Input for Slip feature

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Luke
Yaki Soba

Input for Slip feature

I am a member of the Slip family and writing a feature for a small market (Guelph) in Ontario on the boys. I did a good interview with Brad and Marc the other day. I've also had the benefit of countless conversations with them to inform my sense of the band. I guess I almost have too much material. It seems like not enough.

Today's Boston Globe article really disappointed me. I was glad the 'J' word didn't come up in our interview once, by design of course.

I need the community's help.

What do people think about the title Eisenhower. I forgot to ask in the interview and I find it astounding no one has asked the question. Is it a red herring or is there more to it.

In terms of affiliations for the band there's Bruce Hornsby, John Scofield, Les Claypool, Phish, UA, My Morning Jacket, Apollo Sunshine, The Duo, Lovely Feathers, Sister Brother (Land Of Talk). Then there's all the Canadian bands they're into Broken Social Scene, Stars, Dears, Constantines. What other reference points are there for the band?

What are Brad's Trey connections. I've never got that. Band Camp in '92, Oswego, Carini on the last album, The Barn. Is that it?

What do you feel should be addressed in a feature that isn't being. I'm presuming say.... THE ALBUM. Like it's title, songs, content, production, construction.

I feel like I have a lot on my soldiers. It's my local weekly. I'm the music writer. Favourite Band On The Planet.
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

Re: Input for Slip feature

Luke wrote:I am a member of the Slip family and writing a feature for a small market (Guelph) in Ontario on the boys. I did a good interview with Brad and Marc the other day. I've also had the benefit of countless conversations with them to inform my sense of the band. I guess I almost have too much material. It seems like not enough.
It'll be fun to read a piece by an informed writer. I can understand the pressure, though.
Today's Boston Globe article really disappointed me. I was glad the 'J' word didn't come up in our interview once, by design of course.
Funny, it didn't bug me all that much. I guess I was in a good mood when I read it and happy to see positive press from a major outlet, even if "the j word" was all over it.
What do people think about the title Eisenhower. I forgot to ask in the interview and I find it astounding no one has asked the question. Is it a red herring or is there more to it.
There was a discussion about this a while back. I think you'll find it towards the end of the "Eisenhower is finally here" thread.

http://www.sliplive.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1901

Try page 7 of the thread. The only thing we can be reasonably sure of is that it's not a reference to a snare drum or a vicuna. My personal feeling is that there is a political element to it, but it is purposely being kept subtle.

I'd be curious to hear if they were even willing to answer that question at this point.
In terms of affiliations for the band there's Bruce Hornsby, John Scofield, Les Claypool, Phish, UA, My Morning Jacket, Apollo Sunshine, The Duo, Lovely Feathers, Sister Brother (Land Of Talk). Then there's all the Canadian bands they're into Broken Social Scene, Stars, Dears, Constantines. What other reference points are there for the band?
I think a person's answer to that question will depend on that person's reference points. I hear lots of people linking the Slip to current bands I don't know. I am constantly hearing the band reference groups from farther back in time. Poor Boy has always reminded me of the cooler, swampier side of Led Zep. Mudslide had hints of Zep's more bombastic flavors. Since the start of this year, Andrew's drumming recalls Keith Moon's, especially in the rolling tom-tom work.

You cannot discuss this band's influences without mentioning Bill Frisell (Exhibit A - "Built For Zeal" on AliveElectric), especially his work in the Ginger Bker Trio with Baker and Charlie Haden. Earlier this year I gave BAM a "start of tour" gift of a live recording of that trio. A "here's something to listen to in the van" kind of thing. All three mentioned that the GB Trio was a MAJOR influence on the band in the early days. You won't necessarily hear the musical influence so directly these days, but that influence is a large part of what got us (them) to where we are today, I think.

In my mind, one characteristic of the most interesting bands is that they reach across a wide spectrum of styles and eras for their reference points. (Grateful Dead, Byrds, Los Lobos, Donna The Buffalo - yes, my age is showing.) The Slip have been doing that since early on, when classic jazzbos were obvious influences.
What do you feel should be addressed in a feature that isn't being. I'm presuming say.... THE ALBUM. Like it's title, songs, content, production, construction.
I want to know their favorite colors, turn-ons and turn-offs, what they think is groovy, a description of their dream date, favorite Beatle, Mary-Ann or Ginger, you know - serious music journalism. :lol:

We (I) could go on and on about the things we'd (I'd) like to know, but that probably wouldn't be appropriate for what I'm assuming is your target audience - the folks who read your local paper.

I think the question has to be "what's the goal of the article?" If it's to try and introduce more people in your community to the Slip, you'll need to stay fairly superficial and concentrate on info that will give newcomers reference points that provide a handle on what to expect. This would come, I imagine, in the form of comparable bands and performers (you're obviously working on that) and styles. Their approach to their art and each other. Imagine a person standing on a record store holding Eisenhower and wondering why they should take a chance on this band. What makes this band interesting? How would you answer that question? Yeah, you might be covering ground similar to a lot of other articles coming out these days, but you'll be doing it from a more informed perspective. That will be good.
I feel like I have a lot on my soldiers. It's my local weekly. I'm the music writer. Favourite Band On The Planet.
Labor of love, man. It sure beats covering Town Board meetings. :)

Good luck,

hoby

Hey thanks for the input. That's sort of what I figured in terms of general/informed. There's a chance I'll end up quoting something you said not here but elsewhere. What's your last name and best description of your relationship to the band.
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

Anonymous wrote:Hey thanks for the input. That's sort of what I figured in terms of general/informed. There's a chance I'll end up quoting something you said not here but elsewhere. What's your last name and best description of your relationship to the band.
Check your private messages.
headnugg
Invocation

Re: Input for Slip feature

Luke wrote:Today's Boston Globe article really disappointed me. I was glad the 'J' word didn't come up in our interview once, by design of course.
Didn't see this article, was it just a review of IKE? Is it avail. online?
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Yeah, I found it on the globe site a couple of days ago. When I wanted to re-read it and email it to my girlfriend they required me to log on and create an account which I didn't feel like doing but it was certainly up there. Pretty good article I thought.
Luke
Yaki Soba

Anytime you want to log into something and not sign up try username: cyberpunk with password: cyberpunk

Thank John Barlowe and the Electronic Frontier Foundation for that. Many many sites are available without a password that way, even the NY Times.