Ali Farka Toure - RIP

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Phrazz

Ali Farka Toure - RIP

Ali Farka Toure dies

Ali Farka Toure was very much part of my musical thoughts and feelings for many years. One of the pilots of the Antwerp Mother Ship turned me onto Ali during one of the countless late-night sessions, and was a favorite staple played in between sets at Slip shows and seems that everyone had one of his CDs in their car stereo at one point. The tone and power of his voice and playing resonated your inner soul, bringing out the sunlight and taking us out of the whole time and space predicament we call reality. Ali was one of the few musicians I could listen to nonstop, even when the CD player was on repeat it would go around three or four times before you realized these were still the same songs that always sounded fresh, but at the same time rooted in thousands of years of history, weighted with the power of a magnificent voice and guitar playing that evoked so much imagery and texture in such simple ways.

Anyhow, many of you might have already heard of this veritable king of west African music (Magical Mali), but if not, do yourself a favor and pick up The Source or Radio Mali (the two I know best...it will grow on you...you'll hear what I mean). He was a cross-continental troubadour who was a powerful influence in merging west African world music and Blues styles. His music will live forever and I am grateful for his contribution to the culture and artistic beauty of the world.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

the slip actually dedicated "Before you were born" in Pittsburgh to him...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
torph
Alsoa

Phrazz, I'm also a huge, huge fan. was turned onto Ali pretty early on in my life. his records fall into the 'my life soundtrack' catagory. I'm told he recorded a final record for Nonesuch before he died, release date TBA. He was soooooooooooo good, is sooooooooo good. His music will be around forever. Long live Mali Blues.