7/23/05, the slip will be performing in East Greenwich, RI

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

haryminorhood

7/23/05, the slip will be performing in East Greenwich, RI

although it is not stated on their website yet, some of my friends have organized a summer festival for our hometown of east greenwich rhode island. It will be called the Big Blue and will include a film festival, street performers, and an evening 2 set show by The Slip on Eldridge Field in downtown East Greenwich.

Spread the word around to all you know and bring as many people as possible! Also, any donations would be much appreciated. (content edit) Any profits will be donated to local charities.

Contact Andrew deLisle at android427@aol.com if you want to donate

thanks!

*edited by diesel
Phrazz

RI festival

Howdy Doobie,

Although it may seem helpful to post what the Slip charges for playing, in terms of business etiquette, this is counterproductive. I'm sure they charge different amounts for different events, and publicizing what they charge will surely lead to squabbling among others. This is what the business team or those making decisions should manage, not the fans (IMO, being one who has put on festivals myself).

Now also having experience with producing festivals, on such late notice, you may have to charge a decent amount for tickets (depending on the rest of the lineup, the proximity of the venue to civilization and of course the amount of advance notice). Since it's nearly July already and people have already begun planning their summer weekends, you are going to have to build a considerable "street team" to get the word out through footwork and sweat equity. Flyer all the local music stores, get the radio stations to play Slip, etc. This is a huge effort and I'm sure you're on the ball, but I just want you to be aware so your event is a success.

Frankly, getting Slip fans to kick down more than $20 is a tough battle, but if there's others on the lineup, that would help. Also, for the $8/mo. or so a website would definitely help spread the word and get answers for the many questions people will surely have. Without a level of professionalism, the more professional concert-goers (like myself) will question whether this thing is well-planned. By providing a lot of information up front, people will be much more comfortable kicking down the dough (still, there's a limit to what anyone will pay, so guessing is tough...you really have to set a ticket price or it won't work, from what I've experienced myself).

I'd also look into corporate sponsors (particularly music shops, kind food and clothing..things that are aligned). If you can get them to sponsor and give them a booth, you are doubling up your coverage methods as well as cross-pollinating among other areas of interest. Same with schools and such...if there's a local music school, guitar workshop time.

That's enough with the ideas. I apologize if you're already doing all these things, but in case any of the suggestions are valuable, take it to town. I hope you have a good time and the festival is a success.

-Take care,

Phrazz
gabe
Lion on a Rock

deustche box

this sounds awesome! i am totally there.
haryminorhood

the intent of this festival is more for a summertime fun thing for the residents of East Greenwich to enjoy. It will be an all day event with lost of fun things on Main Street and stuff. So there are no other artists besides The Slip and the max we will charge will be $15 (and even thats doubtful because we want your average east greenwich family to attend). We have a sponsor setup with different levels of contributions and we have a few sponsors already.

In terms of getting the word out, everyone is East Greenwich already knows about it, and because it is intended for the people of East Greenwich, we're not going to do a whole lot of publicity outside the town. I just figured that posting on here would bring in some extra people.

And just to let you know that we are pretty serious about this, we have gotten permission to put this on and recognition of our organization by the secretary of state of RI.
haryminorhood

this is the flyer we are giving out to businesses to make contributions:

Big Blue Festival
July 23, 2005
Main Street, Downtown East Greenwich RI
3:00 p.m.-12 p.m.

Presented by the Big Blue Organization Corp.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, CONTACT: Devin Rochford, (401) 885-0534, tdevinrochford@hotmail.com

On Saturday July 23, 2005, The Big Blue organization will present the first ever Big Blue arts and culture festival. The festival will take place in down town East Greenwich, and will include events such as a film festival full of emerging north east talent, a large outdoor concert headlined by local band The Slip, and late night shows throughout the concourse of the festival featuring local bands and musicians. Throughout the festival grounds will be various installations from different Rhode Island artists, complimenting the unique aura of the event.
We are a non-profit organization, with all profits made going to the Rhode Island Food Bank. Because of certain festival expenses (stage, lighting, artists, and promotions), we rely on business sponsors to help aid with these costs. The goal is to present our audience with a unique cultural experience, but at the same time it is to make the greatest amount of money possible for the Rhode Island food bank. With this in mind we turn to our sponsors to aid in the festival costs. We offer several different levels of sponsorship opportunities, each providing a certain level of promotions throughout the event. The three levels of sponsorship are:

Presenting Sponsor---contribution of 500$
Associate Sponsor---contribution of 400$
Friend of the Festival Sponsor---contribution of 200$

Presenting Sponsor

- Five tickets to the Big Blue arts and culture festival
- Company banner displayed on main stage
- Logo included (most prominent) in all Big Blue festival programs (800)
- Public address recognition on main and side stages
- Right to distribute company marketing pieces/ coupons
- Full page advertisement in the Big Blue Film Festival packet
- Name on all volunteer tee-shirts (60)
- Recognition on signage throughout the site
- Recognition in Big Blue media releases
- A heightened sense of community involvement
Contribution of 500$
Associate Sponsor

- Three tickets to the Big Blue arts and culture festival
- Recognition on event signage throughout the festival site
- Logo inclusion (prominent) on all programs (800)
- Public address recognition on side stages
- Right to distribute marketing pieces/ coupons
- Half page advertisement in the Big Blue Film Festival program
- Heightened sense of community involvement
- Recognition on media releases
Contribution of 300$
Friend of the Festival Sponsor
- 1 ticket to the Big Blue arts and culture festival
- Quarter page advertisement in the Big Blue Film Festival program
- Name recognition in all programs
- Name recognition in all media releases
Contribution of 200$
Thank you for supporting the Big Blue Festival, we could not make this event possible without your support. If any questions should arise feel free to contact me using the information below.
Best Regards,
Devin Rochford
The Big Blue Organization
165 Kent Drive
East Greenwich, RI 02818
(401) 885-0534
tdevinrochford@hotmail.com
______ Yes, I would like to become a sponsor to the The Big Blue arts and culture festival
(Choose one)
______ Presenting Sponsorship-500$
______ Associate Sponsorship-300$
______ Friend of the Festival Sponsorship-200$
If you are looking for one specific feature of advertising, without everything that comes in the accompanying package, alternate arrangements can be made.
Company/Organization_____________________________________________
City/State/Zip_____________________________________________________
Daytime Phone (_______) __________________________________________
Fax # (_____)____________________________________________________
E-Mail address___________________________________________________
Signature_________________________________________________
MATT
Get Me with Fuji

Devin

Devin, is that you? I want to help out. It's Matt, your sisters friend from college.
JV
Get Me with Fuji

whatup harryminorhood...
PhilfromRI
Tenfold

Thats a ten minute walk from my house. Too bad Im in SC right now. Guess ill have to fly back. See you all there
"I dont want to be anyone but myself"
Easy rider

no its not devin, im a friend of devin who is sorta helping out a bit with the festival

hey jv, long time no see, any chance you'll be able to make it to this show?
harryminorhood
Mudslide

ok there we go, i was posting on my user name spelled wrong
harryminorhood
Mudslide

clinton, any chance you can make it to this show?
JV
Get Me with Fuji

long time no see indeed.
how you been?

there is a good chance i can and will make it to this show. hop on pheesh or PM me on here if you got any info and all that good stuff...

hope all is well.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I'm not sure what my late July looks like. It's likely. Do you know how long of a show they are playing yet? Thats a drive for sure.
harryminorhood
Mudslide

clinton its a full 2 set show, going off around 7 or 8ish...the details still are being worked out

(content edit)

*edit by diesel
gabe
Lion on a Rock

hahaha that's hilarious. they're going hippie primadonna on you!