what 2005 albums are you excited for?

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

headnugg
Invocation

thanks, great to be here, this new page is by far superior to the old one.......

funny you should mention Lotus, I saw and heard them for the first time here in Beantown at my favorite room, the Lizard Lounge(and they have yet to come back to Boston) and though their set was very short I saw some major potential in them. In fact, in October '02 JFJO was playing and so was this other shortlived jazzy boston band called Roots Cause. I ended up reviewing the show on JamBase, you can check out the review here:

http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=3084

in it I said something to the effect of Lotus is sick, they're here to stay, blah blah and I recently got their newest studio album that just came out and they have literally become what Sector 9 was a few years ago, they're a better Sector 9 than Sector 9 themselves.......but I just find STS's shows boring now, that band seems almost too self absorbed with themselves and their image, all their stupid crystals and all their effects pads, they should just concentrate on the music and not on all the laptops they have onstage. But to each his own.
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
L Bean

woah Diesel...

I don't know , I never pegged you for a sts9 dude, I guess I just figured that a person who spends a lot of time critiquing should have better taste in music. And I mean that as a compliment, really.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that they're better than probably anything out in Cali, but I don't know...

I just feel like I love their sound for about 20 minutes tops, but then it gets repetitive and old fast. Their percussion/drummer is outta sight, but I definately think those boys need some time spent with collueges out East or somethin,
I don't know maybe that Cali air has everyone out there happy in the sun lovin life and playin frisbee. But where there's struggle = brilliant outpour and those who sit in their rooms all day with their ax under a grey sky, end up makin sunshine from IT.
L Bean

woah

that was a little harsh, but I figured you could take it:)
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

Lotus is definately off the hook.. I really like Soundtribe.. but like I said... lotus just seems a lot more organic... plus, they're working really hard right now, cause they want it bad... ya know... that always makes the music better, IMO.

Tori Amos's new album is due out in feb too.. I've heard one track off it... her playing the piano.. so it sounds really good...
Plus the slips new album...

Plus I can't wait for Kelly Osborne and Ashley simpson to do their new release together...
"Why does everyone think we suck?!?"
ImageImage
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
tim
The Weight of Solomon

lotus is playing here tonight, i was thinking about checking them out again. i saw them a couple months ago and i thought they were tight, they definitely had their moments, but i kept thinking how i'd rather be at a sound tribe show. i picked up their new album 'nomad' and it's pretty decent, definitely more of a house flavor, i like 'germination' better. we'll see what they can do for me tonight, it's a cheap show and i like to support the young hungry bands as much as i can, they're big slip fans as well.

i definitely agree with headnugg's earlier statement about STS9 being concerned about an image. it really seems as if they're making a big push for widespread popularity. i got a an email from their list serv a couple months back with the subject of "artifact news", i opened it expecting to hear about the new album, maybe get a sound clip or something...nope, no samples, just an advertisement for sts9 swag. seriously who the hell is gonna drop 50+ bucks on the official artifact jacket??? not me. eh, i still like the music though.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

I would definately check out lotus... I unfortunately.. have been unable to see them yet.. but a buddy of mine at work is a big supporter for them (street team.. whatever) and he always hooks me up with their official samples and tells me about good shows online... I'm uuuber jealous... I just wish that allentown had a better scene... oh well.. i'll just have to check them out next time they are in bethlehem/reading...

but definately go... it'll be sooo worth it.. plus... it gets you out of the house away from the computer... :D
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

this discussion really took off while I forgot about it, I know each and every time ive seen sts9 ive come out of the show a sweaty mess.

really the only thing I didnt like about the tokyo cut was the guitar riff seems to be completely abandoned to put in some cheese effects. Im sure after it comes out we can all re group and have a good discussion on it.

They are one of my favorite bands to see right now but the second the funk happens take the back seat to the cheese effects my interest will be else where.

anybody going to any of the shows in feb? I'll be at the calvin theatre show and maybe some others
e-rock
Mudslide

Broken Social Scene
los Slip
venus stop the train
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

sts9 lite

e rock thanks for getting back on track, but youre only looking forward to two albums? you'l save some cash at least.

now to derail the thread again..

saw lotus last night with THE tim at the funkbox. not bad, not bad at all, so not bad that i woke up this morning with a new lotus cd in my room.. i get drunk and charge things.

so i would call lotus is a young sts9 without the sharpened skills and the new technology. (help computer). some good groves all in all, but after a while i get tired of the boom boom boom boom dance hall beat.

the percussion dude looked like a zombie :shock:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

Like i said though.. they're up and coming, they only are releasing thier 2nd cd so give them time... ya know...
I'm actually kinda looking forward to brothers past new cd. They are a bunch of really cool guys too. Check them out if you haven't. Kinda a wierd indy/electronic mix... good stuff....
ya know... I actually like some of this stuff sometimes.. .like when cheese or someone will do it.. it's pretty cool... but I can't take it for too long.. cause after a while it becomes the repeative boom boom boom chick boom boom boom chick.... (etc..)
but it's really cool that you liked lotus.. just give them time.. and at least another show... ya know.. each show is different...
so if he's THE tim... does that make you Strong Troll?
:twisted:
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
Tara
Alsoa

Is built to spill coming out with an album in 2005?

I'm looking forward to The Slip, Trey, i'm really excited about the Pixies new album and did someone mention TOOL? Are they coming out with a new album too?
Tara

"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." F. Nietzsche
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

the pixies are actually releasing a new album? cool.. I have a couple of their shows from thier last tour... classic stuff..I love frank black...

yeah.. I had also heard that tool would be releasing a new album but by far.. a perfect circles last album was really cool...

yeah.. the new trey might be cool.. oh yeah.. and I almost forgot.. isn't Herbie Hancock releasing a new album this year?
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
tim
The Weight of Solomon

Pstehley wrote:I'm actually kinda looking forward to brothers past new cd. They are a bunch of really cool guys too. Check them out if you haven't. Kinda a wierd indy/electronic mix... good stuff....
the plan is to see them this coming thursday when they come around. i've been hearing alot of good things about them recently and i've held off from checking them out on archive with the intent of seeing them live. i caught some of their late night set at terra alta 2 summers back and i remember being indifferent to them but alot can change in two years when dealing with a young band so i'm anxious to see what the fuss is about.
like when cheese or someone will do it
personally, i hate SCI's livetronic attempts. while they have some very good songs, overall, i think their whole sound and vibe is very contrived. i could start a whole new thread on the things i dislike about them but i won't.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

Tara wrote:Is built to spill coming out with an album in 2005?
i think so. seems like they keep pretty mum though. i heard doug likes to spend as much time as possible with his children so that's why there has been little from the BTS camp in terms of touring...i can respect that. check the second blurb on this page--->http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-08/02.shtml

and did someone mention TOOL? Are they coming out with a new album too?
yeah and i'm real excited about this too. their albums get better and better and with all the angst in the world since their go 'round i can imagine this one will be way dark and edgy. i'd pay good money to see danny carey and androo locked in a room with two kits.
Tara
Alsoa

the pixies are actually releasing a new album? cool..

Taken from Stereoboard.com

The Pixies Planning New Album in 2005
Posted by stereoboard on August 09, 2004 at 12:24:14 PM | 0 comments

The Pixies are planning to record their first new album in more than 10 years.

Frontman Frank Black says he would like Tom Waits to produce the album because "I like the way his records sound." Marc Geiger of the band's longtime agent the William Morris Agency told the New York Times he is hoping the Pixies will record the album early next year.

Earlier this year the band recorded their first new song for 13 years, 'Bam Thwok', and released it on the Internet for 99p exclusively on Apple's iTunes Music Store.

The Pixies, Black, bass player Kim Deal, guitarist Joey Santiago and drummer David Lovering released their last album, Trompe Le Monde in 1991.

The band, which split up in 1993, recently reformed for a series of North American and European shows including a four-night, sold-out residency in June at London's Brixton Academy.

They are due to play London's Forum on August 20 as a warm-up for their appearances at the V Festival, August 21 and 22.
Tara

"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." F. Nietzsche