My Morning Jacket

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

My Morning Jacket

As previously reported, an MMJ live album and DVD, "Okonokos," will be separately released in the fall. The double-disc CD is due Sept. 26, while the DVD will arrive Oct. 31 and will also be screened at select U.S. movie theaters. Eschewing the straight-up "film the show" approach, the latter follows a storyline that transports fans to an MMJ show in the middle of a forest.

Here is the CD track list for "Okonokos":

Disc one:
"Wordless Chorus"
"It Beats 4 U"
"Gideon"
"One Big Holiday"
"I Will Sing You Songs"
"Lowdown"
"The Way That He Sings"
"What a Wonderful Man"
"Off the Record"
"Golden"
"Lay Low"

Disc two:
"Dondante"
"Run Thru"
"At Dawn"
"Xmas Curtain"
"O Is the One That Is Real"
"Hell"
"Steam"
"Dancefloors"
"Anytime"
"Mahgeeta"

This should be a hellofa good album
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

oinked and rockin! man, i cant wait for this dvd.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
GeMeNeYe
Get Me with Fuji

Just One Thing

only thing missing is "Just One Thing." I love that tune!

Phrazz

MMJ Kicked High Sierra's ass

Ya know, I don't want to say they're the next Radiohead, but the thought crossed my mind. High Sierra would be lucky to see them again next year.

GeMeNeYe
Get Me with Fuji

I guess I can understand the comparison to Radiohead (which I've heard time and time again) -- the high voice, the sometimes-sparse arrangements and on the recent record, hints of more electronic sounds, but to me, Radiohead is so much darker and mysterious. The Southern Rock in MMJ element makes a big difference, too. I know you weren't saying they're the same band or anything, but just wanted to comment since I hear this comparison so often. Yorke and co. are on a different level for me -- their music just seems to slap me in the face, then kick me in the ass, and say, "So, how did you like that, my friend? Didn't see that comin, did ya?" MMJ are more of a rock n roll band to me than Radiohead, and that's a good thing.

This doesn't really mean anything, but hey . . .

who's pointing at who, anyway . . . .

Phrazz

next big thing

...I just meant in terms of their popularity, but I hear a darkness in MMJ...just not as distant...more in your face and definitely more rockin' (somewhat southern influence, perhaps, but very subtle). I just feel Radiohead and MMJ have that indescribable "thing" we try to call style...it's impossible to really describe in concrete terms. It's more of a tingly feeling I get at the back of my neck, like something crawling up out of my shirt. Spooky almost...but there's words again and these don't do the music justice. If you haven't seen MMJ or Radiohead, kick yourself in the ass and go to a show! [I will kick myself again, kicking myself as often as my shoes have laces....]
tyler
From the Gecko

GeMeNeYe wrote:I guess I can understand the comparison to Radiohead (which I've heard time and time again) -- the high voice, the sometimes-sparse arrangements and on the recent record, hints of more electronic sounds, but to me, Radiohead is so much darker and mysterious. The Southern Rock in MMJ element makes a big difference, too. I know you weren't saying they're the same band or anything, but just wanted to comment since I hear this comparison so often. Yorke and co. are on a different level for me -- their music just seems to slap me in the face, then kick me in the ass, and say, "So, how did you like that, my friend? Didn't see that comin, did ya?" MMJ are more of a rock n roll band to me than Radiohead, and that's a good thing.

This doesn't really mean anything, but hey . . .

who's pointing at who, anyway . . . .

hey where's phil in that picture?

anyway, MMJ are pretty awesome, but they're no radiohead. maybe sometime in the future. how are the first two MMJ albums? all i've got are the two newer, popular ones, and a b-sides compilation (the one with the dude sticking his head in a volcano).
putty
From the Gecko

At Dawn is amazing. maybe my favorite one, although Z is tough beat.

The Tennessee Fire is also great. It's almost a country album. every one they've put out is completely different.

I love this band.
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

hmmm... yeah, maybe one of these days they'll win me over... in the meantime, they just don't appeal to me in any strong way... MMJ reminds me more of coldplay than of radiohead...

i'm curious though, it seems i may have to give the new album a listen...
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

ok, thats enough. please end the discussion of mmj to radiohead. theyre nothing alike, nothing. GeMeNeYe, wherever you read the comparison, or whoever wrote that piece doesnt know shit, really.

i love both bands, and seen both bands. nothing alike, except theyre both awesome. and coldplay is more like radiohead than mmj, IF you had to compare, which again i dont want to.

if you HAD to compare mmj to a big band, i would say early pearl jam.

now, back to topic, i heard a few songs off of at dawn last night, and it sounded pretty good, mellow, but good.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
GeMeNeYe
Get Me with Fuji

I agree, nuff said. They're not really similar enough to warrant discussion. But instead of letting this die, I thought I'd site my source. My info (and this was NOT my opinion, mind you) came from none other than the writers of Rolling Stone. Here's some info about it, from Stereogum (blogsite that gave BAM some glowing remarks recently):

http://www.stereogum.com/archives/002078.html

'Nugg

diesel wrote:ok, thats enough. please end the discussion of mmj to radiohead. theyre nothing alike, nothing. GeMeNeYe, wherever you read the comparison, or whoever wrote that piece doesnt know shit, really.
True. Radiohead sucks ass and MMJ rocks yer face.

Hey Phrazz, did you take that pic of Jim you posted? Really nice shot....
tyler
From the Gecko

blasphemy. radiohead are incredible.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

GeMeNeYe wrote:I agree, nuff said. They're not really similar enough to warrant discussion. But instead of letting this die, I thought I'd site my source. My info (and this was NOT my opinion, mind you) came from none other than the writers of Rolling Stone. Here's some info about it, from Stereogum (blogsite that gave BAM some glowing remarks recently):

http://www.stereogum.com/archives/002078.html
well, after reading the article i stand corrected.. yes, they're more like the muppets.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
tim
The Weight of Solomon

i ganked it yesterday cause i plan on buying the dvd the day it comes out. it's pretty awesome. songs don't deviate much from their album counterparts but it's rockin' nonetheless.