Alta Falls EP

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Alta Falls EP

I'm sure you all are on the BBros mailing list. They just announced the Alta Falls EP, which is essentially b-sides from Sleeping Operator. I'm pretty pumped to hear this!

Link to the iTunes Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/alta- ... d985843667

I have some extra iTunes money hangin' around. Guess I know what to do with it now :lol:
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

Re: Alta Falls EP

New EP is great. Really curious as to what other songs didn't make the cut.

New press photos don't have Andres in them, and he hasn't toured with them seemingly all year. Seems like he might not be with the band anymore? Anyone know?
Twitter: @lucsamuels
mwred
Lion on a Rock

Been listening to this today & really liking it. I noticed that re Andres too. He was there when I saw them at the Sinclair in Cambridge in November, but the calendar on his website doesn't list Barr Bros dates and only mentions them in the (long) list of artists with whom he has performed or recorded.
http://www.mandorlamusic.net - presenting live jazz & other creative music in intimate Boston area spaces
Caleb
Get Me with Fuji

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/124872/ ... r-Brothers

Not that Jambase is the definitive source on these matters, but they make direct reference to Andres.

The new EP is decent, not as strong as either album. There are a few cringe moments on 'Burn Card', but 'Alta Falls' is wonderful.
My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable
booher

mwred wrote:Been listening to this today & really liking it. I noticed that re Andres too. He was there when I saw them at the Sinclair in Cambridge in November, but the calendar on his website doesn't list Barr Bros dates and only mentions them in the (long) list of artists with whom he has performed or recorded.
Was going to say, I saw him at that show, too, so I was unaware of him not being out there touring with them.
booher

Just getting around to listening, now.

Funny you thought Burn Notice had a few cringey moments. I liked it. Although I'm glad it didn't make the album. It kinda had that pop/folk feel to it that's been really homogenized since its onslaught re: Mumford/Sons. I think that song would have drawn more attention to the album and but shifted focus away from the other good pieces on it.

Also, what does Brad sing he heard on the radio in the lyrics of Alta Falls? The only rendition I have of the song he sings "Heard Nirvana on the radio."
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Caleb wrote:http://www.jambase.com/Articles/124872/ ... r-Brothers

Not that Jambase is the definitive source on these matters, but they make direct reference to Andres.

The new EP is decent, not as strong as either album. There are a few cringe moments on 'Burn Card', but 'Alta Falls' is wonderful.
meh i like Burn Card, kinda sounds a bit like even the darkness but still
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

booher wrote:Just getting around to listening, now.

Funny you thought Burn Notice had a few cringey moments. I liked it. Although I'm glad it didn't make the album. It kinda had that pop/folk feel to it that's been really homogenized since its onslaught re: Mumford/Sons. I think that song would have drawn more attention to the album and but shifted focus away from the other good pieces on it.

Also, what does Brad sing he heard on the radio in the lyrics of Alta Falls? The only rendition I have of the song he sings "Heard Nirvana on the radio."
I think Burn Card really reminds me "Hold On" by Tom Waits. The lyrics are great, but it definitely sounds similar to Even the Darkness Has Arms.

Brad replaced "Nirvana" with "The Luyas" in the recorded version of Alta Falls. They're a Montreal band - http://paperbagrecords.com/artists/the-luyas/
Twitter: @lucsamuels
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

I think it's far more similar to old mythologies, with the slide work being more similar to even the darkness. i like this EP alot, particularly the last two tracks. never been a captain reminds me of bob seger's "we've got tonight" oddly enough, mixed with bahamas' "lost in the light". i really was hoping to see the actual song "sleeping operator" but I'm sure it'll get out there eventually since it's the name of the album and they have mentioned it in an interview or two when asked what the deal with the album name is.

the slide work, as my brother opined, is very similar to 02/03 slip stuff when they started getting a little more post-rock-ish. love it!
John from CT / wheaton college, MA
gbrignoli
Cumulus

NBAC - i had a similar Seger reference in my mind. i could easily fold 'There's a Lie' into that camp too.....

I am still waiting on another west african driven track to come out of these mixes - nathan played it in its entirety on his all BB radiocast one evening a while back.....
_g
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

funny how they were playing a lot of Kisses from Chelsea around the time their first album went out, made me think it would be on sleepy operator and guess its not on the EP either, wonder if it will make a future album.
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

wait a second, what? ... You're saying Nathan played something on his radio show that has yet to be released by the BBs? wild.

I was wondering if there'd be some sort of happening from the band today, as the EP has a song called May 4th! I thought maybe it was a clue. oh well!

speaking of the may 4th song, it reminds me of what I can only remember being called "mary mary shelly" by the slip back in the day.
John from CT / wheaton college, MA
DaveStone
Even Rats

lucasdavidsamuels wrote:New EP is great. Really curious as to what other songs didn't make the cut.

New press photos don't have Andres in them, and he hasn't toured with them seemingly all year. Seems like he might not be with the band anymore? Anyone know?

He was not with them at the SF show in December. Lineup had a second guitar/pedal steel and new bass player.