BSS on Conan Tonight

FYI.
Phrazz

Broken Social Scene?

eh?
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

eh?
Either a big Slip set or Broken Social Scene on Conan tonight.
casey
Alsoa

great! thanks for the heads up

is there somewhere you can see a list of upcoming musical guests on conan? i tried searching, and they didn't have it on the nbc website...
tim
The Weight of Solomon

Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

man was that worth it. They were great, never seen them live or all together.

must be such a fun show.

I flipped to the show after letterman after BSS and it was matisyahu

then i went to bed
tim
The Weight of Solomon

unfortunately, i fell asleep on the couch about a half hour before conan...luckily, there's always the internet

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=b ... rch_videos
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

alright, im not the craziest fan of theirs. my biggest peeve about them is that, watching this video, theres fucking 20 people on stage and like 6 guitars. is that a bit ridiculous? are all the guitars even plugged in? i would expect more dense sound.. blah maybe i dont get it. must be a canadian thing.

"we need more guitars! more guitars!" conan
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
sm
Beantown Rocker

i get what you're sayin, diesel, but here's my take..

the idea of having all those people on stage, i think, is less for the idea of creating massive music, and more the idea of just creating and playing with friends.

personally, i'd love to see a BSS show with just the core 5 or 6 guys. and maybe a couple horns. the 2 times i've seen them, though, it's been all about the massive colletive celebration.

and it really is like that. all these guys/gals that are part of the BSS crew have been around the local toronto music scene pluggin' away, turnin' it out since, well, some of them since the 80's! local indie artists, underground, doin their thing and hardly eating. i believe it was jason collett who started this songwriters workshop in toronto once upon a time, and it really helped build this community of artists and musicians, and it grew and grew. friends meet friends meet friends, and it perpetuates itself. as far as i know, a lot of this stuff, at least in part, started because of the community building that took place by a couple underground indie artists who had the gusto to say, fuckit, we can do it on our own!

and it took a hell of a long time, but they have.

so now, they celebrate together whenever they can, and i think that was the main point of having EVERYONE at the Conan gig. it seems they only bring everyone out when its a really big gig.

same with do make say think - i've seen them with 13 people on stage, and i've seen them with 4.

but i think that's the idea of the size of broken social scene, when you see 'em all on stage, i dont think it's so much for the music, but more for the celebration of playing the music together.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

good points scotty. i guess thats just my personal take on music and performance arts, that is, if youre going to have more musicians they should be there to serve a purpose. i've seen do make say think, and i believe they had 5 total. it was a good show. but i do get what you mean about the group comming out and just playing for fun and for eachother.

i think i understand the fascination with feist now. tight pants.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
sm
Beantown Rocker

yeah, and to be honest, there are times when i think the music actually suffers from having all those people on stage.. i'm actually with you on the reasons for having people up there.. when i saw them in toronto the other weekend there seemed to be times where there was almost confusion as to who was going to do what and when - that's a lot of people to interact with. so, yeah, i agree that there could be more cohesion and purpose to the overall sound, when they get that large.

but man, i'd love to see 'em with a group or 6 or 7 of them - how tight would that be! but then, who do ya cut? :) i guess whoever's already on the road...

i remember when i saw dmst here in london, 4, coulda been 5, people on stage, and it was so awesome. really tight, really together, and still very full sounding. it was like being in an innertube floating down a lazy river with this incredible soundtrack blasting you in the face. saw them again at the ottawa bluesfest, and they had like 13 people on stage, full horn section, strings, the works - and still, mindboggling! so huge, but very well mixed, and played together so intricately.

but yeah, i gotta say, there is a little bit of canadian pride in me that loves seeing 'em all together on a bigger, more exposed, international stage. and i know they feel it, too. i love that they're making it and will enjoy at least a few minutes of fame, cuz i know where they've been and what they've been doin all these years. i grew up on canadian indie rock in the 90's, and all these guys were right in the thick of it when no one gave a shit... touring across canada opening for other canadian bands that only a few people cared about, playing places like moose jaw, or sudbury, hahahaha....

Go Canadian Music!!

:evil: we're coming :evil:

:lol:
bouche
Alsoa

one time, I saw the Boston Pops and I was so annoyed with the amount of violins and cellos! I was wondering if they were even plugged in!

man, they don't need that many friggin flutes either!

;)

Guys, I love the BSS and I see them more as an orchestra rather than the standard band setup. In my mind, it's different and very well done.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

lol, touche
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH