'post rock' discussion

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

'post rock' discussion

ive really been diggin this genre (if you can call it that) as of late. its really moody music that i can just turn on, tune in and drop out, as they say, or just leave it on the background and chill to it.

some bands that im really enjoying right now are below. ive barely scratched the surface and havent heard much of the output of these groups, but what ive is pretty fuckin good:

1. god speed you black emperor
2. mogwai
3. tortoise (thanks to one of you; colin?)
4. do make say think

discuss 8)
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

no prob.
you have no idea how many research papers they've gotten me through...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sps7YxLeYM
tyler
From the Gecko

post-rock = stupidest genre name ever.

anyway I'm really into Mogwai and Do Make Say Think. Broken Social Scene's first album is pretty post-rocky as well, nothing like their later output (except for some of the b-sides). Sigur Ros is amazing too, even if the vocals are uhh a little weird.

Explosions in the Sky is probably the most popular post-rock band. personally I find them a little formulaic and repetitive, but they're still good and they do have a really good live show.
Colin

havent heard any do make say think.
any albums you suggest?
tyler
From the Gecko

it's hard to resist the temptation to say "all of them," but let's see.

My favorite is their newest one, You You're A History in Rust. It's way different from any other post-rock, namely because it's folky and kinda happy. Also their only album with lyrical vocals.

Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn is their most epic, most rocking, and most accessible, if such a thing exists in post-rock.

& Yet & Yet is really good, it's got more of an ambient quality to it. Probably the one that most displays their jazz influences as well. Vaguely Slip-like, I think. (specifically the 02-03 spacey type Slip)

there are two others but I think I'll stop before I recommend those and become no help whatseover.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

anyone remember that band K.C. Accidental

I also find that a lot of down tempo electronica have this same vibe
putty
From the Gecko

i like some of the new Trans Am disc, Sex Change.

I like Explosions in the Sky on occasion.

I just like songs too much to get into this genre.

But y'all should check out Ilad. I've recommended them before.

http://www.myspace.com/ilad

They're out of Richmond, Va. great musicians.
hoby

OK, so I know nothing about this post-rock genre or any of the bands listed in this thread so far.

Can someone give me a description of "post-rock?"?

What are the defiing characteristics of "post-rock?"

How would you complete this sentence:

"If you like <fill in reference point here>, you'll like post-rock stuff."

I checked out some Tortoise and liked some of what I heard. What makes it post-rock?

Always looking to learn. Thanks for help.

hoby
tyler
From the Gecko

uh it's mostly instrumental, usually fairly dissonant, overdoes the loud/quiet/loud dynamic, and "uses rock instruments for non-rock purposes" (thanks Wikipedia). generally there's less of an emphasis on technical playing (although a lot of post-rock musicians are exceptionally skilled, especially those that come from a jazz background) and more of an emphasis on soundscapes and sonic texture. i'd say Alivelectric is vaguely post-rocky, especially on The Earth Will Dissever, Headshot/Mr. Meowskers, and Driving Backwards With You.

post-rock is still a stupid name though.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

when i listen to bands like this, i tend to think of it as like layered music where you can hear it as a whole but really depict each instrument.

It is not something you rock out to, there are times where teh music makes you want to go that direction but its mostly about the journey of the song.
hoby

Those are good answers. Thanks guys!

So if you had to name some bands/performers that were precursors to post-rock, who would you name?

Based solely on your descriptions, I'd say that Brian Eno's early "pop" albums ("Here Come The Warm Jets", "Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy", "Another Green World", and "Before and After Science") sound like a starting poihnt for post-rock, although there are lots of songs on them with vocals.

Is anyone familiar with these records? Are they pre-post-rock?

hoby
tim
The Weight of Solomon

i agree, like most other labels, "post rock" is a pretty stupid name. that tag makes me envision cavemen discovering instruments in a mad max world. these cavemen eventually square off with their oppressors in an urban runoff ala pat benatar in the 'love is a battlefield' video and use the power of rock to liberate themselves. i actually think i'd really enjoy the music that scenario would produce...

that said, it's good background music. i usually find myself listening to it while doing things like cleaning the house or trying to go to sleep.
Last edited by tim on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

hoby wrote:Those are good answers. Thanks guys!

So if you had to name some bands/performers that were precursors to post-rock, who would you name?

Based solely on your descriptions, I'd say that Brian Eno's early "pop" albums ("Here Come The Warm Jets", "Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy", "Another Green World", and "Before and After Science") sound like a starting poihnt for post-rock, although there are lots of songs on them with vocals.

Is anyone familiar with these records? Are they pre-post-rock?

hoby
Post-rock is a rather vague and controversial term given to a broad range of experimental musical styles that arose in the nineties.

It was coined by Simon Reynolds in a thinkpiece that appeared in the May 1994 issue of The Wire magazine. His definition of post-rock was: music created by former rock musicians using rock instruments in non-rock ways, and often by using non-rock instruments too.

To understand this definition, we also need a definition of rock. Reynolds uses the narrow definition laid down by Joe Carducci in his book Rock and the Pop Narcotic. Carducci believes that rock is, in essence, nothing but drums, bass and rhythm guitar, working together in real time like an engine producing kinetic energy. Therefore "non-rock" is any music not made using the three rock instruments, and/or not in real time, and/or not full of rhythmic energy.

Now looking back at Reynolds's definition, we can see that it actually applies to a huge number of artists throughout rock's history, including the late Beatles, psych and prog bands like Pink Floyd, Krautrockers like Can and Neu!, dub reggae producers like Lee Perry and King Tubby, father of ambient and Roxy Music/Bowie/Talking Heads/U2 producer Brian Eno, post-punk bands like Wire and Public Image Ltd., and shoegazers like My Bloody Valentine. These artists spent a lot of time experimenting in the recording studio, overdubbing and adding effects instead of playing in real time, focussing on psychedelic textures instead of (or as well as) on energetic rhythms, and often using synthesizers and other non-rock instruments.
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Post-rock
tyler
From the Gecko

oh and we can't forget Spiderland by Slint, probably the most influential post-rock or pre-post-rock (which would just make it rock, then) album of all time. pretty heavy but also pretty awesome, i love that record.
Non-Fiction
Ambrosia Drunk

Ive also been feelin this music a lot lately. Ive always felt a lot of the Slip stuff shares similar qualities, its awesome you all are too...I wonder if this is a natural progression for all of our ears after being on the slip for so long or just a coincidence?

Heres a few more bands that I have gotten into, some of which you probably know:

Gastr Del Sol - This band is no longer together but have some great albums, Serpentine Similar, Mirror Repair, Camoufleur. They have a myspace, check it. (a song is on my 'space page right now) I bought 'Serpentine' for 7 bucks at Kims and that shit has not been off repeat.

The Sea and Cake - I think some of the ex-gastr members joined this group, not for sure on that. Indie-post-jazz-experimental whatever you want to call it at its best...One Bedroom and Oui.

XIU XIU - yes.

Sigur Ros - they will make you cry. (i did at their show last year)

M83

Boards of Canada - could be classified separately from post punk but it all lumps together.

Stereolab

Fly Pan Am - good ambient background

Radiohead - duh.

Post rock branches off in so many directions...subsequently my favorites are doin that jazz-experimental thing, but Im also getting into bands that transcend post rock and dip into post punk/new wave.

I missed Do Make Say Think here in nyc, not enough change in my pocket :(
And if there's one thing I know to be true, it's let what you love be what you do.