I miss the Slip!!!!

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I miss the Slip!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Mr. Davis and think the new material is awesome, but I have just been totally missing The Slip lately. I can't wait for the High Sierra set... I just hope they announce some more dates or get in the studio or something...
tim
The Weight of Solomon

this june will mark of year of no slip shows for me. longest i've ever had to go without. at least you have HSMF, out here we got nuthin' on the horizon. i miss my favorite band :cry:
appleofmyeye
Alsoa

I TOTALLY miss The Slip too!!!!

Mr. Davis is great but yeah, I miss The Slip ALOT!!

What I wouldn't do to hear me another 'Tinderbox', 'Aptos' , 'So Dope', 'Chasing Rabbits'....

You get the picture ;}
bear
From the Gecko

I agree as well. I love Nathan and the whole SMMD thing but after seeing them 6 nights in a row, I have to say, there is nothing like the Slip. Listened to July 04 Fillmore show the other day. the Planet of Inexperience is amazing.... i miss songs like that

Have fun at HSMF you lucky dogs...
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
kate9487
Mudslide

i've been thinking about this lately, and as bummed as i've been that the slip haven't been around (especially this new year's), i've started to think maybe this extra long hiatus is a good thing. i mean, everyone had been bitching the last time they were around how the set lists were all really similar for each show and all included even rats. i remember people who i'd never known to skip a slip show tell me they didn't feel like hearing even rats and were therefore going to forgo the show. for me, i'll take whatever slip i can get, even if that means hearing even rats 3 nights in a row, but maybe now that they've been gone for awhile people will appreciate what they had and when they do come around again, it will be that much more special.
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

yeah, I get upset everytime I think about it. It's like a piece of me that's been ripped away and with no explanation, just empty.

It will be really interesting to see what they play at HSMF. What direction they head from here, who knows. I hope they get back to more of a direction like 'Proud' and 'More Intense Surviellance', 'Paperbirds' and yes 'Even Rats' but at the same time go in a different direction than 'There's a Lie' and 'Life in disguise'. Just couldn't get into that sound. But either way, get back together and hit the road. We've got a lot to catch up on.....it's been waaaaay too long.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

here's how i see it, considering the length of this break whatever they play at HSMF is going to get a good response
in terms of the mix of stuff they might play, i think with the type of crowd that HS generates, they'll end up playing stuff closer to proud, more intense and birds
the newer songs ie there's a lie and life in disguise were used to gain acceptance into a more mainstream sound and it seems as though that didn't go over as well as the band may have hoped
however i do believe a few tunes presumably if one of us should fall which as we all know has been in the books since like 2002 will be played
the newer songs don't translate that well to the big outdoor venues in my opinion
but i do hope that Broke the promised land stays in rotation as it is a killer song
tyler
From the Gecko

kate9487 wrote:i've been thinking about this lately, and as bummed as i've been that the slip haven't been around (especially this new year's), i've started to think maybe this extra long hiatus is a good thing. i mean, everyone had been bitching the last time they were around how the set lists were all really similar for each show and all included even rats. i remember people who i'd never known to skip a slip show tell me they didn't feel like hearing even rats and were therefore going to forgo the show. for me, i'll take whatever slip i can get, even if that means hearing even rats 3 nights in a row, but maybe now that they've been gone for awhile people will appreciate what they had and when they do come around again, it will be that much more special.
you're not talking about me, are you? hah.

it wasn't really Even Rats though, i love that tune. it was more that Even Rats plus everything else. they just played a lot of the same songs over and over and every show kinda started to blur together.

of course i'll admit that i was taking The Slip coming through some nearby town every 4 months for granted. had i known that show would be the last they would play for a year then i probably would have went.

but it wasn't the new material i had a problem with, it was that i was seeing the same things over and over again, which would probably happen to any band if you see them enough times. at least it would with me.
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

I hear ya. I think for a few years they were coming up with some great new songs but then abandoned them before giving them a chance to develop. (Chicago, Driving Backwards, Boston to DC, to name a few - if I weren't at work I could come up with much more)For the past two years that they played you could count on the same 7-8 songs at EVERY show which I thought got a bit stagnet. I loved a lot of those songs but soon they became The Slip's versions of Harry Hood (Phish), just heard them too too many times. I still went every time I could and they did put on great shows but I longed for some kind of infusion of different songs. Either way, I just wish they come back and play again. Or at least make some kind of statement as to what they are up to. It's the not knowing that is hard to deal with.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

tim wrote:this june will mark of year of no slip shows for me. longest i've ever had to go without. at least you have HSMF, out here we got nuthin' on the horizon. i miss my favorite band :cry:
ditto....
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

The Slip's web page seems to say that both The Slip and Surprise Me Mr. Davis will play 2 sets each which sounds like a great thing though somehow I have been under the impression that The Slip would just play one set at the Vaudeville Tent and Mr. Davis would do 2 (official) sets, one opening for Keller and one during the day. I am certainly appreciative though regarldess!

What I think I miss most about The Slip, other than the songs I love so, is their edge. Even though Davis can be pretty trippy I think that even in the late era The Slip have more of a psychedelic edge and tend to go further 'out'. Maybe if Davis let it get a little crazier I would miss The Slip less. I know Nathan is not a jazz player but he is certainly a good musician and I would trust him in the jams for sure.

I really didn't get tired of any of the Slip songs, even Even Rats and Life in Disguise, though I am not the biggest fan of the 'names' part of Life in Disguise. I actually really like There's A Lie. Also a big fan of Broke The Promised Land, Gaunt Debutante, Ooh Belle, Portrait of a Scientist and even Black Telephone. I would love to hear some older stuff, they do seem to ditch some of their best songs after all too short a run. Chrysanthemum is one of my favorites and that seems to pop up every now and then... I also really like Thunder Rose or whatever that one is called.

They have so many good songs that they could do their Eisenhower 'hits' as well as their new stuff along with a sampling of their old material. My biggest complaint with late-era Slip shows was not the repetitiveness of the setlists but the shortness of the sets. I know they are not trying to be the Dead or Phish but a lot of other bands play more generous sets like My Morning Jacket, Wilco or even Radiohead, though to be fair their songs tend to be shorter.. The last SF Slip shows were great because they did 2 sets and also really varied the lists a lot. We got back to back Zeppelin covers and nice stuff like Cut From The Cloth and Chasing Rabbits as well as 2 Steel Drum Zion's!

That's what I'm talkin' about!!!
etahn
From the Gecko

harrymcq wrote: I am not the biggest fan of the 'names' part of Life in Disguise.
But he says 'Eleanor'.
The world really is magic
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

that's what kills Life In Disguise for me, the name part. If they could come up with some lyric in replacement I think it would be a great song.
bear
From the Gecko

I like the names part. plus that may be the part that Isaac wrote so I doubt they'll change it. Big ups to Eleanor! what a cute pic Etahn. I don't think SMMD will start jamming out at all, they vamp and let Brad take extended solos but they're a folk rolk band - not a psychedlic one. Remember they are NOT trying to be the Slip.
I do think Nathan should be the main songwriter of SMMD, I'm not sure how I feel about some of Brad's new songs for the band (the ones he sings anyway). However, Marc and Andrew are still killing it on the new Davis songs. so good....
We didn't really get many old Davis tunes on the last run - now that they've tested the new stuff maybe they'll bring back some of the old gems for the West Coast shows. In 7 shows there was no - Rubber Ball, How Stupid I Am, No Hurry to Get to heaven, To You, Hunny, Dying Man's Diamond, Mardi Gras, Rollin Home, Skull & Bones, SNowed In, Money Money Money etc.
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
kate9487
Mudslide

until now, i'd completely forgotten that the slip used to do multiple set shows...i feel like new years 04/05 is the last time i can remember them doing that. those were the days...