trying new beers

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

bitchtits
Alsoa

trying new beers

i just picked up this beer called MoJo its an IPA out of a bolder, Co brewery the hops attack your mouth its crazy, also this other beer from mass i think its called wachusett?? but i had some of it a brookline mass slip show not that far back very tasty

what else our you hommies drinkin?
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

well... 2 weekends ago (when my band was in the studio).. I drank a lot of Pabst.. that's Fourth River's beer.. and after you get through about 4 of them, it doesn't matter how it tastes anymore...

but thankfully, this weekend.. I'm sure to drink something a little better.. my buddy Jay, is bringing some case of Lions head
a real smooth lager out of wilkes-barre for the rehearsal dinner on friday... (my best friends wedding is this weekend)... it's soooo much better than yuengling.. and only like $10 a case.. can you believe that.. it's cause it's a local brewery... anyway.. then saturday at the wedding.. since I'm the best man.. it's open bar for the wedding party at the country club, so I'm sure I'll be drinking some decent brews...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

Living here in central VT I have been on a steady diet of Longtrail Blackbeary Wheat all summer - of course when I am not drinking gin that is....
etahn
From the Gecko

Lets hear it for gin - the most underrated of spirits. Give me a sapphire martini just about any day (but not every day).

My girlfriend is way into hoppy beers, so I've been drinking a lot of Dogfish Head IPAs (60 Minute and 90 Minute). Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot is tremendously hoppy too.

My buddy Mike is coming in from Cleveland next weekend and if I'm lucky, he'll bring me the Old Dominion Oak Barrel Stout I asked for. Its from a brewery in VA, and unavailable in RI. We used to drink the shit out of it in Cleves, though, so I'm prayin he gets it together. best.beer.ever. (at least when it's on tap)
The world really is magic
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

yeah.. the old dominion is pretty decent too.. plus (I learned) they have twist caps... (see ICT late night)...

I'm not that crazy about hoppy beers.. just not my forte... but I do like the dogfish Aprihop beer.. really smooth, not overally sweet...

oh.. and Pam loves Emphere by Unibrah (I know I didn't spell that right).. but it's apple infused wheat beer... (she really likes wheats.. so that blackberry wheat would sound good to her.. there's a blueberry wheat that she loves alot that's not overally sweet {it's made by Great Lakes brewery})
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
JEFFfromNC

Ahh beers... I am a home brewer and very much enjoy the hobby and reaping the rewards. Currently I have a blond ale, Amarillo IPA, and a Oatmeal Cream Stout on tap. I have a hefeweizen, Cascading Glaciers American Pale ale, Blond ale, and a Belgian Honey ale in bottles. In primary fermentation I have a Red Cherry ale and in secondary fermentation I have an Extremely hopped IPA called a JPA and a pumpkin pie ale. I tend to like beers that are more along the hoppy side like a IPA.

For commercial examples I would recommend the following breweries: Dogfish Head (60 Minute IPA), Victory (Hop Devil), Young's (Double Chocolate Stout), Sam Adams (any), Rouges (any), or Just about any microbrewery. If your a Bud, Miller, or Coors drinker: you've been fooled. America had some of the greatest beers in the world, pre-prohibition. Prohibition destroyed America's reputation for great beers, but the microbreweries are bring it back.

There is a show on either Histroy channel called Mardern Marvels. They did a special on Brewing and it was a great episode to watch. I would recommend checking it out if you can find a place to download it or if they air it again...

If anyone is ever in the Charlotte, NC area stop by for a cold one! :mrgreen:
“We search for acceptance, yet we give not freely...”
"There is a lot more to people, then you might give them credit for."
Addictions: I spent many years unknowingly acquiring them, now I spend every minute trying to fight them.
GeMeNeYe
Get Me with Fuji

Word.

Wachusett IPA (named after the gorgeous mtn in Central-Eastern Mass) is a great beer.

I've been drinking a lot of Sparhawk Golden Ale out of Portland, Maine -- nice and light, but also quite flavorful (hoppy and bitter, but not overpowering).

Anyone like Geary's? The Hampshire Special Ale will kick your rear and leave your taste buds wondering "wha happened"?
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

JEFFfromNC wrote:Ahh beers... I am a home brewer and very much enjoy the hobby and reaping the rewards. Currently I have a blond ale, Amarillo IPA, and a Oatmeal Cream Stout on tap. I have a hefeweizen, Cascading Glaciers American Pale ale, Blond ale, and a Belgian Honey ale in bottles. In primary fermentation I have a Red Cherry ale and in secondary fermentation I have an Extremely hopped IPA called a JPA and a pumpkin pie ale. I tend to like beers that are more along the hoppy side like a IPA.

For commercial examples I would recommend the following breweries: Dogfish Head (60 Minute IPA), Victory (Hop Devil), Young's (Double Chocolate Stout), Sam Adams (any), Rouges (any), or Just about any microbrewery. If your a Bud, Miller, or Coors drinker: you've been fooled. America had some of the greatest beers in the world, pre-prohibition. Prohibition destroyed America's reputation for great beers, but the microbreweries are bring it back.

There is a show on either Histroy channel called Mardern Marvels. They did a special on Brewing and it was a great episode to watch. I would recommend checking it out if you can find a place to download it or if they air it again...

If anyone is ever in the Charlotte, NC area stop by for a cold one! :mrgreen:
If Pam and I are ever down in your neck of the woods Jeff.. I will gladly drink all your beer... :mrgreen: Hope your staying out of trouble Papa...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
francis
From the Gecko

another beer from boulder that is good is their Hazed & Infused. very good.

and nothing beats a case of lionshead. brewery is about 5 minutes from my house.
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

i got a kegarator recently. it only fits quarter kegs and the small 5 gallon cyclender kegs. so far ive had 2 kegs of a local brewery called ellicott mills, which brew a brand called alpenhof. its mostly german style beers. right now, ive got the otter creek oatmeal stout in the fridge, and its really creamy and thick.

im taking notes on what you all like.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
bitchtits
Alsoa

otter creek oatmeal stout is so tastey....sam smith makes a great oatmeal stout. also this place out near me in troy ny called browns brewery makes what id have to call the greatest oatmeal stout in the northeast. anyway my dad once had a kegerator but he never put anything good in it....what a waste :x
Non-Fiction
Ambrosia Drunk

Theres this great beer Hurricane Kitty its an IPA i think from Kingston. Nice n hoppy, me and my brother found it and now buy growlers (at the glenmont beverage center :wink:) every time i come home.

Commercial Description:
Hurricane Kitty is a coppery and heavily hopped India Pale Ale. Named after brewmaster Keegan’s grandmother who’s driving earned her quite a reputation racing her six children to and from a local Long Island beach ferry during the 1960’s, Hurricane Kitty is the undisputed family favorite. We try to make the hop bill read as aggressively as her driving record.
And if there's one thing I know to be true, it's let what you love be what you do.
appleofmyeye
Alsoa

If any of you ever get the chance try some brew from Ballast Point or Stone, they are brewies here in San Diego, CA. I personally love the taste and strengths of the beers brewed at these two places. I'm sure you all have heard of Yellowtail, which is good but I really love the Big Eye Extra Pale Ale, Black Marlin Porter and you can't go wrong with the Wahoo Wheat (great keg beer). With Stone, I go for of course the Arrogant Bastard Ale, thier IPA and the Levitation Ale. I wish someone could send me some of that Blackberry Wheat...mmmm, that sounds sooo good! The makers of Fat Tire used to make a Blueberry Wheat Ale, called Straw Hat I believe, I loved it but I could never find it here. Nice topic and it's nice to read about what kind o' brews everyone has been enjoying.
GeMeNeYe
Get Me with Fuji

I'm curious: how long will the beer in a keg remain tasty and fresh in a kegerator? A couple weeks? Haven't really thought too much about this before, but I guess this is essentially what bars do, eh? They ain't puttin fresh kegs in every night.

$500 bucks for one of these, eh? Ouch. I think that may be prohibitively high for personal enjoyment . . .

diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

kegs tend to be fresh for about a 3 weeks if they stay cold and presurized. after that point they get a little flat and start loosing their flavor, thats when you have your friends come over and drink with you :wink:

i got one that looks like the pic for $200 off craigs list, but the ones that fit a full keg run higher. the benefit for having the full size is the selection, but it takes loger to drink one and the kegs cost more too, but you can still obviously fit the smaller kegs in there.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH