Wow

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Guess

Wow

Well, I guess my earlier post was really objectionable -- it's OUTTA HERE, eh?! See ya, buh-bye!

Sorry . . .
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

i replied to you, but another moderator must have deleted the whole thread.

everyone, please refrain from posting links or revealing any information about any leaks. we hope you understand.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Guess

Yep -- I got it, it's the right thing to do. I should've used better judgment in the first place.

No blood no foul?
putty
From the Gecko

I definitely understand the point of not spreading links to leaks of any kind.

But it seems like a losing battle with the internet. If people are allowed to take something for free instead of paying for it, they will. Some people, the die hards, will support the band because they want to. And some people will do it because their conscience takes a hit. Then, some people will steal it to say "fuck the big record companies, the bands are only making a dime off each album anyway."

i don't care what anyone's opinion is on if it's right or wrong to take it and why they think that. obviously everyone has their own reasons for doing what they do. my question is what is the future going to look like for the music biz? i know some record companies let you listen to all of its music online. then there are sites like Percy's.

will bands have to rely on their live chops and ticket sales more to survive? will the big companies fall? this topic fascinates me.
Guess

Right On

Yeah, I guess I posted about it earlier, just wondering if other folks knew about this -- and wondering if perhaps BAM or others had purposely leaked songs to get a buzz going.

The internet, mp3 and broadband technology, and iPods have clearly altered the landscape of the music industry, but bands will still be able to sell studio albums -- or at least songs. The marketing and business models have to adapt, but labels and the biz ain't goin nowhere -- they just have to change.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

It does seem that what The Slip need right now is some buzz. Not that I need them to have it, I could see them at small clubs for a quite a while personally but I know they can't support themselves doing that all their lives. They seem poised to make it big and they are in the focus of the starmaking machines (take a look at the way the camera keeps focusing in on Brad in the Rolling Stone videos) which is slightly off-putting to me but then again the Beatles were big stars and that didn't stop them from making some kick-ass music.

I don't support illegal downloading but I don't think in this situation that it is really gonna hurt BAM tremendously, it's not like they've been selling records off the shelves I bet (though I've bought all the ones I can get my hands on) and if they can increase their audience then that means more folks payin for tix to their shows and buying their output in the future.

Hell if they want to make some more coin selling records they should sell all those shows that are up on Rhapsody, I would buy them all $20 bucks a show in FLAC or pressed on CD's, I just don't want some silly service where I don't have my own lossless copy of the music.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

and wondering if perhaps BAM or others had purposely leaked songs to get a buzz going.
They did. Two songs on myspace for a while now. I REALLY doubt they would have done this on purpose. When releasing a new album you have to send promo copies to media outlets. My guess is that someone at one of these places (radio, magazine, etc...) wanted to be a hotshot. Or they needed to "up thier ratio". I don't like this . I have never used it of course. I just know the reputation it has for hosting leaks and tons of copyrighted music. I just hope it creates a bigger buzz or reaches a lot of people who have never heard The Slip. The only other potential is taking away thousands of album sales from the band. Lets hope it is the former.
stephen
Lion on a Rock

hmmmm....I thought you were talking about the location of this year's NYE show....which is out there if you know where to look......
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

Cleantone wrote:
and wondering if perhaps BAM or others had purposely leaked songs to get a buzz going.
They did. Two songs on myspace for a while now. I REALLY doubt they would have done this on purpose. When releasing a new album you have to send promo copies to media outlets. My guess is that someone at one of these places (radio, magazine, etc...) wanted to be a hotshot. Or they needed to "up thier ratio". I don't like this . I have never used it of course. I just know the reputation it has for hosting leaks and tons of copyrighted music. I just hope it creates a bigger buzz or reaches a lot of people who have never heard The Slip. The only other potential is taking away thousands of album sales from the band. Lets hope it is the former.
tone, its part of the game, like it or not. i have learned about a couple of bands that i wouldnt have heard of before thanks to the fat pig. i think its good as long as the person supports the band in someway.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
tyler
From the Gecko

well if you're an audiophile then the downloaded copy isn't enough for you so you have to go buy the cd-quality stuff anyway.

and if you're REALLY an audiophile you'll get the vinyl too.
Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

whats songs in particular have been leaked apart from children and rats?
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

Colin wrote:whats songs in particular have been leaked apart from children and rats?
me wrote:everyone, please refrain from posting links or revealing any information about any leaks. we hope you understand.
little dude, its cool you asked, but i dont want to add fuel to the fire. if you really need to know, go dig around.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

we have waited this long, we can stick it out

i am about to go board a plane for D.C.

watch out

-dan
Phrazz

Knowledge and Know-how

There's a candor in candid, though sooner or later word gets around. From just reading between the lines I can get the gist of it, though there's a nuance between subtle and obtuse. Obviously we don't need to make the situation worse, but the Internet is a jungle and when word gets out, it's hard to put a cap on it. But don't need to help it, either.

There is the buzz factor, and that's very hard to determine though we can take some good guesses. I find out about bands in many different ways...probably most of all from going to shows (and seeing openers, talking to people). But to learn from the pirate underground is definitely another "angle" and of course has its own promotional potential. Who knows?

Anyhow, it's pretty much gossip, but word is on the street...and I heard there's a computer virus on the pirated version. Download at your own risk--you never know if some unknown source is tainted.

Then again, that gives me another idea. What if....

-Phrazz