Interview: Omaha Reader

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

I used to describe the Slip as a jazz trio that plays a whole lot more than jazz.

Now I describe them as a trio of unrelentingly creative and telepathic musicians with astonishing skills and sensitivty who never cease to amaze me. If the person I'm talking to isn't interested by that description I give up and move on.

I must have been asleep when "indie" became something other than "not signed to one of the major record labels." What kind of music does it describe now? Please don't offer band names. I'm hideously out of touch. Qualitative descriptions of the musical activity would be most helpful.

I am curious,

hoby
Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

ive been turning a bunch of my high school chums onto the slip and whenever i say hey come to pearl street and check them out they go "well, what do they play?" i think shit.... what do i say to that. the question always comes up. i start mumbling unconsciously. "well you see its like jazz, but not really. some rock, indie rock... kinda, ummm. JUST TRUST ME AND GO SEE! OKAY?"

i then think bout how to classify them but eventually say screw it! this is too hard. i say who cares. its good music, and thats wat i tell all the suspicious. if i am required however, ill just refer to the three labels on their myspace. ROCK, INDIE ROCK, BIG BEAT.
BIG BEAT IS PERFECT TO DESCRIBE IKE TUNES LIKE AIRPLANE/PRIMITIVE!!!
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

i get that same question.

the slip to me, from the first time my ears were "hugged", was something new. The music that they emitted spoke to me in a native tongue. I was lifted while staying on the ground, i was moved. The music i couldn't put a name on. Sure you hear jazz but was it always jazz? I heard raw rock, and intimate love lullabies. They were nothing that I could put words on, so my description was simply: They are The SLiP

[now why did they go from The SLiP to THE SLIP :evil: ]

-gobble gobble

whaddya got against Death Cab?

Hey, I agree that Omaha article/"interview" is a raging piece of inaccurate shit, getting a whole lot of things wrong, but I actually don't think that that particular comparison or contextual reference is soooo far out of left field. I mean the band's aren't on the same team or anything, but they are certainly somewhat in the same ballpark.
I happen to like Death Cab...a lot. I think they've written some really exquisite songs, lyrics, and put on incredible performances. They are pretty consistently great. Anybody who would knock them in that big of a blanket, unsupported statement obviously has no clue about their musicality, nor that they've spent their entire career on a smaller "indie" label until very recently. so, what, if they're now regularly on the late night talk show scene?---does that somehow automatically mean they're a pop, sell-out bad band?
A lot of "hipsters," ignorantly are of the opinion that, as soon as a band signs to a major, that's it, they're somehow not "cool" or "worthy" enough of their praise. Gimme a break. I can't stand those poseurs.
Like The Slip, I have a lot of respect for DeathCab who have been going (I think) as long as The Slip through thick and thin, and Plans, their last album, which I can listen to over & over again from beginning to end, without getting bored is an epic one. It is very hard to craft an album that is that good of an end to end listen, that just flows. everything about it is top notch. There are very few recent albums I can say that about, including Eisenhower, as much as I love it also, which has some weaker moments that jostle one's listening soundscape.
I hope The Slip, for the sake of the band's longevity & economic sanity, shares a similar tragectory as Death Cab to the "top" of the charts" or the scene or whatever, in their OWN way. We need MORE bands like them, making it "BIG" to drown out all the squalid, BS passing for music these days. I wanna see these guys continue to be able to make a living from music for many years, and they're not gonna be able to do it in a comfortable way, unfortunately, from selling 100 tickets every other night on hard-core, cross-country tours. However, there are multiple ways to do it, in this day & age.
How much MORE would we rather turn on the radio & hear THEM, then MORE Pink and Black Eyed Peas? End rant.
Abe
Even Rats

Yeah Death Cab sucks. I hate articles that try to convince you to like a band. Just state what you like/what you think is important about the band. What does this article even say? The Slip are not a jamband and they might be close enough to that band you heard on the O.C. for you to like them too.

The Slip make human music. Thats just what comes into my head when I try to describe their music. Its music for being alive and everything that comes with it. What scares me is that it seems like the band is making an effort to make "indie" music and to take a sound that is really broad and make it fit into a genre box. This might not be true at all. I hope its not. But thats what I get.
SamNo.2

Yeah, I think the point was about labels more generally speaking, which reminds me of the story I heard about what the band's name means.

"When you try to categorize them, they give you the slip."

And there is no doubt that The Slip loves its fans - when was the last time you heard of a band with a contest whose winner gets to have a song written for them personally by their favorite band?