ISO new music

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tyler
From the Gecko

hoby wrote:Even if the weather report calls for a 100% chance of molten lava pouring from the skies, you should go.

Really.
well I more had to guide my Jeep across the frozen tundras of downtown Burlington and I made it. holy shit that was great. that slide guitarist was making some absolutely wild sounds. great fun, and I was reminded of Alivelectric at a few moments, which was wonderful
SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

putty wrote:
SpaceIsThePlace wrote:AKRON/FAMILY!!!- saw them at Sarah Lawrence the other night. confirmed my suspicion that they will be the next Phish.
whachoo talkin bout willis?

haven't listened to much of them, but from the songs on their myspace page, they aren't jammy at all. jammy is phish.
yeah i know its a bold statement but seeing them is what i imagine seeing phish in like 92 would have been like. sort of a what fucking planet did these guys come from feel. and not jammy? maybe on tape but keep in mind phish didnt really jam much on tape either. last night they played a 30 minute "lovelight" and half the show when i saw them over the weekend was improv.

and totally, tim. coming out of yr speaker is such a great blog! do you read infinite foolishness?

http://infinitefool.blogspot.com/
tyler
From the Gecko

as someone who loves Akron/Family but hasn't seen them live that's kind of disappointing to hear. I love improvisation, but really, the last thing the world needs is another band that plays 30 minute covers of Lovelight.
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

[quote="tyler]that slide guitarist was making some absolutely wild sounds. [/quote]

Greg Leisz. He appears on a number of Frisells discs. Duet shows with just the two of them circulate and are transcendent.

[quote="tyler]great fun, and I was reminded of Alivelectric at a few moments, which was wonderful[/quote]

This is what I'm saying. :D
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

The Burlington Frisell show was incredible. I left the Flynn on such a high but was totally sober. It was like organically trippy. Greg Leiz was amazing as was the rest of the band...and of course Mr Frisell as well.

I read an interview with Brad a few years back and the question was who he thought his sound was similar to. Frisell was the answer. So I made a few trades to check Frisell out for myself. Fast forward 5-6 years and Frisell (along with The Slip) is one of my all time favorites.

tyler wrote:as someone who loves Akron/Family but hasn't seen them live that's kind of disappointing to hear. I love improvisation, but really, the last thing the world needs is another band that plays 30 minute covers of Lovelight.
see them live before you pass judgement, man. they really are a truly great band. improv was certainly showcased in the show but the songs on their own are beautiful live.
tyler
From the Gecko

i'm sure they are. but man.

I'll Be on the Water >>>>>> Lovelight
bitchtits
Alsoa

thanks Hoby i checked out Frisell and he is amazing i almost feel like I'm listening to early Slip. I really cant believe I've never heard him play before
Thrice you have rescued me from falling grace;
once when I was a beggar and you were the rain on my face,
once when I was crippled and you carried me,
and once when the blindness of others taught me how to see.

GeMeNeYe
Get Me with Fuji

Anyone listen to . . .

Grizzly Bear
Band of Horses
John Zorn
Jose Gonzalez
Jeff Buckley

?
putty
From the Gecko

I like Band of Horses and Jose Gonzalez/Zero 7.

can't take Jeff Buckley's voice, but he wrote great songs.

don't know the others.
GeMeNeYe
Get Me with Fuji

Great Grizzly Bear tune: http://hypem.com/track/457017

General Link for other Grizzly Bear tunes:
http://hypem.com/search/Grizzly%20Bear/1/

As for John Zorn, look out!! Check this video of his Masada group:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THSu7e1z ... re=related

Joey Baron is a sick ass drummer (whose done a number of records with Frisell)
Dave Douglas plays killer trumpet and the harmonic/melodic interplay between him and Zorn is amazing.
and Greg Cohen is one nasty bassist.

I love this group because of all they're able to accomplish without one chordal instrument.

Note that Zorn and Frisell have worked together in Zorn's group, Naked City, among other collabs.

Enjoy!
tyler
From the Gecko

yeah I really like Grizzly Bear and Jose Gonzalez as well.

Band of Horses I find kind of boring. Ever listen to Carissa's Wierd, the precursor to Band of Horses? so much better. had a really cool slowcore vibe going on. Shame that they broke up and splintered into various bands that were considerably less interesting (Band of Horses, Grand Archives), although Sera Cahoone's new solo album is pretty good.
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

bitchtits wrote:thanks Hoby i checked out Frisell and he is amazing i almost feel like I'm listening to early Slip. I really cant believe I've never heard him play before
You're welcome, bt.

If you want to hear the stuff that directly inspired BAM, check out the Ginger Baker Trio (Baker, Frisell, and Charlie Haden). There's video of them on UTube playing "Ginger's Blues" that will make you happy. Another amazing disc is Frisell with Elvin Jones and Dave Holland.

Hey, if you're in Albany then we're neighbors. I live just east of Troy.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Man, I count myself as a big Frisell fan but I don't have that Ginger Baker Trio disc! Just ordered it from Amazon. The Dave Holland/Elvin Jones one is super-sweet though. Gone, Just Like a Train, The Willies & Good Dog, Happy Man are some of my favorites though.
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

Harry, I have a live Ginger Baker Trio show with Frisell from '95. Drop me a line and I'll send you a copy. Great stuff.