Song of the moment: You Might Say

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

Song of the moment: You Might Say

So, i was relaxin at home, organizing my digital music, and soft machine from ICT poped up. damn that was good. so it gave me an idea:

lets do a thread about 'song of the week/month/date'. the slip has so many songs out there that i sometimes forget about them, because they fall off their play list. so every week or so, lets put up a song to discuss. lyrics, meanings, where you were when you heard it, experiences, whatever. and if by chance we can all agree on a certain date that the song really stood out, we can put it up here to download.

hows that sound?

Song of the moment is You Might Say
Last edited by diesel on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

I'm down... yeah.. Soft Machine from ICT was steller... I been meaning to listen to that disk.. (if not just for the eube)...

I really like the song.. do you guys remember when it was just a little riff after they played else.. and we used to call it "if" or something like that... man.. it's been really cool to watch this song change and morph into what it is today.. definately one of their first songs toward this whole "indy" type sound they've been playing...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
francis
From the Gecko

ICT?
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

my favorite slip song and moment was You Might Say from 2-25-2000 Palookaville Santa Cruz, CA

I was already a year into my slip Fasination when I found Oz. I was given a list of shows to grab and was downloading them slowly.

Then one day i burned 2-25-00 and the show was just stellar from start, and then boom it hits me, this song i hadnt heard, I wondered if it was a slipsong and the lyrics just captivated me for some reason,

It was a style that i really hadnt heard the slip play to that date, but i was limited in my show quantity.

But that is my favorite slip moment and my favorite song, and favorite version of it. It is the one song i would LOVE to hear live next time im out.

Dan
(anyone with me?)
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

francis wrote:ICT?
Ice Cream Truck @ stone bear..
08/07/2004: Tyrone Farm - The Ice Cream Truck: Pomfret, CT
Set I: Boubacar Giabate (master Kora player/singer from Senegal) with Brad & Andrew play set of West African music.
Set II: Eube!, Mudslide, Back in 15 Minutes, My Landlord >Fear of Falling, beautiful intro > Soft Machine, Sweet Thing+, Come Over, Proud@, Spice Groove > The Shouters#, More about Me%, Dogs on Bikes
Encore: Children of December > With or Without You^
Notes: + Van Morrison cover, @ Proud featured vocals by Brad. # during Groove > Shouters segue, Boubacar came out and sang for couple of minutes. % last time they played this was Bethel Farm, 2002. ^ U2 cover (w/ Sara Azriel on vocals. The Slip's sets started at sunset and went 'til midnight; the stars came out over the stage area just as BAM was starting the set, one couldn't have asked for a more perfect night. Openers were Overclock Orchestra, Zion Blood, Sara Azriel, Caveman, Boubacar Giabate (with Brad & Andrew). [ Betty <furbally1ATaolDOTcom, Cleantone, Phrazz ]
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
rhythmicstorm
Get Me with Fuji

dan, i love that version of you 'might say' too.

i remember when they first played that song. i was at the peak of my slippedness when that song was raging.

good one!

sara
You that love lovers, this is your home. Welcome!
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

ok, lets try to stick to one song at a time. i wanted to talk about soft machine, but since dans already brought up you might say and gave a date for his fave, then we'll start with this.

we'll save soft machine for when its on the radio. :wink:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
etahn
From the Gecko

I remember a YMS from Harrisburg, PA, a few years back. I don't remember if it was very good, but it must not have been very bad.

That one from Cruz is pretty slammin' too, but I think the best I've heard is 12/30/02 from the Paradise in Boston. OMFG good. I know I've ranted about this one before, so I won't do it again. Let it suffice to say that it's up there on my all time musical moments. And while I'm thinking about it, I've got aud tapes from that night (via Cleantone), but I remember being up near the sound board and seeing somebody's laptop, which means there's boards in existence. Who's gonna hook that up? The whole show was fucking hot, with a Tenfold, and a Landing, and a Sweet Thing (another best ever, IMHO) and all of it with horns. Man, that shit was on fire.

Back to YMS, though. Rumor has it that the one they played in Fredonia that year was the best ever, bar none. my right nut (or at least the contents thereof, which I'm sure will be freed if it's anywhere near as good as it's supposed to be) to whoever can hook me up a copy.

And while I'm thinking about it, all the lyrics are pretty clear except the falsetto. WTF does he say there?
The world really is magic
tim
The Weight of Solomon

etahn wrote:I remember a YMS from Harrisburg, PA, a few years back. I don't remember if it was very good, but it must not have been very bad.
i remember they dedicated that one to peter prince(of moon boot lover fame).

i've always liked the 12/29/00 YMS and, if you were there, how could anyone forget the YMS from NYE at the narrows? wait, i take that back...the narrows was BYOB, i'm sure more than a few people weren't remembering much after that night.
Phrazz

You Might Say (lyrics, shows, ICT photo)

Ok, for reference ease, here's some more info:
You Might Say

Eube said to let two be one
Of my friendships I'll admit
I've let so many come undone
Deliver me now from this monk on the run
Before he swallows me head to toe
Five to one

I see the poets of my generation disappearing in the sun
How foolish am I to even think that I'm one
When there's so many here tonight
Steady as I am, ready as I am
Steady

You might say
You're drowning as I am
Swollen by emptiness and mechanized quiet
You might say
You've already lost
No way you can help your little ship from getting tossed

You might say
You might say

(falsetto part)

Dug my heels in foreign land
Standing poised by the mountains
Dropping apples in the sand
These kind of ventures are beyond my command
And the swallow me head to toe
Five to one

I see the poets of my generation disappearing in the sun
How foolish am I to even think that I'm one
When there's so many here tonight
Steady as I am, ready as I am
Steady

You might say
You're drowning as I am
Hardened by effigees and mechanized choirs
You might say
You've already lost
No way you can help your little ship from getting tossed

You might say
You might say

(falsetto part)
<h3>Setlists found matching 'You Might Say'</h3>

19980516: Common Ground: Brattleboro, VT
Set I: common ground, Camp Shuie, Children of Atlantis, Metroplatypus, <b>You Might Say</b>, Rhythm-a-ning
19980926: Delta Upsilon Basement - Bucknell University: Lewisburg, PA
Set I: Kid Nikki, 54-46 Was My Number, Munf, Ernie Mickey (Volunteer of the Week), <b>You Might Say</b>, The Chicken, Yellow Medicine, (maybe others...)
19981001: Higher Ground: Winooski, VT
Set I: Munf, Punde-a-mo, ?, Don't Foil the Mohel, <b>You Might Say</b>, (old/new tune by Marc), Rhythm and Gold
19990914: O'Connell House - Boston College: Chestnut Hill, MA
Set I: instrumental?, <b>You Might Say</b>, Crumbed, So Dope, Co-Op City, Johnny's Tune
19990918: Somerville Theater: Somerville, MA
Set I: Invocation, Crazy Heels, Johnny's Tune, Nellie Jean, Yellow Medicine, <b>You Might Say</b>, Bye-Ya (T.Monk), The Lucky Dragon, Hoc No Seh, Picklebucket Jam, The Weight of Solomon, Dogs on Bikes
19991005: Pollinator: Pittsburgh, PA
Set I: Camp Shuey, Munf, Co-op City, <b>You Might Say</b>> Sandman, Johnny's Tune, unnamed fast blues
19991011: The Cue Bar: Iowa City, IA
Set II: So Dope, Camp Shuey, You'll Find a Home, Yellow Medicine, <b>You Might Say</b>, Hoc No Seh, Cool #9, Dogs on Bikes^
19991012: Cicero's: St. Louis, MO
Set I: Wolof, The Flood of Joyful Existence Waters, Tempus Forget It, <b>You Might Say</b>, Johnny's Tune, Don't Foil the Mohel, The Weight of Solomon, Crumbed, Clementine, Yellow Medicine, Nellie Jean
19991106: Wetlands Preserve: New York, NY
Set I: Oh Way Oh (andrew singalong) > Pickle Bucket Jam > Air of the Body, Nellie Jean, Johnny's Tune > techno weirdness > Gecko (fast), <b>You Might Say</b>, My Room, Cumulus (w/sitar)*, Ernie Mickey> Moral Decay, Flood of Joyful Existence Waters**, Dogs on Bikes
19991113: Raindancer: Seattle, WA
Set I: So Dope, Nellie Jean, Yellow Medicine, Johnny's Tune, <b>You Might Say</b>, Rhythm-a-ning
1: Intrumental, Spice Groove, Nellie Jean, So Dope, <b>You Might Say</b>, Dogs on Bikes:
19991203: Gifford Annex Lounge, Middlebury College: Middlebury, VT
Set I: Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly, ?, Munf, Highlands, <b>You Might Say</b>, Co-op City > The Weight of Solomon, Summertime
19991209: Iron Horse Music Hall: Northampton, MA
Set I: jam, Crazy Heels, Pictures of Callisto, Joe Higley, Tempus Forget It, Yellow Medicine, Nellie Jean, <b>You Might Say</b>, Johnny's Tune, Moral Decay, Antiquity, Metroplatypus, Dogs on Bikes
19991217: The Garage: Washington, DC
Set I: Aptos, "We Three Kings" jam, <b>You Might Say</b>, Invocation, Johnny's Tune, Nellie Jean, Don't Foil the Mohel
20000127: Higher Ground: Winooski, VT
Set I: Wolof, Highlands, Yellow Medicine, Nellie Jean, So Dope, <b>You Might Say</b>, Rhythm-a-ning, Moral Decay, Rhythm and Gold, Spice Groove > Human Nature*, Dogs on Bikes
20000203: Bates College: Lewiston, ME
Set II: <b>You Might Say</b>, Johnny's Tune, Techno Weirdness, Lullaby tease> Alsoa, Just A Closer Walk with Thee, Torque, Dogs on Bikes
20000217: Sit 'n' Spin: Seattle, WA
Set I: Jam> Yellow Medicine, Nellie Jean, Ernie Mickey, <b>You Might Say</b>, Clementine, Don't Foil the Mohel, Camp Shuey> Munf, Moral Decay, You'll Find a Home, More About Me, Rhythm-a-ning*
20000219: Good Times Cafe: Eugene, OR
Set II: The Lucky Dragon, Don't Foil the Mohel, <b>You Might Say</b>, Yellow Medicine, ?>Dogs on Bikes
20000225: Palookaville: Santa Cruz, CA
Set I: Invocation, Johnny's Tune, Yellow Medicine>Yippayuck, Rhythm-a-ning, <b>You Might Say</b>, Dogs on Bikes
20000323: 8x10: Baltimore, MD
Set I: Co-op City, Rhythm-a-ning, Nellie Jean, Johnny's Tune, <b>You Might Say</b>, Yellow Medicine, Joe Higley, The Lucky Dragon> Air of the Body tease> The Lucky Dragon
20000407: Planet 505: Syracuse, NY
Set I: Ernie Mickey, Highlands, Spice Groove> Yellow Medicine> Happy Birthday to Sara and Melissa > Yellow Medicine, Yellow Medicine teases> <b>You Might Say</b>
20000413: Higher Ground: Winooski, VT
Set I: Nellie Jean, Tempus Forget It, Johnny's Tune, Camp Shuey, <b>You Might Say</b>, Ernie Mickey
20000415: El-N-Gee's: New London, CT
Set I: Wolof, <b>You Might Say</b>, Crazy Heels, Joe Higley, Don't Foil the Mohel, You'll Find a Home, Trane-ing
20000420: Pearl Street (Downstairs): Northampton, MA
Set I: Rhythm and Gold, When a Dragon Squeezes His Lucky Toe (The Lucky Dragon + Squeezy Toe), My Room, <b>You Might Say</b>, Nellie Jean, Rhythm-a-ning
20000421: Valentine's: Albany, NY
Set I: Aptos, Co-op City, <b>You Might Say</b>, Camp Shuey, Johnny's Tune, HocNoSeh, The Highlands, Torque (hard rock finish) > Yoyo My Little Brown-Eyed Babushka, Moral Decay
20000520: Hobart and William Smith Folkfest (The Barn): Geneva, NY
Set I: Spice Groove, Nellie Jean, <b>You Might Say</b>, Yellow Medicine, Tune in 7 (Satyricon), Moral Decay
20000630: Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel: Providence, RI
Set I: Rhythm and Gold, Ernie Mickey, <b>You Might Say</b>, My Room, Spice Groove > Evil Chase Music
20000713: Raindancer: Seattle, WA
Set I: Dogs on Bikes, Nellie Jean>Yellow Medicine, <b>You Might Say</b>, Field No Further, Spice Groove***
20000720: The Fox Theater: Boulder, CO
Set I: Catacea > Invocation, Phase I, Spice Groove, Nellie Jean, <b>You Might Say</b>
20000903: moe.down: Snowridge Ski Area, Turin, NY
Set I: Co-op City, Johnny's Tune, The Highlands, <b>You Might Say</b>, Don't Foil the Mohel, Moral Decay
20000913: Blind Pig Pub: Ann Arbor, MI
Set I: Munf, <b>You Might Say</b>, Johnny's Tune>Evil Chase tease, Nellie Jean, Trane-ing, Joe Higley
20000923: Wild Duck Music Hall: Eugene, OR
Set I: Camp Shuie>Munf, <b>You Might Say</b>, My Room, So Dope, 54-46 Was My Number, Wolof*, Moral Decay#
20001005: The Lucky Dragon: Tempe, AZ
Set I: Wolof, Pictures of Callisto, Ernie Mickey, My Room, <b>You Might Say</b>, Rhythm-a-ning
20001011: ???: Steamboat Springs, CO
Set I: Untitled Tune In 9>New Untitled Vocal tune, Kid Nikki, Ambrosia, Don't Foil The Mohel, <b>You Might Say</b>, Little Lulu
20001104: Valentine's: Albany, NY
Set I: Ernie Mickey, In Russia with Love, <b>You Might Say</b>, Trane-ing, The Weight of Solomon, Johnny's Tune, Wompset>Tomorrow tease > jam > (Take A) Beetle to the Badlands*
20001119: WMRQ: Hartford, CT
Set I: The Lucky Dragon (Santa Claus is Coming to Town and The Woods teases by Marc), <b>You Might Say</b>, Trane-ing, Dogs on Bikes, Rhythm and Gold
20001229: Wetlands Preserve: New York, NY
Set I: Trane-ing> Wolof, Nellie Jean, Aptos, <b>You Might Say</b>
20010315: Winston's: San Diego, CA
Set I: Munf > Co-op City, My Room, <b>You Might Say</b>, Johnny's Tune > Nellie Jean > Jam > Fast Blues
20010413: Haunt: Ithaca, NY
Set I: Get Me with Fuji, Don't Foil the Mohel, <b>You Might Say</b>, Trane-ing, Joe Higley, Cumulus (hollow body)
20010424: Toad's Place: New Haven, CT
E: <b>You Might Say</b>, Just a Closer Walk with Me
20010502: Howlin' Wolf: New Orleans, LA
Set I: So Dope> Cumulus, When the Saints Go Marching In> The Lucky Dragon, <b>You Might Say</b>, Dogs on Bikes, Rhythm-a-ning (w/ Casey Benjamin)
20020211: Old Point Bar: New Orleans, LA
Set I: Trane-ing, So Dope, Nellie Jean > Dear Melina, Just a Closer Walk with Thee, <b>You Might Say</b>
20020323: Double Door: Chicago, IL
Set I: Dear Melina, Get Me with Fuji, Nellie Jean > Aptos, <b>You Might Say</b>, Cumulus*, Johnny's Tune, Sometimes True to Nothing
20020503: Harrisburg Community College: Harrisburg PA
Set I: Intro, Hoc No Seh, Don't Foil the Mohel, Dear Melina, Get Me with Fuji, Sunny Weather (2nd time ever played, according to Brad), <b>You Might Say</b> (Brad dedicated this to Peter Prince)> Jam?....
20020921: Old Main Inn: Fredonia, NY
Set I: Munf, <b>You Might Say</b>, Nellie Jean, Spice Groove*, Dear Melina
20021023: Great American Music Hall: San Francisco, CA
Set II: In Russia with Love*, <b>You Might Say</b>, Witch in the Kitchen, Brad banter, Sometimes True to Nothing
20021109: Stella Blue: Asheville, NC
Set I: TEWDACYATM*, Tonight We Leave Chicago, Ernie Mickey , <b>You Might Say</b>, Chatter, Nellie Jean
20021114: State Theater: Falls Church, VA
Set I: Improv> 74, Nellie Jean> Aptos, <b>You Might Say</b>, Rhythm-a-ning
20021123: Le Swimming: Montreal, QUE (CAN)
Set I: Munf, Driving Backwards with You, Johnny's Tune, Else%, Aptos, <b>You Might Say</b>, Rhythm-a-ning
20021230: Paradise Rock Club: Boston, MA
Set I: Landing* > Trane-ing*, Clementine! (amazing with the horns), <b>You Might Say</b>, Nellie Jean, Pungee*!
20041231: Narrows Center for the Arts: Fall River, MA
Set II: "Franklin Horatio Marshalls III", "Space"> Hey Worrier, <b>You Might Say</b>> "New Years" (Meowskers rant/count down)> Children of December#, "Entertainer jam", Johnny's Tune, Else^, Blue Moon
<b>You Might Say</b> was found at 51 shows.

Who went to the Ice Cream Truck? What a blast! Nothing like being Down on the Farm. That was my fave (I can remember), but there's probably some tasty treats on all these shows.

diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

cool thanks phrazz

im diggin up 12-30-02 and 2-25-00. if anyone has any other tastey treats let me and i'll put it up.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Thanks for that, d.

Something I noticed on the '00 show - at about 7:10, Brad breaks into a tune they played like once or twice, I think maybe at a wetlands show? I know we've had this discussion before, and even the inimitable Torph couldn't name it.

Any ideas????
etahn
From the Gecko

That was me, BTW. About the wetlands show.

Anyway, I'm oly about half way through the Paradise show, and it's already got my vote (again). The way they drop out to nothing before Marc's solo, and the way Marc throws it down in his solo are enough for me. Not to mention Brad's solo. It's just too fucking great.

I think I just soiled myself.
The world really is magic
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

et, do you have that show in .mp3, can you put it online somewhere? preferably 192 vbr, but im not that picky :mrgreen:

or if someone can put it on bt, i'd also appreciate that.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH