ISO new music

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

bitchtits
Alsoa

ISO new music

I'm not bored with the music i listen to or go see but i'm just looking for some new sounds. Any suggestions on what i should check out?
Thrice you have rescued me from falling grace;
once when I was a beggar and you were the rain on my face,
once when I was crippled and you carried me,
and once when the blindness of others taught me how to see.

tyler
From the Gecko

i've been listening to Holy Fuck lately--imagine the Duo but with less jazziness and melody, and more chaos and weird noises.

also if you haven't heard Vampire Weekend, check them out. lives up to the hype. like some weird hybrid of the Talking Heads and the Arcade Fire.

and also I just got the new album by She & Him (shhh its not out yet), it's a band with Zooey Deschanel on vocals and M. Ward on piano/production. at times its like early Beatles pop, at other times its got more of a folk/country vibe. but it's really great, probably the best pure pop songs I've heard lately. Zooey's got a hell of a voice too.
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

if you haven't already check out Bill Frisell
tim
The Weight of Solomon

the new fleet foxes ep is real interesting, looking forward to hearing more from them.

been on a big dub kick recently and scientist has been getting lots of spins. more specifically 'scientist rids the world of the evil curse of the vampires' and 'scientist meets the space invaders'.
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

I just returned from seeing Frisell in NoHo.

I wouldn't say Frisell is God, but I would say that when God wants to hear great music, he puts on Frisell.

:wink:
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

menomena
vetiver
second vampire weekend
Flevans
The Books
Apollo Sunshine
Grimis
hoby

I was too tired and distracted to think to mention it last night, but another reason to check out Frisell is to discover an artist who was/is a MAJOR influence on the Slip and on Brad in particular. According to Marc, Frisell's work with Ginger Baker and Charlie Haden (the Ginger Baker Trio) is one of the reasons the Slip evolved the way they did.

They named a tune after him fer crissakes!
putty
From the Gecko

I really like the Bon Iver album.
drewry
Cumulus

I was at the Frisell show in NoHo last night too. Really dug the band, esp. the pedal steel player. He never ceases to amaze me, no matter what band he's got with him
you know our love will not fade away
tyler
From the Gecko

I'm supposed to see Frisell tonight--hope the weather holds out.
hoby

Even if the weather report calls for a 100% chance of molten lava pouring from the skies, you should go.

Really.
lumpy
From the Gecko

The Frizzle

all this talk of frisell means there should be some sounds - here's a show from Nov. 18 2004 at the Regatta Bar. It's a .zip file with .m4a (apple lossless) files inside.

2004-11-14 Regatta Bar, Cambridge MA

I've never used megashares before, so let me know if there are any issues...
SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

I second the dub kick. I just got my grubby paws on Garvey's Ghost by Burning Spear. great dub album. If you can get your hands on the trojan dub box set, all 3 volumes are great. I'll post a blog with a lot of great dub and afrofunk and shit later.

Also, second Vetiver. My friend Otto plays drums for them. warm fuzzy music. If you dig them, listen to Brightblack Morning Light, Vashti Bunyan, Michael Hurley, Diane Cluck et al.

right now, I'm on a big avante jazz kick. Hamid Drake, William Parker, and Alfred Berger are in heavy rotation as is anything William Hooker touches or Matthew Shipp for that matter.

check out:

AKRON/FAMILY!!!- saw them at Sarah Lawrence the other night. confirmed my suspicion that they will be the next Phish

Busdriver- good selfconsciously hipster-y hip hop. claims belle and sebastian as an influence.

Cannibal Ox- "The Cold Vein" is one of the best hip hop albums ever made

Gastr Del Sol- avante garde-y folksy stuff. Jim O'Rourke is involved.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

SpaceIsThePlace wrote:I second the dub kick. I just got my grubby paws on Garvey's Ghost by Burning Spear. great dub album. If you can get your hands on the trojan dub box set, all 3 volumes are great. I'll post a blog with a lot of great dub and afrofunk and shit later.
i'm thinking we're both going to the same site...it's coming out of your speaker?

after reading some reviews of their wetlands show, i've decided to give boris another shot. i listened to 'pink' when it came out. it was good but never held my attention. listened to their album 'rainbow' last night and enjoyed it. going to check out altar with sunn O))) next.
putty
From the Gecko

SpaceIsThePlace wrote:AKRON/FAMILY!!!- saw them at Sarah Lawrence the other night. confirmed my suspicion that they will be the next Phish.
whachoo talkin bout willis?

haven't listened to much of them, but from the songs on their myspace page, they aren't jammy at all. jammy is phish.