America and MMJ

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tyler
From the Gecko

America and MMJ

I forgot to mention this in my Langerado review so i'll mention it here...on my flight back from Langerado on JetBlue, you could watch DirecTV or listen to XM radio. when I got on the plane I checked out the XM channels, listening to each as I went by, when one caught my ear as My Morning Jacket's "Golden". Except that, it was being covered by America (of "A Horse with No Name" fame). first of all, who knew America was still around, second of all, what the hell are they doing covering My Morning Jacket? I'm pretty positive that Golden was written by MMJ and that wasn't a cover, right? This was about as weird as hearing Johnny Cash sing NIN.

its from some america come back album thats trying to make them hip in indie rock circles by having them cover indie songs. who wouldve thought?
BeatingHippies
Ambrosia Drunk

The album is pretty horrible. The bookstore I work at played for about a week. I know the Jacket in other shape would never even be considered for overhead music.

The track features most of My Morning Jacket playing the song pretty much the same way they do on It Still Moves. The dude from America just sings it. Most of the covers on the album are pretty much the same, straight forward covers. None of the musicians that appear on the album bring anything new to the table, they just do what they have always done. There is nothing close to an interesting collaboration on there.

I'd just skip over the album, there's better stuff out there. If you like America, check out Neil Young's new live album, it's beautiful.
-BH
tim
The Weight of Solomon

since we're on the topic(sort of), has anyone else checked out MMJ's cover of 'it makes no difference' off the tribute album for the band? it's spot on.
Luke
Yaki Soba

That It Makes No Difference is about the only good rendition on that album. It's a bit of a blasphemy actually. I'd like to see the Canadian version with the Sadies, Neko Case, Broken Social Scene, Apostle of Hustle, Feist and guests like I don't know say Levon Helm and Garth Hudson.

It's funny I by chance, the Ipod Iching, listened to MMJ's Golden at least 3 times today. People in fact, often told me that bars are dark and lonely and talk is often cheap and filled with air.
BeatingHippies
Ambrosia Drunk

I have gone on record and stated that I prefer my bars dark and lonely.

There's a few gems on that Band tribute album. It Makes No Difference is amazing. Jim and Eddie from Pearl Jam played a couple of times over the summer and MMJ played it Bonnaroo. I have a few bootlegs of both renditions and they definately consistently knock it out of the park.

I also lke Hornsby's King Harvest, Gomez's Cripple Creek, Allman's Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Widespread Panic's Chest Fever, and Mule's Shape I'm In.

The album also has it's travesties though. Why the fuck have Leeann Womack do the Weight. Countess bands have hit this song head on. This version looses so much of its soul and emotion. It just sounds like some hicks belting it out in some Hotlanta bar. Death Cab for Cutie does Rocking Chair and it really doesn't fit well on the album, but I harbor a deep hatred for them in general. Guster also plays Wheel's on Fire and they just suck.

So there's a few awesome tunes on there, but mostly it's average and forgetable. My Morning Jacket has been releasing volumes of older unreleased stuff. Chapter 1 is all old demos and covers and Chapter 2 is all old demos and obscure live versions of songs from around Tenn. Fire. Chapter 3 is the Tenn Fire and At Dawn demos (I've heard the At Dawn demos and they are really sweet.) I assume they will keep this up and eventually stuff like the Elizabethtown sessions and the Band tribute album songs will make an appearance on there.
-BH