SMMD Mini Canadian Tour

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

jibooer
Lion on a Rock

Re: SMMD Mini Canadian Tour

Shameless grovel.....I am in need of a drive back to Montreal after the Ottawa show....if anyone is heading back thru the Montreal area to VT or NY or parts thereof, it would be appreciated, and I can get down with da 'Davis.

Thanks alot,
Mark
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Looking forward to reports and recordings from the shows!
bradm
Beantown Rocker

From SMMD's Twitter feed:
The show rolls on --- Nathan Moore safely inside Canada! See u tomorrow at La Sala Rosa in Montreal!
Aloha,
Brad
bradm
Beantown Rocker

Here's a first-pass set list from Montreal, from my notes and Marco's list; some of the titles may not be correct.

Put That On My Tombstone
unknown #1
Summer Of My Fall
I'm No Good At All
Home Away
When A Woman
Sleepyhead
Garden
Sissyfuss
Rubberball
Ambrosia Drunk
I Hate Love
Poor Boy
As The Crow Flies By

It was one big set, almost two hours, and there was a guest tenor sax player (whose name I missed) on "Poor Boy".

Aloha,
Brad
jibooer
Lion on a Rock

Just to add: the 1st and last song were done a cappela, with Brad singing falsetto (kind of (quit smoking damn it!)) on the last tune. In addition, Andrew had a very rare drum solo during 'Sissyfuss'.

Was a real fun show, and Nathan was super-psyched to play. Even got a few of his magic tricks and his usual fun and games. As Bradm will concur, the boys from The Slip looked especially loose, and their slick playing was a result. Marco rounded out the sound, although I could have handled a couple more freakouts and maybe more presence in the mix.

Sala has to invest in a soundguy who pays attention...but I digress...

Only a couple of wooks in attendance and no spilly-talkers.

Stay tuned for the torrent... :D

Have fun tonite in Ottawa my brothers and sisters!
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Lack of Marco in the mix in Marco-era davis is a common problem IMO.
daver
Yaki Soba

Hey, this place still exists! Can't believe my login info still works.

I saw the Mtl and Ottawa shows and thought they were fantastic. They really came out firing on all cylinders at La Sala and the first half of the set killed. There were a couple of misses in the second half and a couple of brutally blown chord changes... but hey, what can you expect when they get together once a year. It definitely felt like they made it a 'hometown' show for Brad and Andrew, tons of soloing. I thought the sound was great in Mtl, looking forward to hearing the tapes.

I made a very last minute decision to go to Ottawa (hey, when am I going to see this band again?), and it was a bit of a different beast altogether. Small room, smaller stage, lots of sound issues. But Marco was CRANKED! The organ was ripping our faces off most of the night. Fairly different set list, not much banter, no magic tricks. Seemed like the band was in a different mood as well. Highlight was probably Poor Boy > broken string jam > Its A Long Way To The Top If You Want To Rock And Roll > Poor Boy. Marco and Marc were really laying it down, then Brad re-joined for a shredding slide solo.

I think unknown #1 from BradM's list is a new Brad "soul" tune that slayed both nights.

Man it was nice to hear Marc Friedman play bass again. The Barr Bros band is good and all, but it lacks something that SMMD delivers.
jibooer
Lion on a Rock

The second tune is called 'If You Knew' AFAIK.

Yes, they ripped in Montreal. I am glad they pulled out all the stops in Ottawa...
bradm
Beantown Rocker

daver wrote:I made a very last minute decision to go to Ottawa (hey, when am I going to see this band again?), and it was a bit of a different beast altogether. Small room, smaller stage, lots of sound issues. But Marco was CRANKED! The organ was ripping our faces off most of the night. Fairly different set list, not much banter, no magic tricks. Seemed like the band was in a different mood as well. Highlight was probably Poor Boy > broken string jam > Its A Long Way To The Top If You Want To Rock And Roll > Poor Boy. Marco and Marc were really laying it down, then Brad re-joined for a shredding slide solo.

What he said. And seeing Brad Barr beat-box (during "Home Away From Home") was pretty cool, too.

Aloha,
Brad