I'm in need of some serious IPOD HELP

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

headnugg
Invocation

I'm in need of some serious IPOD HELP

so I just plugged my ipod into itunes tonite, like always. I have a PC and an older 40 gig ipod. Itunes started updating my ipod and when it was done, every single one of my 5600 songs were gone! It still hasn't sunk it yet.....besides all the time it took to convert all my CD's, I downloaded a lot of songs at other peoples houses, and only had those songs on my ipod and nowhere else, so those are lost forever. Plus, the previous owner of the ipod had all these different remixes of different rap songs that I'll never be able to find again.

I've heard there are ways of getting your songs back, like maybe they're actually still on the ipod somewhere, but the ipod is no longer recognizing them? I've been checking out some bulletin boards, etc., but most of the info is for Mac users, and I'm not too great at all the computer shit to begin with.....Has this happened to anyone or anyone you know and can anyone here please help me?
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I have heard of people using drive restoration software. Just like you would to recover data on a hard drive. Good luck. Any idea what caused it?
headnugg
Invocation

I have absolutely no idea, it just erased itself. Weird
ScS
From the Gecko

http://www.user-groups.net/articles/podsalvage.html

try using that software. read up on it first, of course. ive never used it so im not sure how well it works. that's one of the first pages to pop up on a google search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=re ... songs+ipod
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
rhythmicstorm
Get Me with Fuji

are you anywhere near an apple store? if so, go to the genius bar and they will help you as best as they can. if they can't fix it there for free they'll tell you where to go.

good luck! sorry to hear such bad news.
You that love lovers, this is your home. Welcome!
headnugg
Invocation

I actually called the apple store today and first I spoke to this woman who told me she could "walk me thru it" if I "purchased this phone call", for only $49. I got pissed at the very idea of that and politely said no thanks and hung up. Thinking later, I decided that if they could definitely fix it for me it might be worth it, so I called back. But the guy I spoke w/ on the second call told me it was impossible, and he had no idea who I had spoken w/previously, but she was completely wrong.

Thanks SCS, by the way. I'm going to go to my brother's place, the only person I know w/a mac, and try that podsalvalge thing. I hope it works.

5600 songs. Damn.
bouche
Alsoa

had you hooked up your iPod to a different computer and iTunes?

I think that if you have auto-synching setup and yous synch your library on a different computer, you run the risk of overwriting everything on the iPod. At least, that's how it works with the photos.
headnugg
Invocation

no it was my computer, but it was the first time I had hooked it up since I got my new harddrive......I was going to go and try and hook it up to my brothers mac and try this podsalvage thing though, bad idea?
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I assume it isn't working stand alone either? Not hooked up to a computer? I'm not 100% but if you used it on a PC then it wont work on a Mac and visa versa. I'm not 100% sure about that though.

I've heard that you can use disk utility software for iPod repair. It is essentially a hard drive of course. Diskwarrior comes to mind.
bouche
Alsoa

hmm...if you had a new harddrive without your actual library...you may need to take an extra step to reattach the iPod library to your iTunes on the new harddrive which was likely empty.

Basically, if I synched up a Slip photos folder to my iPod and then came to work, and I wanted to synch up my iPod to a folder of images I had on my work pc, I'd lose all of my images that I had copied over from home. I just wonder if that's how your new harddrive and installation of iTunes handled that situation.

I'm still new to all of this, and I'm pretty sure there are tools out there to manage your iPod better than itunes does.
headnugg
Invocation

well, I believe the ipod is in fine working condition, I just don't have any songs to play on it right now. I'm not putting anything new on it until I try the PodSalvage thing, because the website says not to. I also was reading about that disk utility thing, but I had no idea what that meant. It seemed to be only for Macs. I guess I'll go look up Diskwarrior now. My brother also mentioned something about how if it was formatted to a PC it might now work on a Mac, but I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens.

I actually didn't keep anything in my library at all, just on my ipod. My old harddrive didn't have the space to keep everything on it, and I never thought anything like this would happen.....I'm new to this too, I still have no idea why it happened.....
headnugg
Invocation

so thanks to SCS I bought the coolest thing ever. It's called PodSalvage and it brought back almost every file to my ipod. I seem to have slightly less files, but I don't even know what I'm missing, so I guess I'm not really missing anything. It has a few issues however. I have less songs now than I did, but for some reason was using about 6 or 7 more gigs than I should've and couldn't figure it out at first. Then randomly, I was checking the size of a song and it was a lot bigger than it should've been. The song was the same, but it was registering at many more MB than it should've. So unfortunately, if I want to get back those 7 gigs, which I do, I have to go through the entire Ipod and find every track that is registering as bigger than it actually is. Not a huge deal, but still time consuming. Of course not as time consuming as replacing everything :)

The other weird thing podsalvage does, is for about 1000 or so of my songs, they only registered as 3 or 4 number digits, instead of song titles, so I had to go through all of them and first identify them and then figure out if I wanted them.

But all in all, it was definitely worth the $40 and it's pretty damn cool. I am psyched.