Barack out with your caucus out - Election '08 talk

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

putty
From the Gecko

Barack out with your caucus out - Election '08 talk

Anyone have any thoughts on the primaries that they'd like to share?
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

i was pleasantly surprised, myself...
gives me a smidgeon of hope that change is indeed on the wind...
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
putty
From the Gecko

that was a great speech by Obama
pete
Get Me with Fuji

All of the Republican and Democratic candidates make me want to shoot myself in the face.

But then, I'm a nut.
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I am psyched that Obama took Iowa. I am not a Clinton fan at all, I think she and her husband are a pair of lying centrists. I hate all the Repubs except for Ron Paul so I really can't say that I care too much though part of me thinks that the more extreme right-wing the Republican candidate is the better chance a Democrat would win it.
lumpy
From the Gecko

I was surprised at myself for "catching the obama fever" last night! I agree with what you're saying Harry, but then am also always surprised by just how contrary my world-view can seem in comparison to the voting public...
tote
Get Me with Fuji

I happened to catch Obama on meet the press with Tim Russert this summer, and I was truly impressed with his thoughtful, even minded approach to the questions. I was even more impressed with the platform that he was outlining in great detail, talking about real positions on everything from torture to abortion, and the war and health care to boot. His book is supposed to be the same way, and I plan on reading some of it to understand his plan for health care reforem if it looks like he will indeed get the nomination, because that's the only issue he makes me nervous about. It's not because he has taken more money from Health insurance industry campaign contributions, though. I think he has to do that to compete with miss hillary clinton and if it works we'll be thanking him for saving us from that fate.

In case we're not clear, All signs are showing Hillary is the republican heir to George Bush's throne. She is electable, she's corporate, and she's for the war. She would be a very bad thing for this country given the precedent that W has set. Just think about the pattern of Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton and what it's done for our country so far. Keep the status quo and lower the standard of living on the poor. Shrink the middle class, eventually fry our brains in oil and eat them with rigatoni and tuscan Brunnello.. you know the drill.

I think the best thing that we can do to prevent her from geting there is to continue to make impeachment and the war center stage issues in this country right on through 2008.

For those who haven't heard, Dennis Kucinich introduced a priviledged resolution to the House Floor (each congressman gets one) calling for the impeachment of Dick Cheney. It was voted on. The Dems voted to kill it. But the Repugs pulled a fast one and voted to debate it because they didn't feel the dems were actually ready for the debate. So it got sent to a committee, and there it may sit shelfed until it's dead. But recently, three members of this committee the House Judiciary committee, have publicly called for impeachment hearings. They say we need to have this debate because of the precedent that currently exists for the executive branch due to such episodes as the Iraq war and the warrantless wiretapping, plus guantanamo and torture. They say the debate does not have to detract from current legislative efforts, just as life went on during the Clinton Impeachment hearings. One of them, Rober t Wexler of Florida, has gone so far as to start a web based petition calling for hearings.

www.wexlerwantshearings.com

If you haven't yet, help him get to his goal of 250,000 signatures by signing up, and then by forwarding the link and a brief message to your entire network and ask them to all in turn do the same. It's so easy and it is the most revolutionary thing you can do from the arm of a chair. If just two people you know follow through and send out the message, then the tree will have grown... We all remember taping trees right? Same thing, only much much easier. So go make it happen.

Meanwhile, impeachment hearings are about the best thing that can happen to Obama and Edwards because they've both been in the right place on the issues of the war and torture, warrantless wiretapping, retroactive immunity for the telecoms re: warrantless wiretapping, etc, and guess who hasn't: Miss Clinton. So look at it as a nice big juicy campaign contribution to the Edwards and Obama campaigns to sign the petition and get involved with stopping the war.

I'm glad to know that people on this board still care about Politics, because 2008 is going to be a great year if we can just stay positive and active.

tote
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Impeachment sounds great. Signed up at that link. I hope it wasn't going straight to right-wing death squads! I'm not sure if it is really more realistic now than it was 6 years ago but I'll still put a button on my jacket or something.

I somehow feel that Hillary is the worst choice. It's not that I would really rather have most of the other candidates but I just feel she could divert so much of the good energy for change and lead us back into more status quo. I'm not trying to force myself to think that Obama is a genius or really anything more than a regular politician but I do like quite a bit of his platform and the general tone of his campaign.

Phrazz - are you on the boat yet?
tote
Get Me with Fuji

Re: the death squads...

I bet there's some way they can hack that information but to me it's worth the risk. If we lose this election to the status quo, the status quo is currently alot worse (constitutionally unaligned) than it used to be and one day down the road we could start to see the kind of governmental activity that would cause us concern for our lives in simply signing a petition. Luckily, those days are not yet upon us. Petitions are one of the best defenses we have. But I am definitely with you on that point. Thanks for signing and forwarding the link.

tote
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

thanks for putting that link up, i'd heard about it then lost it.

impeachment hearings have been needed for a long long time. and i agree that hillary just somehow feels very wrong. i've been hesitant about the obama wagon for awhile, but i too have now jumped on board. feels good!
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
tyler
From the Gecko

I was skeptical about Obama too but now I think I'm going with him. better than Ron Paul. what a loony that dude is. people will listen to anyone who says Iraq is bad, I guess.
pete
Get Me with Fuji

"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan
KLUE
Get Me with Fuji

What's wrong with loonies?

tyler wrote:what a loony that dude is.
I and most of my friends are loonies. Got a problem with that? :twisted:

Ron Paul propably just looks more crazy juxtaposed with nutball of the oppisite variety.

-B-
Keep Lookin' Up for Ever
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

The Electoral Compass. Pretty cool, you can play with the results at the end to get to know where the candidates are...

http://www.electoralcompass.com/v/wsj

fuck all of them.
we need a revolution.