The Pixies
29%
Wilco
71%

Total votes: 14

Tara
Alsoa

Help! Who should I go see?

Wilco or the Pixies? Both are around my birthday but I don't have the money to go to both. I have never seen either.
Tara

"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." F. Nietzsche

pixies.
k-real
Cumulus

tara - i think this is a good dilema to be in. i went with the pixies as i have seen wilco recently but have not seen the pixies since they got back together. the pixies is a pretty sweet birthday show.

if you live in/near boston go check out deerhoof at the mass inst. of technology next friday nite (5/20). they rawk. if you like the pixies i think you'd be into deerhoof as well.

I've seen both this year.Wilco is on fire go to Wilco.
rhythmicstorm
Get Me with Fuji

wilco!

they're honey-glazed.

sara az
You that love lovers, this is your home. Welcome!
tim
The Weight of Solomon

tara- i'd suggest seeing the pixies for the sole fact that they tour less than wilco. but, if it was my decision to make, i'd choose tweedy&co.

k-real- deerhoof played here last sunday. i thought about going but the family guy and chinese food won out.
Tara
Alsoa

Hmm thanks everyone. I just stumbled upon this in David Byrne's journal

http://www.davidbyrne.com/journal/index.php
December 13

Went to the Pixies show at Hammerstein Ballroom. They've sold out the place for at least 5 nights. Amazing. They sounded... well, beautiful. Not the expected word for the volume, intensity and clamor on stage, but the songs were lovely, mysterious and carefully worked out.

Afterwards Charles claimed there were problems, that it wasn't their best show, that he threw a shit fit (he disappeared from the stage early on). But I thought it sounded great. The NY audience were their common reserved selves — at least Charles' brother said everywhere else — "even Montreal!", he said, amazed — the audiences had generally been a lot more energetic.

Charles had on some black eyeliner which I couldn't see from my seat. (Michael Stipe does this too, is this something I should know about?) From the audience I thought it made him look like an Aztec or Mayan God, calmly but loudly issuing baffling cosmic pronouncements mixed with pain and rage.

I also wondered, being a Boston area band, if this is Protestant band in spirit. Emotion is kept in check — rage and pain appear suddenly, like periodic explosions. The band eschews stage costumes, patter, dance and any pandering to the crowd — this is part of their staying power, I suspect —it makes it all more timeless — but it's also part of that Protestant reserve. I wonder if THAT'S what the show is about. If it's a ceremony in celebration of that — and of the tensions and conflicts that come with it.

No alcohol backstage... and probably no drugs either. This is a very clean band, maybe a little excessively clean — but given their history it might be a wise move.

I'm going to take his good review as a sign I should go see them this time. And yeah Wilco does tour more so i'll catch Wilco next time.
Tara

JV
Get Me with Fuji

a shrink
Tara
Alsoa

Thanks for advice JV. I actually see one every monday. Maybe you should have one take a look at you and try and figure out why you hate women so much :wink:
Tara

Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

I'm with you Tara.. go see the pixies.. my buddy matt (who is working on his English doctorate {he's a fucking genius!!}) told me he was going to see them in pittsburgh... but was kinda embarrassed because they are basically a nostalgia act... but I told him.. hey.. I don't blame you... so long as they belt out some classics like Ed is Dead... should be a good time.. and I'm uuuber jealous... happy early birthday and enjoy the show!
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
JV
Get Me with Fuji

Tara wrote:Thanks for advice JV. I actually see one every monday. Maybe you should have one take a look at you and try and figure out why you hate women so much :wink:
it was a joke. relax. i love women (and moderators who edit my posts in feeble attempts at humor)
Last edited by JV on Sat May 14, 2005 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

JV, you may be a 'douchebag' or 'jackoff' or any other jersey cliche but i still think youre funny.

"No alcohol backstage... and probably no drugs either. This is a very clean band, maybe a little excessively clean — but given their history it might be a wise move."

fuck that, see wilco then
Last edited by diesel on Fri May 13, 2005 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
SlippedDisc
Tenfold

Sorry I'm gonna say Wilco. Caught the Pixies and was pretty bored with the whole thing, whereas Wilco was the single best show I saw all of last year.

Yes, better than any Slip show.
JV
Get Me with Fuji

diesel wrote:JV, you may be a 'douchebag' or 'jackoff' or any other jersey cliche but i still think youre funny.
HEY THANKS BUDDY :D
Tara
Alsoa

So I said I was going to the pixies, and I took the day off, and I got a whole pile of people to come with...and then when I saw the tickets were almost 45 bucks after that blasted ticketmaster charge I just couldn't do it.

I'm going to Wilco :D
Tara