recommend some good beer for me this weekend...

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

ya know.. i've actually looked at bells a couple times... it's been suggested to me before....

I only drink yuengling at the bar (only occasionally, and only cause it's cheap).. or out of the tap.. or if someone else is offering it... yuengling wrecks my stomach and gives me the worst hangovers ever.... but.. it's better than schlitz... or iron shitty...er.. city...

nothing quite like drinking beer out of an aluminum bottle... :roll:
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
etahn
From the Gecko

Time was, you could walk down to Day's market (across the street from my buddy's house in Santa Cruz) and pick up 750ml of Napa Ale Works' Oatmeal Stout for about three dollars. This was easily the finest beer any of us had tasted, and we raved, drank, shared, and passed out until the damn brewery went titsup.
I have recently (last six months or so) discovered a challenger: Old Dominion Breing Company's Oak Barrel Stout. This stuff has all the creamy head and subtle depth of your best-ever pint of guiness, with none of the dry bitterness so prevalent in the Irish stuff. If nobody told me better, I'd call it a nitrogen-poured porter. But they did.
The company's based out of Virgina, and apparently you can find the stuff all over down there. We get it in a little bar in Cleveland (along with lots of other stuff you never heard of), and everyone I meet, I make them drink one, just so they know. I've been in this place fifty times (or more), and despite the ever-changing taps, and the refrigerators full of exotic stuff from who-knows-where, I still reach for the Dominion as a matter of course. I highly recommend it to everyone. Who knows? Maybe their other styles are good, too.

BTW, I just made plans yesterday to pick up a sampler case from Lancaster next time I roll through PA (in a couple of weeks). Some of the best stuff ever. Even the Pilsener.
The world really is magic
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

etahn wrote:BTW, I just made plans yesterday to pick up a sampler case from Lancaster next time I roll through PA (in a couple of weeks). Some of the best stuff ever. Even the Pilsener.
I agree... Like I said.. one of the best Milk Stouts out there... the only thing they make that I don't really care for is the Hop Hog... just too hoppy for me...

So last year... for ICT, my buddy Jay and I go pick up 2 cases, one of the Old Dominon (which I agree with you.. is freaking awesome) and one of Sierra Nevada Summerfest (Meh... it kinda sucked... oh well..) anyway.. Jay and I are driving from PA to CT.. all the while getting thirstier and thirstier... and more and more pissed off, cause we don't have a bottle opener.... eventually we stopped in CT for some lunch and a much needed bottle opener for some tasty liquid refreshment... fast forward to about 10 o'clock that night... I pull a bottle of the Old Dominon from the cooler and commence in wiping it off... suddenly... the cap twists off.. fury insights... and over a year later.. I still feel like an ass about it... cause I could have had a beer when I first wanted one... oh well...

Another good beer to try while passing through is anything by Victory.. or Weyerbacher Merry Monk (Belgium Tripple... it's goooood)
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
francis
From the Gecko

i happen to run into someone who worked at bell's brewery at an umphrey's show in philly last week. they had a variety of their beer with them and i would have to say, it was really good. had a cherry ale and that was good. so was the wheat beer. i would really like to be able to find bell's in pa.
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
Robyn

Robyn's Red Robyn

I made a drink I thought you'll should know about:

Take a Cherry Ale; I first used Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Ale and gracfully pour it into a pint glass (preferably a frosted one), fill it up ½ way

Then you take a good ol' Guiness and pour it lightly over a stout spoon or you can use an upside down tablespoon... very, very slowly....and do it black and tan style.

Then Voila!!! A Red Robyn

Enjoy! ;}
Robyn

Oh by the way...

It tastes like chocolate-coffe-cherries....mmmmmmmmm MMMMM!!!!!
tim
The Weight of Solomon

etahn wrote:Time was, you could walk down to Day's market (across the street from my buddy's house in Santa Cruz) and pick up 750ml of Napa Ale Works' Oatmeal Stout for about three dollars. This was easily the finest beer any of us had tasted, and we raved, drank, shared, and passed out until the damn brewery went titsup.
^^^absolute epicnesss!!!
francis
From the Gecko

bringing this topic back because my roommate and i stumbled across a lancaster variety pack and got it, remembering it being mentioned in this thread... gotta say, don't really like it at all. way too carbonated.
-francis

Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

it's all good.. not everyone likes everything... Pam and I just picked up the Bell's Variety Pack.. in it, it had a Java Stout.. at first hearing this, I thought it was going to suck... but honestly, it was soooo good.. nice creamy stout on the front end and a sweet chocolate/coffee flavor on the back... mmmmm

the two hearted ale is pretty good too...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
casey
Alsoa

yeah are the lancaster brews normally super carbonated? it was almost like drinking soda. you can't get a good taste of the beer cause of all the carbonation
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

the strawberry wheat can be a little carbonated, but no.. not that I remember that they are super carbonated... even the milk stout? Sounds like you might have gotten a bad batch... I don't know though... I suggest going to cannon's in allentown.. I know they have the milk stout there.. not sure of the strawberry wheat.. and try a bottle.. plus it's an awwwesome good beer bar, even if it is in the ghetto....
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
francis
From the Gecko

the milk stout wasn't.. the strawberry was very.. you would take a sip, and it would foam over sometimes.. very strange.
-francis

etahn
From the Gecko

I really liked that carbonation. Felt like life.
The world really is magic
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

I will say this.. generally.. a lot of "good" wheat beers will tend to have a little more carbonation.. especially a "sweet" one like the strawberry wheat.. i.e. the more sugar, the more carbonation... It's ok in my opinion.. Pam really likes it.. I actually prefer the milk stout...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
casey
Alsoa

this was noticeably more carbonation then any other wheat beer i've ever had, the foam should not spill out of the bottle after every sip.