The Slip vs. SMMD (Surprise Me Mr. Davis.)

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

The Slip or SMMD (Surprise Me Mr. Davis.)

The Slip
70%
SMMD (Surprise Me Mr. Davis.)
22%
I can't Choose, it is too hard!
9%

Total votes: 23

Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

I've driven like 6 hrs to see the slip.. yeah.. good times.. course, bare in mind most of the time I've done that it was either a NYE show (RI, when I asked my wife to marry me) or a festival (ice cream truck, various fests in WV, the one summer I planned our entire summer festivals around following the slip and we saw them like 6 times at fests.. greatness)..

now.. I max out going to like Cleveland.. got a wife and Kid at home, so I can't do as much as I used to.. getting old sucks sometimes... ;)
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
tote
Get Me with Fuji

I had a conversation with Andrew at some point between the Slip's "not a reunion" summer tour and SMMD New Years, and he confirmed my suspicion that the factor that always gets left out of this equation is The Duo... essentially it is all evolving into one big, musically diverse, super talented, happy band.. and after last night's show with Marco, I'm all for it.

SMMD is the more mature of the two bands, and it leeps improving with age. It also has the staying power, the historical importance in the tradition of all the great rock bands, and yet so much of that creativity and virtuoso musicianship as well that keeps us coming back to Slip shows asking for more. The SMMD songs are in no way simple to play, and yet far from a mess, what I saw last night was technically flawless and yet completely fresh and unique. In fact, Brad's soloing keeps getting better, and I'd really prefer to hear him tear it up within the context of a great rock and roll song like most of the Surprise Me

Lyrically there is no comparison. And as you get older, you want some lyrics to sing, because human beings just love singing.. Brad and Nathan keep getting more and more comfortable with each other and writing better and better songs; sorry folks. As someone who grew up with the slip as my soundtrack, I hate saying this, but the writing is on the wall here. Something better just came along. And the transition has been nice and slow, and will continue to be, so I pan to just sit back and enjoy it.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
putty
From the Gecko

that's exactly how I see it, tote.
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

*nods*
me three...
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

The Slip is a totally different beast though. I wouldn't want Davis instead of The Slip... And The Slip has some amazing songs and lyrics. I mean what about Reddish Moon, The Woods, Ooh Belle, England?

Not that I don't adore Davis but I actually feel like The Slip is the more mature of the bands, they have been through more changes for sure. Davis is getting better all the time and I think the addition of Marco they have the potential to really take it to the next level but in a lot of ways I feel they are just getting started.

At this point I just wish either band would play more often. Not sure I am going to make it down to Florida but that is it on the calendar for either band... book some f'in shows guys!!!
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

And what happens of Mr. Russo if Marco joins the band? They've already go Andrew drumming...The Not So Duo?

I think what works so much more for SMMD compared to the Slip is that Nathan brings something to the band's writing that the Slip hadn't seen before. As much as you can say every member is a pivotal piece in the Slip, you can kinda say that it's Brad's band, too. In the last two times I've seen them, I don't think I've really seen Marc or Andrew take a solo on their respective instruments. Brad gets a solo just about every song. I think that SMMD takes the focus off of Brad a little bit and everyone gets into it a little bit more equally. And for a guy whose voice is on and off at the flip of a coin like Brad's, that could be a good thing.

That being said, I was hooked on the Slip far before I was on SMMD. But even if they take the SMMD route, I hope they continue to add Slip songs to their set lists/line up.