Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

bitchtits
Alsoa

White fender

Does anyone else miss Marc's white fretless bass? Fretless white bass= SICKNESS
Thrice you have rescued me from falling grace;
once when I was a beggar and you were the rain on my face,
once when I was crippled and you carried me,
and once when the blindness of others taught me how to see.

lumpy
From the Gecko

Re: White fender

bitchtits wrote:Does anyone else miss Marc's white fretless bass? Fretless white bass= SICKNESS
just saying this to a friend yesterday!
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Yeah I always wonder what happened to it. He always plays a pbass now.
bitchtits
Alsoa

I thought about this the other day but does anyone remember when the slip was robbed in the city i think and b=had to play on borrowed instruments? This could have been the end to the bass
Thrice you have rescued me from falling grace;
once when I was a beggar and you were the rain on my face,
once when I was crippled and you carried me,
and once when the blindness of others taught me how to see.

booher

That pickguard-less, fretless J-Bass was so awesome. I loved Marc's sound on that. Speaking of Marc, I was thinking about the Barr Brothers. I love their stuff, but I think that's why I love the Slip more. Marc just has such an incredible ear and amazing songwriting talent. Him, Brad, and Andrew all just work so well together. But we all knew that already.

So when did that robbery happen? And why does this seem to happen to all great musicians? I haven't seen Brad play his old ES-175 in a long time (oh and if you see this Brad, if you ever decide to part ways with it, I call dibs :lol: )
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

that old gibson that brad has, not too sure it's and ES-175, but anyways, it's really a jazz guitar. my buddy has the same one and it's an amazing instrument, but hard to pull 'rock and roll' tones out of it. that green guild that he has, that's a rock guitar.
Twitter: @lucsamuels
booher

lucasdavidsamuels wrote:that old gibson that brad has, not too sure it's and ES-175, but anyways, it's really a jazz guitar. my buddy has the same one and it's an amazing instrument, but hard to pull 'rock and roll' tones out of it. that green guild that he has, that's a rock guitar.
Eh, you're definitely right that it's not as suited for rock as the Starfire V he's got, but I've heard plenty of awesome things come out of it. Hell, he's used it to play Baba O'Reilly. Not to mention, the way it stacks with his old fuzz, the Boss FZ-3, I'm not convinced that a guitar is rock n' roll so much as the player is. Point in case, his solo on Clementine from the Axis in April of '04. Also, pretty damned sure it's a 175, but if you've got a better guess, I'm all ears :) I played one that I planned on picking up when I could afford it, and as soon as I could, it had sold. It was a '51, and those things have the best P90s I've ever heard.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

bitchtits wrote:I thought about this the other day but does anyone remember when the slip was robbed in the city i think and b=had to play on borrowed instruments? This could have been the end to the bass
someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think it was just some of brad and andrew's equipment stolen in an incident in nyc the night before they were supposed to play at a gathering of the vibes. 2004, i think. slip set ended up being canceled due to this and marc subsequently played a song or two solo on the fretless.

the bass was around during the eisenhower time.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

lucasdavidsamuels wrote:that old gibson that brad has, not too sure it's and ES-175, but anyways, it's really a jazz guitar. my buddy has the same one and it's an amazing instrument, but hard to pull 'rock and roll' tones out of it. that green guild that he has, that's a rock guitar.
Brad still has it, he busted it out at the Brooklyn Bowl this past July 2011. It is an ES-175 - from the old Slip website (maybe still there??)
Brad plays a 1954 Gibson ES 175 with the original P-90 pickup, strung with D'Addario flat-wound 13's, and a custom solid body guitar by Ashoke Childs strung with D'Addario round-wound 13's, as well as a Jerry Jones electric sitar strung with D'Addario round-wound 11's. His amp is a Polytone Mini-Brute IV. His pedals include (l to r); Boomerang, Ernie Ball Volume, Crybaby Wah-Wah, D.O.D 9-band Equalizer, RAT distortion, Ibanez Chorus, Boss Octave, and the Electro Harmonix Ring Modulator.
booher

Damn, I wonder if that Ashoke Childs guitar was stolen. That thing was super unique and I loved the look of it. Strat pickup in the middle, kind of close to the bridge and a minihumbucker in the neck. I was always intrigued by it. I think the first time I saw them play Even Rats he used that guitar (that was at the Pearl St. Ball Room in '04).

bear
From the Gecko

is that the "Alsoa" guitar?
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com