Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

bitchtits
Alsoa

sliplive

this forum is really dead...its a sad thing. BAM needs to come back
Thrice you have rescued me from falling grace;
once when I was a beggar and you were the rain on my face,
once when I was crippled and you carried me,
and once when the blindness of others taught me how to see.

Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

sorry... :)

they'll be back.. don't worry.... patience...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
stephen
Lion on a Rock

Wait...this isn't the Slipnot fan board?

:lol:
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

nah dude this was the board specifically for the latest NIN album release.
ScS
From the Gecko

i was just listening to troy '04 and missing news about these guys. here's hoping they'll tour soon.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
bitchtits
Alsoa

that was my first slip show :lol:

bitchtits
Alsoa

The Slip is done (good source told me) im sure they will play a show here and there but their last show was at the "dice" amazing show happy to be there for a fans only show. Now we have SMMD still as the closest thing to The Slip. It was an amazing run I saw alot of really great shows THANK YOU BAM!!!!

putty
From the Gecko

Never say never. They could stop playing together for 20 years, and still not be "done."

I will say, though, that as long as I continue to live in the south, my chances of ever seeing The Slip again are probably not good.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

i cant believe they would be done. the slip have enough friends in the music scene that i could definitly see them promoting a "last show" and doing a last waltz style blowout
Twitter: @lucsamuels
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I think Brad said at one point they'd never be 'done'. I think they are just dormant... working on the new Davis album, giving themselves some space from the Slip. They will be at the Florida festival in November and I bet they will be at High Sierra too.

I mean that last show at the Paradise a few months ago was off the hook and they sold the place out... That can't feel bad from a performer's POV. I was talking to Marco after the show and he was talking about what a great Slip show it was as well.

High Sierra announced and Nathan Moore and Marco Benevento Trio are already on the bill! Looks to be a hoot!!!
Phrazz

incarnations

bitchtits wrote:The Slip is done (good source told me) im sure they will play a show here and there but their last show was at the "dice" amazing show happy to be there for a fans only show. Now we have SMMD still as the closest thing to The Slip. It was an amazing run I saw alot of really great shows THANK YOU BAM!!!!
Hmmm...a "good source"? I may wonder...no offense meant. They're definitely not done if they're playing shows here and there. And these are EPIC and well-rehearsed, not just random get-togethers. They brought the heat, not just playing to make us happy (whatever that means...do musicians play for us, or them, or some higher power...Apollo perhaps? ;) ). I know there will be more of these, but I don't "know" as BAM said something...I just feel it would be much more obviously they've "given up the ghost" -- there would certainly be a disturbance in the force that we all would have felt. It would be clear.

Remember when Phish "officially" called it quits? (Did I just compare Phish with The Slip? Oh, the horror! ;) They're nothing alike, of course...I'm just comparing the situation, which is also nothing alike, so my comparison is weak at best...BAM plays a lot more than Phish did when they went on "permanent hiatus").

Part of the problem is that most people's memories only last about a week or a month at the most. They don't remember shit from last year and certainly not from a decade ago (especially if they weren't there, but there is also a collective or absorbed memory like I can "remember" Woodstock from watching the documentary, but I wasn't there of course!). Without a lot of assistance (like forums, eh?) we wouldn't even remember what we wrote or read, and that's supposed to be more ingrained than just hearsay (verbal).

Saying "The Slip is done" is sort of a subtle form of "disasterbation" ( actually has a more specific definition, attributed to Dave Kreiger, the "inventor" of the "Kreiger waves" [Star Trek: TNG]). To try to feel better by predicting someone's untimely (IMO) demise is disasterbatory...though it's part of human nature and not something we can easily control (depends on willpower, which again is not so easy to find, control or create if there's none there). It is still soothing, especially when we share how we feel, and friends say yea or nay but give their impressions ("social mirror" theory, et al).

It hurts both ways, but one is hurt on the way down, one is hurt on the way up. Positive hurt, like muscle cramps we get from working out. Can we also "work out" emotionally? This was Aristotle's take -- it's also called catharsis...but even just saying it brings expurgation, even if we learn what we feel is complicated and maybe not so bad. It really isn't. I just know this...which is why I don't feel a "shadow over the hope"...just hope. That becomes satisfaction every time I see a Slip show, but also when I see them separately in their various incarnations of musical expansion (ruminate upon that).

There is also an essential aspect of humanity that Aristotle discussed (among others, but his writings were among the most profound, and were even a model for Shakespeare, who studied the ancients extensively)...which is that drama is an essential aspect of humanity. We need drama to survive, in essence. So, I'm not saying disasterbation is a bad thing per se, it's like wrapping ourselves in a mantle of drama that perhaps we need in order to feel something or anything at all. When one of the loves of our lives (excuse me this transgression, but it's fitting here) has gone off the face of the earth for so long, there will be sadness and fear. I usually try to find some silver sliver of humor in the grey clouds. Since I've known old and dear friends who have "come around, in their own time", I always have hope. There's not far to "come around" here...we still see BAM at times and sometimes together, sometimes with other musicians. People have to all rise of their own accord...and with a band, that means all the members at the same time. This is a delicate but also magical moment...and if they don't "feel" the moment, the moment may take a very long time (what's "long" to you might not be "long" to me or "long" to a band that's toured for over 10 years!...another important point I feel a need to restate). Patience is all relative.

It would ordinarily cause great chagrin for a band to hear "they are done". I'm sure it would be worse coming from a close friend -- most musicians will say "naaaw...nothing of the sort". This to me is more of an "extended partial hiatus", not full and not short. If BAM took five years off and worked on side projects, to me, this makes their art more powerful and valuable. Think of all the adventures they are going on with so many other artists...expanding their repertoire but also expanding their "musical wisdom" as well as other experiences they may never get as an "avante-garde progressive jazz-rock power trio" (hahaha, put that in your pipe and smoke it...I know how much people hate labels, but again, this is part of human reality and we'll never get away from it...and I used the "cool" 'j'-word, not the other "uncool" 'j'-word, OK? ;) ).

Another thing is that comment by Marco means a lot...because he indeed knows them...quite well (as most of us should know). The Duo+SMMD collective at BB King's was also completely outta control and a hellofalot of fun. I wasn't thinking for a second "I wish that was The Duo with The Slip" at all...I was almost surprised (after forgetting what I knew ;) ) to experience the interleaving songs like that...and with two drummers at the highest levels of musical caliber. With such a diverse set of musicians and song repertoire, this is a masterpiece occurrence and if they keep doing these "hybrid experiments" while dropping in a purely-Slip show from time to time, I'm perfectly OK with this kind of "hiatus", which is much nicer than if they all literally dropped off the face of the earth for many years (which is what many or even most other bands have done).

And as Lucas says, if they really did play a "last show", they would definitely bust out the bomb lab and leave a smoking crater in our minds that only an epic music documentary could do justice.

Florida is down south, right?

-Phrazz

P.S.: As I finish editing, "My Landlord" comes on at random from Paradise 2004, which was also an EPIC show. I wonder if the "landlord" has been plugging any paper birds lately. :lol:
Every picture tells a story.
putty
From the Gecko

Re: incarnations

Phrazz wrote:Florida is down south, right?
indeed it is. i guess i discounted it because i have no interest in seeing any of the other bands playing at Bear Creek. And 45-minute festival sets are pretty pointless if you're not interested in the lineup as a whole.

Also, due to the date of the festival, I have no ability to attend, even if it were my dream lineup. And what is my dream lineup, you ask?

Well I'll gladly give it to ya.

Neil Young
Radiohead
MMJ
Arcade Fire
The Slip
SMMD
Drive By Truckers
Dr. Dog
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings
Heartless Bastards
The Bees
Neko Case
Fleet Foxes
Andrew Bird
The Whigs
Quiet Hooves
Fight the Big Bull
The Felice Brothers
MGMT
Mandy Jane and the Jaws of Life

although, I feel like there needs to be a few more females in that group.

edit: i suppose this festival could mean there is a tour that goes along with it, but I'm not going to get too excited about that possibility until I see it in writing. i'll also be living in Mississippi at that point, and i'm 100% sure that The Slip won't be playing any shows over in those parts.
Phrazz

Bear Creek lineup works for me

I am the biggest fan of Galactic, but they tore it up on Jamcruise with Trombone Shorty and Big Sam and I liked thier sets a lot more than usual. KDTU also kicked ass on the boat, and Dumpstaphunk, who was on fire. Lettuce also raged both the Jamroom and the Pool Deck sets (even though Karl D made it rain)...everyone I know loves them. Kimock has had all sorts of combos, and Crazy Engine is supposed to be one of his best. Some people don't like Kimock, but I can't quite figure out why. PBS is also amazing as is Garage a Trois (Benevento) and I've always loved The Duo. Lotus also is a lot of fun. We also get more Kraz and Deitch in other combos and what's not to like? You put Neil Young on a dream billing with Sharon Jones? Don't get me wrong...I love the Dap Kings, but that's a whole different class of band. Fleet Foxes I only know from their last album...I like their sound, but not a band I'd want to go see at a festival. I would want to see Antibalas because their live show is amazing. I'd also put Motet on my list because they are a personal fave of mine. Who the hell is Fight the Big Bull? Mandy Jane? How many of these bands have you seen?

I love MMJ, Neil Young (and yeah, even the Rolling Stones, U2 and who doesn't like Radiohead?), but this "dream lineup" of yours is at best wishful thinking. At some point you have to be happy with reality. Rothbury is a pretty amazing lineup...and a much higher ticket cost. You also get much bigger crowds with the major names.

I'm looking at the Bear Creek lineup...and I think it's a great lineup...as well as one of the lowest ticket prices of any festival. Your "dream lineup" festival could happen, but definitely at a much higher ticket price (even if you'd ever get all those bands together, the big ones would demand a very large event...over 60,000 people...Bear Creek will be much smaller). You already live in Florida, and when you move to Mississippi, you will hear a "giant sucking sound" with all the good music very far away. M. is not know for its music scene (though Atlanta is pretty decent).
Bear Creek Music Festival Lineup

Galactic x 2
Karl Denson's Tiny Universe x 2
Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk x 2
Lettuce x 2
Perpetual Groove
Steve Kimock and Crazy Engine
The New Mastersounds x 2
Hill Country Revue
Porter Batiste and Stoltz x 2
The Benevento -Russo Duo
Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue
Garage A Trois
Fred Wesley and the New JB's
Lotus
Papa Mali Band
The Slip
DubConscious x 2
Zac Deputy x 2
The Pnuma Trio
Bonerama
The Ryan Montbleau Band
Surprise Me Mr. Davis
Break Science featuring Adam Deitch
Brock Butler
Eric Krasno & Chapter 2
Good Enough For Good Times
The Heavy Pets
Pnuma Live PA
On The One
The Malah x 2
Green Hit x 2
Stillwood
The Soular System
Shak Nasti
Nate Wilson Group
Pimps of Joytime
Sol Driven Train( 1 kids set, 1 big kids set)
Corporal Boil
Catfish Alliance
3rd Stone
Savi Fernandez Band
Green House Lounge
With more festival announcements, we can hope for more of a mini-Slip tour...but a few special shows will feed my jonesin' for now. Some people would go to Bear Creek just to see The Slip...and also let's hope they don't get locked into a short 45 minute set (though that does seem to be the "rule", which to me is also another issue...I'd rather see fewer bands who get to play longer...two sets each at least).
Every picture tells a story.
putty
From the Gecko

hints the word, dream.

maybe it should've read pipe dream." :wink:

i added Sharon Jones because I feel like she would be the perfect late night set. And Neil Young would be my pick to headline pretty much anything. He's playing on Sunday for the second weekend of Jazz Fest this year.

I agree with you completely about the number of bands and length of the sets. And that's one of my biggest complaints about festivals. 10-15 bands would be the perfect sized weekend fest.

Fight the Big Bull - http://www.fightthebigbull.com/news-english.php

They're a newish jazz band from Richmond, VA. Check 'em out.

Mandy Jane and the Jaws of Life is a couple who plays country music, but have stopped playing around here since they opened up a BBQ restaurant. She's got an amazing voice, and is pretty damn funny.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Re: Bear Creek lineup works for me

Phrazz wrote:I'd rather see fewer bands who get to play longer...two sets each at least).
YES! I would rather see fewer bands at a festival and more of them. I would be bummed to go to Florida and only get 45 minutes of slip and 45 minutes of Davis. Of course there are a lot of other good looking bands on there though. I would also like to hear a Marco Benevento Trio set as well, that is my favorite Marco these days.