ISO new music

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

bitchtits
Alsoa

cool well hoby if your ever going to any good shows maybe one of the SMMD shows or nathan moore in the city let me know.

Brian
Thrice you have rescued me from falling grace;
once when I was a beggar and you were the rain on my face,
once when I was crippled and you carried me,
and once when the blindness of others taught me how to see.

tyler
From the Gecko

BUMP

Anyone else digging the new Black Keys album?
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Drug Rug out of Boston is pretty sweet. Here is a show I recorded recently that features Jesse and Jeremy from Apollo Sunshine for the second half of the set. Check it out.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

i've been listening to the new black keys album alot actually, Danger Mouse did a great job on the album, it's nice to hear one of their albums with some layers (background vocals, some extra guitar tracks)

I'm pumped for the new My Morning Jacket album, plus I just found out their coming to Toronto so I will definitly be attending
tim
The Weight of Solomon

ok, i guess we can start talking about the new MMJ now. what's everyone think? personally, i love it. seems like people are really on board with it or really let down. not too much middle ground from what i've been reading on other sites and msg boards. IMO, half the songs are A+ material (evil urges, touch me pt 1 & 2, thank you, librarian, aluminum park and smoking from shooting). the rest is enjoyable, i've even come around on 'highly suspicious' which was a total WTF song for me at first.

in other news: spiritualized 'songs in a&e' is really good and i've been a total freak for the new cut copy album, listening to it almost everyday for a month now.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

i'm a big MMJ fan and im still undecided on whether or not i really like this album
i'm diggin a bunch of the songs mainly from the first half of the album, but others i find my self turning off half way, i guess it will just take a few more listens
going to see them on monday though, im sure the show will be rocking
putty
From the Gecko

Evil Urges is every bit as good as all of their other albums. Just an amazing rock album.

The only song on the album I don't really care for is Two Halves, but it's not all that bad.

Jim James is the best frontman in rock right now. Can't wait for this tour.
GeMeNeYe
Get Me with Fuji

Bon Iver

Justin Vernon (aka Bon Iver) has a handful of really great songs on "For Emma, Forever Ago" -- the first three tracks and the final track are particularly fine pieces of music - haunting, emotive, dark but uplifting. Great, great melodies. The production is a little grassroots here and there, but I dig it.

Anyone else dig em?
putty
From the Gecko

yeah, Bon Iver is great music. he's opening for Wilco in Charleston in August. i'm trying to get to that one.
fourthaye
Lion on a Rock

Check out Dorian Small!!

http://www.myspace.com/doriansmall

They will be touring with JFJO on the upcoming tour!
~good energy perpetuates good energy~
tyler
From the Gecko

liking the new MMJ a lot. Highly Suspicious is fantastic. My only complaints is that it gets a little too mellow in the middle--should've spread those slow songs out a little more. oh, and Thank You Too sucks. but apart from that it's great AND I'M GOING TO SEE THEM IN MONTREAL ON TUESDAY YES.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

the MMJ show was fucking incredible, truly a balls out rock and roll show
the band played for 2.5 hours and played as if it were their last show
i highly recommend that if they're coming to your home town, you go to the show, best concert i've seen since the allman brothers at the beacon theatre 2005
you'd think they'd be tired from Bonnaroo (toronto was the first show of the tour) but it did not appear that way at all
highlights of the show were an extended Run Thru (10mins +) and my personal favourite Golden
once again, see these guys if they come through your town, cause next tour could definitly be stadiums and ampitheatres as opposed to mid sized clubs (kool haus holds 2000 people approx)
tyler
From the Gecko

yeah the Montreal show was immense. though they played for "only" 2 hours there. the club was tiny though, it was about the size of the big room at Higher Ground + a balcony so I'd say it held no more than 1000...definitely the last chance i'll ever get to see them in a place that small. loved hearing the Evil Urges songs live for the first time, especially the two parts of Touch Me and of course HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS. best part is that i didn't even miss all the songs i like that they didn't play, because i'll be seeing them in the fall where they're apparently playing 2.5 or 3 hours every night. they better play Cobra at that one, though.

and in keeping with the spirit of this board, i saw Brad and Andrew outside the club afterwards, an encounter made all the stranger because i was wearing that yellow Slip shirt with the Eisenhower creature on the front of it. Brad actually got a shout from Jim James during the show, i guess he let the band borrow some equipment or something. maybe that rain-soaked Bonnaroo gig incurred a few casualties in MMJ's gear.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

man The Slip should have been the openers on this tour, cause this tour is the important one
the Bresnard Lakes were preeettyyyy bad, to be fair the girl running their soundboard wasn't doing that great of a job
to make a band sound good in the Kool Haus is noooooo easy feat, but MMJ's guy didn't stop moving the whole time, he did an unbelievable job
tyler
From the Gecko

at Le National the sound was great for MMJ and good for most of The Besnard Lakes, but at the start the drums were way too high in the mix and very distracting. i didn't catch all of their set but it struck me as the kind of music that would work better on record, though it's tough to judge since i hadn't heard them before.

it was kind of like seeing Low open for the 2 Wilco shows I saw last summer (although at that point I knew and liked Low). Low is a great band, but damn, their sound just doesn't work when they're playing in bright sunlight in huge amphitheaters.