Slip 2004 Compilation.. YOU CAN HELP!!

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Are you down with this...??

Hell yeah.. let's hook some people up and get some love for the boys
81%
Nah... I think it'll just be a waste of time..
19%

Total votes: 16

tim
The Weight of Solomon

tim wrote:do you know this person?!?!? reason i ask is cause they have two shows i've been DYING to get a hold of(2/8/01 & 10/08/04)!
scratch that, i think i figured out how this thing works(never used it before). alot of people are gonna be getting emails from me :twisted:
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

Tim.... I don't think that's one particular person.. that's just what shows are some people have and collectively what's on db.etree

So far so good... will give it another day or two before we cultivate all the suggestions.... and out of that... we'll see what clinton has (matrixes if he can use them) and how the overall quality of the songs are (taping quality, amount of crowd noise {i.e. annoying chatter}, overall song...) Also remember.. if we're gonna squeeze it all on 1 disk.. we got like 84 minutes to do so... so we must choose.. but choose wisely...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
iandigstheslip
Mudslide

So, I've read about 1/3 of the posts on this topic, and I apologize for skipping ahead, but if you want one consistantly good quality show, that sounds grewat with good renditions of current songs, why not use the Sirius radio gig?
-Ian
tim
The Weight of Solomon

the sirius show is great but i don't believe it's indicative of the slip's total sound. that's just my opinion though.
ScS
From the Gecko

also, if we are looking to portray the slips growth from jan 04 to dec 04, we need to have a compilation that includes songs from the entire year and not one specific show.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
iandigstheslip
Mudslide

So going back, and actuall yreading all of the posts, I still feel that The Sirius Radio gig in its entirety is bomb, that leaves 20 minutes to fill on the disc and both Holly Would and the Unprotected Sex Song from High Sierra last July are the most FUCKING AMAZING THINGS EVER!!! The Duo is now getting more attention thatn BAM, and Marcos's solo during the sex song is off the hook!
The Slip - Sirius Radio Broadcast
Filler: Surprise Me Mr. Davis w/ Marco Benevento on Keys

love it.
-Ian
iandigstheslip
Mudslide

Are we trying to show growth, or where they are at now?
There are NO tourdates on the horizon, save for a handfull of Davis dates, so it might be a good thing to introduce the newbies to the last taste left in our mouths. Also, while the vocals might not be at 100%, lets be honest, when are they? I'm not trying to have this converation though.
I guess my point is, lets be honest with the newcomers, I don't wan't them to be scared when they roll up to the club and its not quite like it was on the recording you dig?
-Ian
If theres' one thing I know to be true: let what you love, be what you do.
ScS
From the Gecko

i hear what you are saying. i guess i kind of feel that this compilation is also for the old standby's as well. we are putting time into it so we want it to be perfect for everyone. we want newbies to get a handle on where the slip are now and we want to paint a portrait of 2004 for those who have been listening all year. maybe we could make two samplers. a sampler for the listers and a sampler for the newbies. more work, but wouldn't that be interesting to see what makes it on each?
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

that's why I said about putting a couple SMMD tracks on it.. just so people can get the total idea of what/who the slip are and what they can do...

I don't agree though that we should use the sirius set.. being a slip fan.. I loved the sirius set, but I really feel it lacked a lot of the energy that a normal show does.. hence why I think we should stick with other shows, more so... But, in the end.. I'll write down all the songs... and a majority rules.. ya know... and that's what we'll go ahead with...

But I still think we should put some SMMD on it... specifically for the noobs.. that way.. if they are planning on going to see them.. they are not caught with their pants down...(and even if they were, who cares.. SMMD rules!)
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
Big Bob
From the Gecko

If this is going to be a 2004 compilation (and it seems to be leaning that way) i think track 01 should be the best version of Lotsa Sox that we can find.

I also think the album could use a 2004 performance of Fuji, my personal favorites are 4-18-04 at the Axis, and the Ft. Collins, CO show (i forget the date) both are pretty sick and fairly unique versions, in my opinion

edit: Ft. Collins was 9-15-04. The Lotsa Sox is pretty good from that show too, btw. How many shows has Lotsa Sox been played at? anyone have a suggestion for best version of Lotsa Sox?

Nellie Jean>jam>Ego Tripping from Ft. Collins are also solid (do we want any covers?)

the 10-2-04 Lotsa Sox is sick but its awful crowd noise and I don't think we can use it because it is an official release. Another taper was at that show, but I am not certain of the quality of the recording
Last edited by Big Bob on Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

I'd rather have a fugi on there than say a december's children.. 8)

both good suggestions.. I think a really good/strong Proud would be good too...

glad to see the list ever growing... keep it up people....
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
Big Bob
From the Gecko

well the thing about Get Me with Fuji and December's Children is that while some of us may be sick of them, people who have never heard those songs before are not.

If this CD is intended to reach out to people who have not heard The SLiP before, perhaps both would be good selections? (although both can be found on official releases, so maybe not)

I bet most of us can agree that at one point we loved both songs, even if that is no longer the case. (though, i still enjoy getting with fuji on occasion)
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

no.. I totally agree with you.. and I love both songs.. and the suggestions will be taken... you're right though.. we're giving these to people that might not have heard the slip... so it's important to have some real strong ones on there... Tomorrow afternoon... (during my lunch) I will post the songs...(probably in another post, possibly poll style) and we see what we have and make the selections from there.. all in all.. keep the posts coming.....
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
ScS
From the Gecko

i think we should put the even rats where you can hear brad say "scratch that..." it's from the fall but i can't remember the exact date of it.
scs
delray beach, florida

Big Bob
From the Gecko

I think Even Rats is a neccessity if the cd is to express the direction that the slip is headed

Regarding Dan's SlipStream and trying to get it out there
(this is kind of continued from THE APTOS PROJECT thread)

I think we should write dan's link down on each cd (probably the cover, if they have one, otherwise maybe just on the cd itself) with a note that says something along the lines of "visit this link to hear more"