the beatles- "love"

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

what does "come on" mean?
headnugg
Invocation

hoby wrote:
headnugg wrote:Fuck the beatles
I'm so sick of the Beatles. The Beatles this, the Beatles that. They've released more albums as dead people than when they were alive.
So have Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach. Should we fuck them too? :wink:
I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE BEATLES.
Yes you do. Look at all this energy you're putting into them.
In 100 years are people still going to be comparing everything to the Beatles?
I'm not sure people are doing that now.

hoby

NO I DON'T. I'm at work so I can take the time to rant and rave and post all I want. So this isn't about me caring enough about the Beatles to write about them. When I have downtime at work I could write about the Care Bears and that don't mean I care about them.....

Are you seriously saying that you don't think people compare shit to the Beatles everyday?! That's ridiculous.....

Bach, Beethoven and all that shit is different for many reasons......They are some of the first well known musicians EVER so they will always have a place in history. In a sense they almost invented classical music. The Beatles were writing shitty songs until Bob Dylan got them high and they started making some quality music. Now I'm not saying the Beatles suck, yes I'll admit they made some great music, all I'm saying is ENOUGH ALREADY. I'm sick of hearing about them. I'm sick of all their "new" releases. I'm sick of hearing about the anniversary of their deaths. It seems the entire world reveres them as the best and most important band ever and I'm just sick of it. FUCK THE BEATLES.
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
KLUE
Get Me with Fuji

headnugg wrote:

Bach, Beethoven and all that shit is different for many reasons......They are some of the first well known musicians EVER so they will always have a place in history. In a sense they almost invented classical music.
I'm no music historian but, that absurd. In 200 years the Beatles will have invented Rock & Roll or whatever it's called then.
Keep Lookin' Up for Ever
headnugg
Invocation

KLUE wrote:
headnugg wrote:

Bach, Beethoven and all that shit is different for many reasons......They are some of the first well known musicians EVER so they will always have a place in history. In a sense they almost invented classical music.
I'm no music historian but, that absurd. In 200 years the Beatles will have invented Rock & Roll or whatever it's called then.
What's absurd? That those cats practically invented classical? I mean, I don't have any dates and I'm probably a little off, hence the "practically", but I'm sure as shit not too far off.

And the Beatles will NEVER be looked upon as the inventors of Rock and Roll because they DID NOT invent rock and roll and no amount of time will change that......but I see your point.......

Everyone knows that Wolfmother invented rock and roll......
putty
From the Gecko

wolfmother sucks and the beatles definitely created something that wasn't there before.

they're so important because women screamed for them and men wanted to be them (mainly because the women were screaming for them). but they CHURNED out good record after good record, and every pop song you hear has some beatles stuff in it.

and if you get sick of people constantly talking about them, you'll just have to get over that, cause it aint gonna stop.
headnugg
Invocation

putty wrote:wolfmother sucks
Ignorance and Heresy

Just remember that without Bob Dylan you would never have heard of the Beatles......
putty
From the Gecko

headnugg wrote:
putty wrote:wolfmother sucks
Ignorance and Heresy

Just remember that without Bob Dylan you would never have heard of the Beatles......

wolfmother is obviously ripping off the white stripes and black sabbath, combined with a terribly annoying front man. they're good for a song or two, then it gets old quickly. that band won't last to see their third album.

and please provide a link that proves bob dylan had anything to do with the beatles' success. i've never heard that before.

but even if he did have anything to do with it, that wouldn't take away what they did as a group.
Last edited by putty on Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tyler
From the Gecko

I second the motion that Wolfmother sucks
H. Nugg

you guys are all crazy, Wolfmother is the hardest rocking band around these days....yah, so they sound like a hybrid of Led Zep and Black Sabbath.....THEY STILL ROCK

At times the Slip sounds like Wilco on IKE, does that mean they suck?!

and Putty, there's no need to provide a link. It's common knowledge that Dylan met the Beatles early on in their career while he was in England. He introduced them to Marijuana and said he liked what they were doing but they needed to step things up a notch lyrically.

Beatles = no big deal
Beatles on pot/lsd/etc. = "the greatest band ever"

thanks Bobby D.
putty
From the Gecko

that is not common knowledge. if it was, you could provide a link.
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

putty wrote:that is not common knowledge. if it was, you could provide a link.
I disagree with just about everything 'nugg is saying in this thread, but he's right about this. The meeting is described in Bob Spitz's bio that came out last year (which is a great read for anyone interested in the Beatles.)

I'm not sure what's meant by "common knowledge", but this fact is known by many.

BTW, it's easy to "misunderestimate" (to quote our coke-head-in-chief) the Beatles if you don't consider the impact they, along with George Martin and Geoff Emerick, had on the art of studio recording.

When it comes to studio recording, THEY. CHANGED. EVERYTHING.

Whether you like their music or not, to deny this shows a willful ignorance of established consensual reality. All of the music you love today, including this Wolfmother (whomever they are) would be very different or not even exist if not for 4 guys on pot and acid (who also happen to be excellent musicians) saying to Martin and Emerick (who happen to be a classically trained musician and fearless maverick studio engineer too young to know better, respectively) "here's what I hear in my head. Make it so."

Reading Spitz's book and Emerick's memoir will give a pretty good picture. Add Martin's "With A Little Help From My Friends" and you get even deeper inside.
Beatles = no big deal
Beatles on pot/lsd/etc. = "the greatest band ever"
To state that first equation is to ignore historical fact. The second equation can be debated endlessly, especially if you're on pot/lsd/etc.

An appreciation of musical history (and not just the Beatles) will increase your appreciation of what you hear now and also give your rants a bit more credibility.

Remember, all you need is ears.

hoby
putty
From the Gecko

in the spirit of this thread i'll start my day on Rubber Soul.

beep beep beep beep, yeah

so, was the meeting b/w dylan and the beatles, that apparently altered the path the beatles were on, not commonly known until last year? i'll have to read that book i guess.

from wikipedia:

The Beatles also continued to absorb influences throughout their career — long after their initial success — often finding new musical and lyrical avenues to explore from listening to the work of some of their contemporaries. Among those influences were Bob Dylan, on songs such as "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" (Help!) and "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" (Rubber Soul).[2] Dylan introduced The Beatles to cannabis (1964) in a New York hotel room when he offered the Fab Four pot as a consequence of his misconception that the lyrics in their hit song "I Want to Hold Your Hand" (Meet the Beatles!) were "I get high" instead of "I can't hide". This initial partaking in drugs grew into heavier experimentation with LSD and various other substances whose psychedelic effects were commonly thought to have manifested themselves in the band's music. The Beatles, in turn, would influence Dylan's move into an electrified rock sound in his music.

me again:

so Dylan offered them some pot, and it turned them into the greatest studio rock band ever? i don't buy it. if dylan hadn't offered them pot, some other guy would've come along (if they hadn't already, i don't really believe this story) within the week to get john lennon high.

also, i see now where parents get this whole "gateway drug" thing. They saw the beatles go from a joint to the hard stuff in no time. a couple years later, their manager OD'ed on pills. our parents probably saw this all happen, and immediately blamed it all on Bob Dylan. I'm surprised the guy's not in jail. I mean, he is responsible right? How can he be given credit for introducing them to their rolled up muse, and not be responsible for killing their manager. It's a two-way street people.

have you heeeeeaaaaaarrrrrd, the word is love?
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

putty wrote:i'll have to read that book i guess.
You don't have to, but it's a helluva story and a well-done bio.

and then...
putty wrote:so Dylan offered them some pot, and it turned them into the greatest studio rock band ever?
No, not really. Dylan offered them some pot , thus becoming one of the many factors (past and present) that set them on the road to turn themselves into what they became. There were so many things that contributed to that metamorphosis that you can't blame it on any one thing or person.
putty wrote:if dylan hadn't offered them pot, some other guy would've come along (if they hadn't already, i don't really believe this story) within the week to get john lennon high.
You're right, if not Dylan somebody else. But he got there first. Why don't you believe the story?
putty wrote:I mean, he is responsible right? How can he be given credit for introducing them to their rolled up muse, and not be responsible for killing their manager.
Um, no. You should read the book. Epstein's death had much more to do with his own inner demons, which predate the Beatles and pot, than anything the Beatles smoked or who they learned it from.
in the spirit of this thread i'll start my day on Rubber Soul.
Good idea, but today my music choices are dictated by last night's arrival of 2 Nathan Moore discs and the need to gear up for tomorrow's Donna The Buffalo show.

"...you can radiate everything you are."

hoby
putty
From the Gecko

the manager comment was a bad joke. i was just saying that it's ridiculous to give Dylan the credit for making the Beatles who they are, just because he rolled them a joint, which led to LSD and Lucy In the Sky.

I don't believe the story because I'm skeptical of most things like that. It's a good story to say that Dylan was the one that offered them pot. It's not a good story to say a roadie did. I mean, these guys weren't exactly choir boys before they met Dylan. I'm sure marijuana crossed their paths before Dylan did. But this is a better story, so that's what we get. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I never let a little fib get in the way of good story either.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

i read an interview from paul talking about the day they smoked for the first time with bob. dont be so skeptical.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH