Yanks Fans vs. Sox Fans

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

AcRj
Mudslide

the only thing worse than a yankee fan is a drunk yankee fan
I hope you live as long as you like and love as long as you live.
headnugg
Invocation

The Red Sox are the best team eva period. The Yankees never won anything without buying it first and the Orioles aren't even worth talking about. And A-Rod is a complete asshole.

Yankees Suck!

oh yah, you're goddamn right Bosox fans are the biggest assholes.....and proud of it.
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

thank you headnugg for living out the streotype.

on a personal note, it was a real pleasure to go to yanks vs. o's game on saturday to witness a comback win that was part of the sweep this weekend. it was really amusing to see all the yanks fans (about 1/4-1/3 of the stadium) taking out all their aggression on the dumbass boston fans who were there just to root against them. classic.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
nathan q
Cumulus

Fan is short for "fanatic", and baseball fans are all assholes. People that find the social need to collectively root for "professional" players who make 300 times more than a well-paid hard-working individual in most other regular job really have their priorities askew. These steroid-infested thugs pick fights at any possible opening to flex their chemically-enhanced physique, sparring daily on a diamond of dust and turf in a medieval battle to prove who has more testosterone. When you take the baseball lingo (which is commonly done) to be metaphors for getting laid (striking out or making a home run, etc) you see that baseball is a bunch of slightly larger boys who really have never matured psychologically into men trying to duke it out in an arena that's gilded by the coporate elite and attended by millions of other sexually-challenged men who can't get laid so instead they find solace in rooting for their home team (whether it's winning or not is irrelevant to them -- they are fanatics, so they root anyways). Now coupled with this is the fact that most fans are also raging alcoholics, and I've only seen very few nice drunks. Most drunks are huge assholes and drunks at baseball games will beat up your kids and steal your girlfriend (who has to be crazy to follow you to a friggin' ball game)! They'll kick your dog and dent your car. They'll bump into your cart at the grocery store and ring your doorbell and run. Baseball boys never grow up, and nowhere is this more apparent than on this board.
How can you not feel a social responsibility to buy into the nonsense that is professional sports? Personally, I hate baseball, and intellectually, I agree with literally everything you said. But the human race, especially the the male half of it, has always been all about duking it out and rooting for the home team. You can't swim against a current that strong. Unless you want to be labelled a subversive and beaten by a mob of angry sox fans, I advise you to drink up and go with the flow.
Sun beams down on to the Sandsean reigns
Caravan migrates through deep sandscape
Lungsmen unearth the creed of Hasheeshian
Procession of the Weed-Priests to cross the sands
JV
Get Me with Fuji

nathan q wrote:
How can you not feel a social responsibility to buy into the nonsense that is professional sports? Personally, I hate baseball, and intellectually, I agree with literally everything you said. But the human race, especially the the male half of it, has always been all about duking it out and rooting for the home team. You can't swim against a current that strong. Unless you want to be labelled a subversive and beaten by a mob of angry sox fans, I advise you to drink up and go with the flow.
...said the guy who's in a band called "Omega Coke Mirror".
nathan q
Cumulus

Hey man, just because I don't practice doesn't mean I can't preach.
Sun beams down on to the Sandsean reigns
Caravan migrates through deep sandscape
Lungsmen unearth the creed of Hasheeshian
Procession of the Weed-Priests to cross the sands
Phrazz

Going with (or drinking) the flow

Now I for one am really a fan of baseball (and yes I've played it and I'm a bad-ass center fielder and long-ball hitter, having parked many into car windshields and innocent bystanders), but I was taking a stance to illustrate the point that "fan" is short for "fanatic" (redundancy for emphasis). It is concerning that the salaries have reached such nose-bleed proportions that baseball players (OK, basketball isn't far behind) are the CEOs of modern sports. CEOs myself I'm a bit pissed about who make millions in companies that lose billions. This corpulence of wealth is reprehensible and the evil of greed is quite apparent in baseball, as great a sport as it is in principle.

Now the macho thing is really boys who don't grow up, and in all sports this is apparent. For those without a psychology background, discussion pertaining to what is macho or what is maturity is difficult without a great deal of extra information, but I think those with these backgrounds may have at least an inkling about what I'm talking about. The whole aspect of "scoring" with regards to sex talk (and other things boys do or say) is evidence that the "game" of sex is elaborated by making these analogies with sports (the most popular American sport -- Meatloaf even wrote a song about sex that used the baseball lingo to an extreme). Certainly it is amusing in a sense, but some may care more about sex to think it much more than just a sport, and to really love someone and share this physical wonder is more than just hitting a "home run". This kind of talk demeans a beautiful even (an art, some would say), and those who are skillful in this art will rarely if ever use such vernacular.

Now somewhere I'm going to compare flowers and body parts, but not in this topic thread. Again, this is somewhat obvious and has already been covered elsewhere quite well.

Drinking and baseball seem to go hand in hand, and you can be sure I'm going to get drunk with the other red-cappers and spout out "Yankees suck" while at the same time secretly respecting this highly-paid dynasty of baseball CEOs. Baseball is one of those things that's easy to hate and love at the same time. Being able to hold these diametrically opposed viewpoints at the same time is what makes humans so damned interesting (confusing maybe to certain alien species, but perhaps it's scared them off from colonizing the Earth).

Somehow I will try to relate UFOs with home runs, but I'll save this one for another day.

What is cool is that when you get people riled up, they tend to tell you more stories instead of just the usual crap we see on this and many other boards. Then again, the anger also brings out the worst in other people -- those who aren't very good at chanelling their anger into more creative pursuits. [This is a challenge: if you can learn how to turn anger into an asset, then you are very far ahead of the "game".]

To warmsoft: you and I get our stats from the same place (up our asses). One man's stats is another man's misinformation. Do your homework before you call me opinionated, please. Have you been to a thousand baseball games? Indeed, the pot calling the kettle black (I smell fish).

Tim: you still crack me up, and it's not the first time I've been confused with commie bastards. I'm more of a traditonal Federalist, but not like Hamilton. Actually, I have anarchistic tendencies, but I've been called a tyrant and an elitist (and worst), so I don't know what I am, really. But I do know I love and hate baseball at the same time, whatever that makes me (a flip-flopper, perhaps? :) ).

Nathan: I am a subversive. Haven't you figured this out by now?
:twisted: Having been to Fenway many times, I can get drunk and root for the home team as good as any other rabid fan. I wear many hats when needed, and know when to swim with the tide. However, I think you might understand my point of view given some of your other comments and maybe we'll talk about this more over beers at a Sox game. [Or Yankees...I will pretend to like them as I don't want to get beat up in the Bronx if I'm at their lovely redesigned stadium.]

Dan: your point about adults and children being together for this age-old rivalry is right on the mark. There are definitely more men in pro sports, but maybe this will change over time as stereotypes and mindsets change. On certain nights I see quite a few women at Fenway -- maybe 1 for every 5 guys instead of the usual 1 in 20. But I also see this at Slip shows so the whole ratio thing is also skewed in certain kinds of music (more on that later when I try to compare baseball and jam bands :lol: ). However, I know enough athletes who are 'A' students to know that the two are not mutually exclusive (maybe by choice instead of perserverance). What sport has the smartest cookies? There's a good one to ponder....

Well, thanks for all the responses (even the crappy ones have some merit). Maybe we learned a little bit about ourselves and our favorite national pastime (well, next to sex drugs and rock 'n' roll, baseball maybe is fourth 8) ).

-Sitting high up on the Citgo sign,

Phrazz
gabe
Lion on a Rock

Somehow I will try to relate UFOs with home runs, but I'll save this one for another day.
i can not wait.
JV
Get Me with Fuji

Re: Going with (or drinking) the flow

Phrazz wrote:For those without a psychology background, discussion pertaining to what is macho or what is maturity is difficult without a great deal of extra information, but I think those with these backgrounds may have at least an inkling about what I'm talking about.
::pukes in mouth::