Stankdog211
Ambrosia Drunk

Conversation with Nathan: Friends with Bare-Bones Honesty

If anybody is interested - long conversation with Nathan at State of Mind:

http://www.stateofmindmusic.com/entry/7 ... s-Honesty/
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Yes that's a good one!

Just caught Nathan last night at the Connecticut Yankee in SF... Man I just love his performances there, they actually feel like one big performance that never just quite ends but just keeps coming back for more. Despite being sick and having a raspy voice he put on a great show, including a few new (to me at least numbers) and one which I think was brand new and he was reading off a sheet...
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

i liked the article, very little mention of the new Davis configuration or up-coming album though.
Twitter: @lucsamuels
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

the point of the article i think was to highlight his solo work, not davis..

wonderful interview, i thought. almost like being a fly on the wall ;)
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
Phrazz

Re: Conversation with Nathan: Friends with Bare-Bones Honest

Stankdog211 wrote:If anybody is interested - long conversation with Nathan at State of Mind:

http://www.stateofmindmusic.com/entry/7 ... s-Honesty/
Long indeed! Some great personal insight, which is good to read. It was like a fireside chat...stream-of-consciousness at points. It's interesting to hear about perspective about thoughts that occur during writing and performing...these things we can only guess otherwise, so it's nice to have some insight.

Nathan's solo show at Iota was fantastic, but over too quickly. I felt he won over the crowd in only a song or two...they were loving it by the end and very few knew about his magic tricks. Iota has a tradition of being a local indie folk scene...so the crowd was quite supportive. Still, they were afraid to get too close...Nathan is far from intimidating, but people are often shy until they've had a few beverages. ;) [The PA speakers up high and in front may also have been a factor...closer in the main fill wasn't as good and the monitors didn't throw out front much.]

The lights there were a bit of a challenge, so I did some additional brightness adjustments after these were taken. I also took extra care to make sure nothing in the magic trick photos revealed anything...I still can't see how he does it (and hope I never will ;) ).

Nathan's rapport also touched upon some of the conversations in Mike's article...about being the underdog and always striving for more. I feel that every great achiever is always in a process of self-improvement...once they stagnate, they lose track of their sense of innovation and change. Taking chances and trying things or doing things that make us feel uncomfortable will lead to strength and growth. The most important things in life are often the most difficult....