Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

Live Music Podcast... what!

http://livemusicblog.com/

way to ask about converting my show to mp3 first ugg
mjm
Yaki Soba

Please take this the the right way (I'm EXTREMELY grateful for the efforts of tapers....especially one who also runs a 24hr streaming server) but I don't think tapers have any right to put restrictions on the shows they tape and share. All rights should remain with the artist.

The guy did say this, too:

Remember what the tapers say, though! This is an MP3 copy and should not be circulated for trading purposes; only use these tracks for personal use...

So I see no problem with what was posted on that blog.
"It’s not like rock and roll was invented by the people who play it right. Rock and roll was invented by lunatics. It belongs at the end of the day to lunatics. It doesn’t belong to people to prove their muscularity." - <i>Marc Ribot</i>
tyler
From the Gecko

you gotta admit though, that's hilariously ironic.

"don't convert to mp3 and share!...even though i just did."

indeed.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

Yeah thats what i was getting at.

when you convert to mp3, you actually destroy data that was in the song. when mp3's get burned back to wav, they loose data also.

thats why most tapers are partial. its all good though its exposure and thats what we need right now so i wasnt mad, i just would wish people ask permission first.
mjm
Yaki Soba

Dan wrote:when you convert to mp3, you actually destroy data that was in the song. when mp3's get burned back to wav, they loose data also.
I know, and there's nothing wrong with nicely reminding people of that.
thats why most tapers are partial. its all good though its exposure and thats what we need right now so i wasnt mad, i just would wish people ask permission first.
Maybe I'm just arguing sematics here but I don't think tapers should request/expect permsion to encode the show they taped in a certain way. To me it's akin to someone saying (ten years ago) "Hey I'll spin you a copy of this show but only if you promise not to make a copy for your friends because your tape deck sucks."
"It’s not like rock and roll was invented by the people who play it right. Rock and roll was invented by lunatics. It belongs at the end of the day to lunatics. It doesn’t belong to people to prove their muscularity." - <i>Marc Ribot</i>
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

valid point
joexc1315
Tenfold

Dan, thanks for the link. I have to say my favorite moment is during I Hate Love when Brad starts playing NicNac Paddywac on the harmonica. ha
livemusicblog

in response

Dan -- without question, I do apologize that I did not contact you to give you some headsup that this *podcast* and MP3 download would be made available. At the very least, you deserved that.

I have to say I'm on board with MJM here, though -- you made this show freely available through etree. Doesn't that mean you're giving this to me to do what I please with it? When you limit the exposure to FLAC only (as opposed to the archive where different versions are made available), you're severly limiting the reach this show can have. What the hell is the point of sharing it if only 30 people hear it?

I credited you, I credited the source, and I gave a fair warning that people downloading this show should not use this MP3 source to circulate. I'm not sure what else you'd want actually...not post it at all?

Thank you for acknowledging my intentions here -- certainly not malicious in any way or form, just misappropriated in your eyes -- as running a music blog where I'm trying to share music can cause me to walk a fine line between supporting the artists and giving away some of their music -- both of which I do on a daily basis.

I know tapers have rules and bands have rules and I only wish to honor both here. If you need me to take it down, I will. I really don't want to, and I'd probably write something up in specific mention to this instance as something I think is wrong wrong wrong but whatever. Let me know how we need to finalize.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

I am not upset at your intentions. What it boils down is exposure and that is what I have been trying to implement for years. I hold BAM close to me and want to see them reach as many people as possible. That is what i did for my website.

I don't have a problem of what you did and would like to see it continue to stay up. A while ago, infact when i was first starting up my website. The background image i used, i had taken from theslip.com and used it with no credit.

They were upset initially because I had done so without asking. The principle was if I were to ask, they would have given me the OK but were up set that i did not do that.

I like what your doing and thank you for using my recording, makes me feel great despite what I said. When ever you see your work displayed by a stranger it gives you a smile that is priceless.

Be well, don't think i am upset ...just being a pest.

-Dan
Phrazz

The grey areas

Yeah, this is a sore issue with some tapers, but others aren't so rigid. It really is a matter of personal preference, but I gotta say that's the most nicely-worded explanation I think I've ever read. If it were me, I'd cut you some slack here. :)

-Phrazz
bitchtits
Alsoa

check out the interview with trey off to the right as well