Slip 2004 Compilation.. YOU CAN HELP!!

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Are you down with this...??

Hell yeah.. let's hook some people up and get some love for the boys
81%
Nah... I think it'll just be a waste of time..
19%

Total votes: 16

Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

that's a fairly good idea.. I'm thinking we'll just write it on there.. paper covers.. no point in putting too much expense towards it...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
etahn
From the Gecko

Here's all the thoughts I've been having but not expressing:

It might be a good idea (or even a necessity) to make it clear to others (like who the discs go to) that this is a fan effort, and NOT an official release. We should probably check with the band before throwing anything out.

Lotsa(Red)Sox was pretty slammin at High Sierra. And while it has been available at shows, they might not mind if we used it. I don't think they were real impressed with the quality of it, and it was a pretty limited run. Again, something to ask about.

I'm not really a fan of the Sirius show. Or of Moderate/Cowboy. Or Fuji.

Generally speaking, I think more shorter songs is better than a few long ones. Not that I have anything against long tunes, but they're less accessible, and they tend to be things like Fuji. I guess we'll probably end up voting on everything anyway, so...

The Colorado shows sound like ass to me, and I kind of feel bad because I know the taper spent tons on his rig, but somebody's got to do it. Apparently 24-bit copies are available, so maybe our man Cleantone can make them prettier.

We can talk all day about generaltites, but picking some tunes will be actual progress.

Here's mine:

Untitled (first tune) 4/02 PGH
LotsaSox HSMF
PaperBirds/FearOfFalling/Proud IceCreamTruck
PTR 5/04 SANTA CRUZ!!!!! (narrows would be better, but...)

Baba O'Reily or WSF'BPLaU or some other well-known cover would be cool just for something people can relate to. (Like What is and What Should Never Be from 5/6/03.)doh!

alright that's my bit
Oh tyeah and Even Rats kicks ass.

And Pat if you make the list of tunes and give me a day or two I can post mp3s so we all know what we're voting on
The world really is magic
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

fair enough... do it.. like I said.. I'll do it either tomorrow or friday...

I totally agree that what your saying about making sure the recipient knows that this is a fan-based project.. as for getting the approval of the band.. I don't know that we will necessarily need to do that.. but it might not hurt... (since we would be paying for it, and basically putting forth all the effort...) We can make this part of our seeding project.. ya know so it gets that name out there too.. so people will recognize the name and know it's gonna be a kick ass slip show... ya know... just thinking...

we'll let this brew for a couple more days.. than unleash the fury... eh?
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I was gonna talk to Brad last night about it but it never came up. They are on the plane RIGHT NOW!!! Hope it's a safe flight and all... Maybe we will see some fresh release from this run??? 8) :shock:
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

OK.. So far this is what we got....
Reddish Moon (not sure of which one to use)
Paper Birds (I'm leaning toward the ICT version)
Even Rats (Maybe from the Colorado run)
Chasing Rabbits
Rolling Home (SMMD)
Moderate Threat>Cowboy Up (10-31-04 I think)
Wolof (from the DC show?)

Holly Would from The Tin Angel-3.3.04

Fuji from 2004-11-05... (The Even Rats and Cowboy Up are ridiculous from that show as well...)
-Wolof-> The Shouters from 2004-05-27
-Fear Of Falling from 2004-10-16

soft machine-08.07.2004
nellie>ego tripping-09.15.2004
cut from the cloth-11.05.2004

aptos- 4/02/04
jam(phase one/sandman???)>children of december- 5/04/04
soft machine- 8/07/04
lots of socks- 9/16/04
paper birds- 9/16/04
cut from the cloth 11/05/04
proud 11/06/04
yellow medicine 10/30/04
wolof 11/11/04

What about the show at The Axis on 4-18-04?
chasing rabbits
get me with fuji
cut from the cloth (with heart shaped box tease)
soft machine
yaki soba
aptos(with dj klock)
happy snails
mudslide
seventy four
children of december>clapping jam

The Slip - Sirius Radio Broadcast
Filler: Surprise Me Mr. Davis w/ Marco Benevento on Keys

Fuji, my personal favorites are 4-18-04 at the Axis, and the Ft. Collins, CO show (i forget the date)

Untitled (first tune) 4/02 PGH
LotsaSox HSMF
PaperBirds/FearOfFalling/Proud IceCreamTruck
PTR 5/04 SANTA CRUZ!!!!! (narrows would be better, but...)

Baba O'Reily or WSF'BPLaU or some other well-known cover would be cool just for something people can relate to. (Like What is and What Should Never Be from 5/6/03.)doh!
I realize some of the stuff doesn't have dates... but like I said.. we'll give this another day or 2 for people to pick out more stuff... ethan.. if you can find mp3's of these and set that up... also.. Dan do you think you can possibly do something like that as well??? just so that way people can hear the tracks and decide that way....

Are there any listed so far that, without even thinking about, should be eliminated from the list. I kinda think we have to can the Holly Would from the Tin Angel, cause it was released online... not sure...
I don't think covers, such as WSF'BPLaU, will be a problem, because it's not an official release and they are in no way making money off of it.. ya know... just my $0.02... but peruse the list and see if we can set up a listening booth and we'll go from there..
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
etahn
From the Gecko

well, uh.. when I offered to throw stuff up for sampling, it was when I assumed Oz would provide. But right now its not lookin' so good. Slipserver looks down too. I did get a whole year of mp3 off Oz a few weeks ago.....but it was 1997. doh!

so I'll still put the shit up, just maybe not for a few days. I dropped J a note about Oz, no use everyone else doing it.
The world really is magic
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

that's straight.. yeah.. I tried earlier.. to no avail... I had just assumed that it was full.. if it takes a couple days.. say over the weekend or whatever... that's fine.. it's not exactly like a rush.. ya know.. that's why I was saying about Dan.. cause he might have most of the stuff...

Dan do you... could you set this up..?? or work with Ethan to set it up???

It's all good though.. good things come to those who wait... (like clinton said... maybe some japan sets.... *fingers crossed*)
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

I think i only got one night in denver

ill see what i got and make a post on what i dont have

and where was 11-05-04??

I can set up M3U files, playlists that grab from an mp3 and stream it. This way the mp3's wont be getting spread around

Time is a little trickey and its been a bit since ive done that but we can try.

Ethan are you on AIM? my email is dannyb123abc@gmail.com if you want to talk about this, tell me how much you have

Dan
Del
Beantown Rocker

2004-11-05 was at Tonic in NYC... My "Slip set of the year"... (ICT doesn't count...)
"I figured out what I'm good for, making anything look better" - Ugly Casanova
iandigstheslip
Mudslide

So we CANNOT leave out Even Rats, that alone is why I've got the big push for the sirius show, but that version is on the website...

Also, another possability for this would be to give them out with handbills via the Seedbearers (street team).

Something along these lines was done in like '98 or '99 with a two song tape with a Wolof from the Wetlands on one side, and I forget what was on the other. My tapes are very far away from me now.

When BAM return from Asia I will talk to them personally about this aspect of it.

What better way to turn on a fan, then by fan picks you know?

-Ian
BTW, You guys are amazing for taking the reins on this, I think you should all give yourselves a pat on the back.
Good fans, have a biscuit!
If theres' one thing I know to be true: let what you love, be what you do.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

thanks....

I agree with handing them out with handbills... that's one thing I was thinking of....

I also agree that even rats needs to go on... I just think their are better versions than the sirius... but i don't have final say.. ya know...

Alright people... I gotta go back to altoona this weekend.. Pam's grandfather is going in for open heart surgery.. so you won't hear from me or see my pretty aviatar all weekend...

and at ian's request...
I like mine with sausage gravy....

I'm out... Bioooootches!
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
Del
Beantown Rocker

I agree there are much better Even Rats than the Sirius show... Some that come to mind are:

2004-10-14 Toronto, ON
2004-10-16 Montreal, QC
2004-10-30 Northampton, MA
2004-11-05 NYC, NY

I'm sure there are more out there... Actually, my current favorite has to be the Toronto one... Something about the energy on that one, and Andrew's intro is awesome... The Sirius one lacks a certain something, still a nice version, but not as powerful as the versions played at regular shows...
"I figured out what I'm good for, making anything look better" - Ugly Casanova
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

alright peoples... need to know what's going on with this.. (just got home a little while a go...)

Dan/ethan.. were you guys able to set up the downloadable thing.. so we can pick...???

I really don't want this to die... Tomorrow, at lunch, I will collect all the songs and list them again... and we'll start the whole voting process.. alright?? Let's get this party started!!
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

I have been gone all weekend but tomorrow im working and will try to upload as many songs of that year that i have

It is in mp3 so dont fret!

Later

it will be one http://upload.isounds.org

Peace
dan

(hope Pam's Father will be alright or is doing alright)
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

Cool...

It was her grandfather... and he's doing incredibly well... better than they expected...

once the songs get up in a place we can hear them... we'll go from their... like I said... I'll try and put a list together again this afternoon....
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!