm they dropped in his lap!

But I am hoping they back the fuck off, or just fuck off. I'm sick of this hatred bullshit. I hate hatred. ;)

I'll smoke to the Commonwealth legalizing...now if the other one would just follow suit!
Every picture tells a story.
Big Bob
From the Gecko

I'll smoke to the Commonwealth legalizing...now if the other one would just follow suit!
not quite legal. but a step in the right direction for sure. 65% voted to decriminalize. if caught with less than 1 oz., it will not go on your criminal record. future jobs, loans, etc. will not be notified of the offense. but be careful until Dec. 4, when the law goes into effect. I bet some bitter police officers would like to tack on a few more arrests between now and then.
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

i feel more pride in my country today than i have in my entire life. feels good.

to counter that, though, i am very disappointed in california. as a friend pointed out, people were more likely to vote for improved conditions for farm animals than their fellow human beings.

congrats to those massachusetts! good to hear that more states are coming around to decriminalizing!
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

This was the first time in my life where I voted for someone, not just voting against someone that I really disliked. This is also the first time I have felt so positively for a candidate. I am pretty excited about this too. I heard Obama speak in Chicago a few years ago, well before he announced he was running. I remember he really made a lot of sense and made a big impression on me.
pete
Get Me with Fuji

Hurrah, another Republicrat! Four more years of more government, more wars, more laws.

Don't blame me, I voted for Bob Barr.
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan
r.c.
Yaki Soba

problems indeed, don't blame me I voted for Nader.

Suprised to see that we had six (6) choices for President of the United States of America, while all along the media really just presented two (2) choices, one or the other, if you will. Even if the unmentioned others really did not have a chance? Would they? If they had a fair shake, had or invested the same lump sum of money. What could we buy with what was spent on either the Ass or Elephant campaign ? Maybee a life time and/or more for your children and their future genertations to come. No money, no voice, no chance, no way.
putty
From the Gecko

I only had three choices where I voted. Obama, McCain and Barr (really tempting to vote for Brad and Andrew's dad)
Big Bob
From the Gecko

I'm glad there's someone in the mainstream news who can speak passionately and intelligently about gay marriage:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/1 ... 42862.html