Post reviews of IKE here

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

brians
Poor Boy

does anyone remember when a few pictures on the main page could download random clips.. maybe about two years ago? one of them was a song called little brian, which i think was on brads myspace a while ago. anyway, does moth wing bite remind anyone else of it.... think moth wing may be an evolved little brian, but im not sure.
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

brians wrote:does anyone remember when a few pictures on the main page could download random clips.. maybe about two years ago? one of them was a song called little brian, which i think was on brads myspace a while ago. anyway, does moth wing bite remind anyone else of it.... think moth wing may be an evolved little brian, but im not sure.
Dan, you rascal, is that what you were referring to with your little puzzle? :lol:

I've never heard, or heard of, that tune.

But I do have to say, as much as I enjoy Mothwing Bite, it's the only one on the album that feels to me like a bit of a throwaway. It's fun to listen to, great hooks, etc. I imagine if I shut up and really pay attention I'll find the gems inside, but my first reaction is that it doesn't carry the weight of the other tunes. (Probably because I have such a history of with the other ones.)

peace,

hoby
hoby

Jonah wrote:-They took off the customary distortion on Brad's voice in Suffocation Keep. The way it is now the vocals are clean and clear and really dominate the tune. Before you could understand them if you tried but they fit in nicely with the music forming this really beautiful sound. I think the words are good but not so commanding that they need to be forced out there like that. I really dug the distortion.
That was a cool effect. But I think there's a definite purpose in replacing the air of mystery with one of intimacy. As I said in my review, this track is ready for some soundtrack action.
Man that beat that Andrew does on the bass drum and the rim when he comes in is just dirty but it never happens again in the whole tune (maybe that's intentional, i suppose).
A tried and true production technique. Always leave them wanting more. That's what makes a great hook. Some hooks happen throughout a tune and become signatures. The hooks that get you comning back for repeated listenings happen once or maybe twice and you go back to listen with anticipation for that moment.
Even Rats is way too over produced. I really think this is a killer tune but the edge is completely gone in this version. It sounds like you're hearing it out of a video game system like you would playing Guitar Hero.

Yes, a lot of work has gone into packing that mix chock full of candy and I've been loving it all through repeated listenings. They did a great job of creating a radio-ready version of the edgy tune we "grew up" with.

Someone jump in here if I'm mis-stating things, but it seems like everyone who's heard the disc agrees that this album represents a very conscious and concerted effort to break through to the next level of public awareness. The video game placement turns out to be an important piece of that campaign.
-Children of December is a kick-ass song but I think I've heard it 500 times by now
Me too. And yet, I'm still enjoying the hell out of it over and over on this disc. And I'm really enjoying the fact that I'm enjoying it so much! Really! I'm not just being cute. I am so happy that I can enjoy this disc and appreciate the work they've done on it despite its obvious (in my perception) goals.

I'm feeling a little funny about being so unrelentingly positive about the music on this disc. I tried to make up for it in my full review by coming up with all these heavy ancillary philosophical issues for us to bat about. :D

peace,

hoby
hoby

Robyn wrote:I haven't heard the album yet, but I must say I felt like I was on a roller coaster ride reading your review Hoby. You are a great observer and I admire your rawness.
Thanks, Robyn. If you felt that way reading, then I guess my review did a good job of conveying my reactions, because that's exactly how I've been feeling during my constant playing of this disc. Between the joy at the music itself and the production effort and the thinking about the other stuff, it's been a wild ride.
Doesn't it say in Airplane Primative "Well come with me on one last run." "Then I swear I'll join you in the sun." Now I wonder what all of that is about. It sounds like one last run is one last run of shows, doesn't it? I know, I know...I'm probably reading into the lyrics the wrong way......what else is new, huh?
I think Sam G. said in his review that this song is about death. I haven't lived with the lyrics enough to know. But as I read the lyrics over now, they do strike a chord. I remember once hearing a story like that. But then I wonder if the song is about dealing with change, with radical possibilities. Ah, what do I know?

As for your interpretation, it reminds me of when people got all upset because the Dead started playing "The Last Time" by the Stones and the folks didn't want to be reminded of the fact that it *could* always be the last time - for anything. But I always thought that's a really important thing to keep in mind. Helps me to appreciate whatever's going on.

peace,

hoby
hoby

putty wrote:Hoby

You've raised a question that gets asked repeatedly in many forums. Once a thing goes from grass roots to main stream, it loses what made it great in the first place. That seems to be an unavoidable fact of life.

But sometimes what that thing (in this case The Slip) loses, it picks up somewhere else. The Slip have laid the foundation with 8 or 9 years of playing roots music. Jazz, funk, blues, rock, americana, folk, pop. And they've done it with a positive feeling throughout. That's what attracted me in the first place -- the goodness obviously coming from the musicians as they perform.

And like any of us, as we grow older, we change and have new influences and want new things. Luckily that foundation was laid. And whatever they create, with their chops they've gathered along the way, will be positive.

If joe music fan starts to get into The Slip because of the candy, that's because it's sweet, and that's okay. Luckily for them and us, they've found that the candy is not only sweet, but also healthy and good for you. I'm always an advocate for the main stream being subjected to real talent.

Anyway, I think the album is what would happen if The Slip set out to reach an audience much bigger than this chatroom. They knew exactly what they were making when they made it. I wish them the best of luck and I'll continually bother my friends here in Athens about how much I love this band.
Thank you for your thoughtful answer. But, with all due respect, I think perhaps you missed my point. Everything you say makes up the unspoken foundation for the points I made in my post, but my questions were never about the band or their natural progression and growth. What attracted you to the Slip is the same thing that attracted me and I see this growth as inevitable.

I agree with you about the disc and part of my excitement is that I think they've succeeded in creating sonething that achieves their goal.

My question was to, and about, our community and how we react to the inevitable changes that come with BAM achieving their goals and the effect it will necessarily have on our relationship with these three men.

Do we throw up our hands, yell "SELL OUT" and stalk off to find the next unknown? (Not me. At least not until the Brad and Ashlee Simpson duet gets released. :lol: )

Do we sit around and grouse about the good old days? (Not unless I'm really grumpy because my prostate is acting up. :lol: :oops: :shock: )

Do we find a way to welcome newcomers such they they learn and understand the energy that makes these guys the focal point of our community? (Sounds good. How the hell do we do that effectively?)

Do we stop typing so much and go get a life? I'll bet some folks are wishing I would.

Anyway, these are the questions that interest me. How can we best interact with and, as much as possible, help the talent that brings us such joy? How can we grow our scene healthily? Is it even possible?

Thanks again for your response.

peace,

hoby
hoby

Re: Where From Here

David wrote: There was a moment after the SliP took the stage but before they played a single note that sent shivers down my neck. Brad Barr cradled his jazz box, looked at Andrew, stood up on his toes, and took a deep breath. In a time when bands often beat the drum for themselves in self-servience louder than their audience is beating it, this was a band of spirituality and humility I rarely see in the world, nevermind at a sweat-soaked music show. It was a elegiac and inspiring.

The SliP demanded more from an audience then I ever knew an audience could give. It was taxing just to stand near the stage for three hours while the band played intros and outros and inbetweens. But it was worth every minute. What the band gave out was also equally astounding.
David, this was absolutely beautiful. Thank you.
Where I once felt there was a band out there that could change people's perceptions of music and what it meant to be an active listener and indeed a participant in the creative process, there is now a very good rock band.
Interesting. I think that the live show is where that former band can, and hopefully will, still exist. If the scene becomes such that the band must isolate themselves from the community in order to "survive" personally, the same old story will play out. A lot will depend on what goes down on the other side of the stage lights. Our side. Don't know how. Don't know why. But I feel like we have a part in how this plays out.

Thanks again for those two wonderful paragraphs.

peace,

hoby
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

yeah little brian was what i was hinting out.

It is now gone from Brads Myspace because mothwing is out there.

I have listened to it a lot, each time i discover more to it. The only part i dont enjoy is the end. Simply it is not fitting. The lyrics i believe hint at where they will go and remembering their home an an earlier life.

cannot wait to see how this board lights up on tuesday

dan
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

hoby wrote: Do we throw up our hands, yell "SELL OUT" and stalk off to find the next unknown? (Not me. At least not until the Brad and Ashlee Simpson duet gets released. :lol: )
:lol: x1000
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

a lot of great points have been made so far by everyone whos posted. i just want to make some general replies and my own thoughts.

this album is awesome. is itoverproduced? um.. well.. that depends. is it like the smashing pumpkins album, siamese dream? no. hoby, made a reference to the beatles. thats a good comparison. this album uses overdubbing, multi tracking, and other effects that i dont have any clue about very well: layered guitars, a well balanced mix, and vocals with make up. throw in some guest help, especially the dude from the stars (cha ching: hip canadian indie score!) and you have a well balanced piece of work. good albums by good bands in this modern era of evolved rock should be made this way. the only question you should ask yourself when you hear an album like this, is this: can the band pull this off live? luckily for us, we all know.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
hoby

diesel wrote:the only question you should ask yourself when you hear an album like this, is this: can the band pull this off live? luckily for us, we all know.
Well, technically, they can't. Not with just the three of them. Brad won't be able to double or triple his vocals live on stage or play multiple guitar tracks. Marc won't be able to single-handeldly play interlocking bass parts live. Well, okay, maybe he can because of the whole "supra-human alien sent from another planet to play bass" thing. Anyway, you get the idea.

But I would hope that they don't try to pull this off llive. If they keep pulling off what they've always done live, the newcomers who are ready to hear the creative souls beneath the radio hits will get it and those with short-attention-span musical taste will move on. Hopefully, a large enough percentage of newcomers will get it, the band's move to the next level will be permanent, and live Slip shows will still be worth going to every night.

peace,

hoby
Cherie

Colin wrote:
Cleantone wrote: Don't forget that Androo played a 14" Eisenhower Motif Snare drum

If you are refering to the albums recordings, im almost positive that he played his white dennis chambers model snare drum (i believe thats what it was). ive been talkin to cherie online bout his drum sizes and stuff cus i wanna kinda get a similar sound from my own custom kit in the future. she told me only bout a week ago that hed be adding on his 16 floor tom and large kick.
... ive kinda got a andrew barr obsession
As I mentioned in another thread the New snare drum was not finished until 1 day before this recent tour started along with the large bass and floor tom additions

Colin as for snares which may have made it onto this album they include
6 1/2" X 14" Pearl Dennis Chambers ( sharpest sounding on the album)
6 x 14" 24 ply Willoughcraft Lacewood snare ( deepest sounding snare on the album)
5"x14" 10 ply Willoughcraft NATURAL MAPLE ( very crsipy)
There may also have been some limited use of an old 6 lug 5"x14" Leedy Snare
Colin

24 ply, thats interesting. never heard of that. then again, willoughcraft is pretty innovative and im shure theres alot of new things your all doing over there i am not aware of. do u happen to have a picture of one of your lacewood snares?
Cherie

A few Lacewood samples can be seen
http://repercussions.org/lacesamples.html
Cherie

The pics should now be working.
Also there are some pics of the new Wailers drums at
http://www.repercussions.org/wailersgear.html
Be sure to get out and see these guys as once again they are Burnin!
Cherie
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

Ok... got the album yesterday... gave it a good listen, and I'm working my way back through it...

Just some general thoughts...

- is it overproduced... well.. maybe a little, but having gone through the studio process myself, I understand. All of the layering really adds a lot of depth (although, I don't know that they need it, but in trying to make a copacetic approachable album for all it makes for an easier listen.) I will say though, there is a lot of restraint on this album. You don't really hear anything huge out of Marc and there are no long bridges.... our little jazz band has definitely made the move across the bridge to more of a new indy type sound...

- I don't think they'll try and pull this album off live, after all, it's not like most of these songs are new... I mean, they've been playing soft machine since like what 2003-2004... I think they'll stay the course.. I just really hope that they keep bringing the heat and not start doing just album versions of the songs (I seriously doubt this will happen).

- Brad has really found his sound with his voice (although, I find myself missing how high he sang December's children).

ok.. song for song...

1.) Decembers children - This song has been available online for a while so it's been mulled over by us all... I will say this, Pam hated this song... but when she got in the truck yesterday and heard it, she said she actually likes the album version...

2.) Even Rats - Again, it's been out for a while... this is definitely one of the tracks though that has a lot of restraint on it. I understand, but still, this song rocks and their kinda holding it back.. guess that just means when they play it live it will be a complete rocker...

3.) If one of us should fall - Pam and I almost made this song our wedding song, we love it.. from the moment we heard it NYE 2002 (the night I asked Pam to marry me)... but WTF is up with that WOOO HOO HOO shit at the beginning of the song... it's unneeded and the first time I heard the album version online, I actually stopped the track, cause it ruined it... by the end of the song, I love it again, but up until the middle I'm sooo filled with venom because of that 80's bullshit at the beginning of the track... I can honestly say if that wasn't there, this song would be perfect, but for now, I'll stick with the version on Liveelectric....

4.) Airplane/primitive - Good new song, I'm glad they added it to the album... I will say though that I kinda preferred it as an instrumental.. but it's good though

5.) Suffocation Keep - I LOOOOOVE this song.. I always have. I think the album version is almost perfect... I just kinda miss Brad singing through the mega phone effect.... kinda hollowing out his voice... but it translated really well to the album and I'm soo glad I have a version where you can hear brad's singing better.

6.) First Panda in Space - unneeded, but I understand why they did it... it's kinda like when the Grateful Dead made Anthem of the Sun and had to split up That's it for the Other One into Cryptical envelope, etc... you gotta have the single.. so you just make the intro it's own track.. but it's not like we'll ever hear this w/o Soft Machine.

7.) Soft Machine - Good, but almost a little too warm feeling. I like the cold somber versions of it... I'm glad they put it on, but it will always be one of those tracks that will be much better live... again though, it's nice to be able to actually hear brads voice.

8.) Life in Disguise - I heard this and was like "holy shit, I didn't know the Shins would be on this album... :D " It's really good though... definitely a very radio friendly track, I could see this getting played at college radio stations across the nation. Too bad they didn't put on Chasing Rabbits too...

9.) Mothwing bite - Good song, but almost too poppy for me.. I think the verdict is still out for me.. I like it, but it might have to be one of those songs that grows on me... Definitely radio friendly and has MTV video potential... one little nit picky thing is I don't think I like the castanets.....

10.) The Original Blue Air - See Panda in Space... although, I love this intro.. and I understand why they separated it from paperbirds, but I don't ever think it will be played with out paperbirds Incidentally, I love the marimba (or is it steel drum, I think it's marimba, but for all I know it could be a keyboard)

11.) Paper Birds - Awesome... probably the best track on the cd (after my first listen..) But I love this song anyway... not crazy with the effect on brads voice at the end... but definitely glad they put this on here...

it's cool that the 2004 comp is basically this album.. we have good taste... 8)

Like I said, I've only listened to the cd once... (actually twice, as I'm listening to it while I'm writing the review)... so I'm sure my opinions on things will change... Will I say it's their best work... well.. I guess it's a matter of opinion... I think it's a great produced album.. I think I almost like Angels a little better, but I gotta give this album a chance... anyway.. that's my short review...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver