Brad's string "trick"

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Brad's string "trick"

Anyone know what kind of string he attaches to his guitars to get the violin/bow drone?
bradm
Beantown Rocker

Re: Brad's string "trick"

I think it's just plain sewing thread.

Aloha,
Brad
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I always thought it might be dental floss but that is a complete guess....
booher

Before the BBros last Lizard Lounge show in June, I was talking to a woman outside who said she spotted Brad and talked to him for a quick minute. He was trying to find a store that would sell string like that, so I don't think it's anything special. I did notice it frays after a while when I was looking at it, but I'm wondering if it's a certain type or a special means of tying it around the strings that creates the friction to get that sound.
booher

harrymcq wrote:I always thought it might be dental floss but that is a complete guess....
It's probably not waxed dental floss :lol: Tried that because it was a quick fix. Left some goo on my string (nothing serious, and they need to be changed anyways). I wrapped it around the 5th string twice. Worked but only to an extent. The friction wasn't enough. I'm still really curious as to what I may find works best.
booher

Thanks to Lucas for the following from the Taping/Trading forum videos thread:
lucasdavidsamuels wrote:tackle box and bow string technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enenpjfA ... e=youtu.be
I still have no clue how he gets the tension on the string with the piece of string to make it like that. I've tried wrapping it once or several times. There's something simple here I'm missing....
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

You need a twine like thread that has wound rope like weaves (or whatever). You can use your fingernail if the tension of your fingers is not giving the right vibrations.
booher

Cleantone wrote:You need a twine like thread that has wound rope like weaves (or whatever). You can use your fingernail if the tension of your fingers is not giving the right vibrations.
Thanks for the tip :)
mwred
Lion on a Rock

It's tough! I was handed a one of several pieces of thread attached to Brad's guitar during a Lizard Lounge show a few months back, and only one of us (not me...) was really able to produce any sound, even after some coaching from Sarah Page. One person really had the touch.
http://www.mandorlamusic.net - presenting live jazz & other creative music in intimate Boston area spaces
booher

mwred wrote:It's tough! I was handed a one of several pieces of thread attached to Brad's guitar during a Lizard Lounge show a few months back, and only one of us (not me...) was really able to produce any sound, even after some coaching from Sarah Page. One person really had the touch.
Hey I was at that show! I was a little disappointed I didn't take it upon myself to give it a shot.
mwred
Lion on a Rock

Cool. Figured I'd probably run into folks from here without knowing it. I don't tend to be too chatty at shows, not disinterested, just a little shy and pretty focused when it comes to music. See you again sometime.
http://www.mandorlamusic.net - presenting live jazz & other creative music in intimate Boston area spaces
booher

mwred wrote:Cool. Figured I'd probably run into folks from here without knowing it. I don't tend to be too chatty at shows, not disinterested, just a little shy and pretty focused when it comes to music. See you again sometime.
Me too, then again I didn't have a name to put to a face. I met Harry at the last Slip show, but I also asked around because I knew he'd be taping. I tend to be a little shy, too. I went to Yo La Tengo at the Met over the weekend and barely spoke a word :lol: didn't help that I went alone, though. Was kind of silly because Ira was standing right next to me watching the opener and was sitting at the merch table (so cool!)