The Slip + Bear Creek Festival

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

The Slip + Bear Creek Festival

According to jambands.com :
The Slip to Make a Rare Appearance at Bear Creek Alongside Galactic, Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk and Lettuce

The Bear Creek Music and Art Festival will return to Live Oak, FL from November 13-15. As in years past, the festival will boast two shows from a number of artists, including Galactic, Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk, Lettuce, The New Mastersounds, Porter Batiste and Stoltz, DubConscious and Zac Deputy. The Slip—a band that has only performed three shows since mid-2007—will also make a rare appearance.

Jeez I hate how the band's performances are now so scarce that they've been labelled "rare" i miss the days of plenty
Twitter: @lucsamuels
tim
The Weight of Solomon

hopefully this date just falls somewhere in the middle of a tour that's being planned right now. seems like a helluva hike just to play with the same bands they could play with at any number of festivals in the northeast.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Looks like fun, 1 Slip set and 1 Davis set... Wish there were x2 of each, then we'd be there for sure... considering it though...
appleofmyeye
Alsoa

I so wish The Slip would tour sometime this year. I miss them so. SMMD is great and I will be happy to see them play but I just miss hearing The Slip live, oh so much.
jason0525
Yaki Soba

according to nathans facebook page, they are currently mixing a new SMMD album. i could see this album coming out late summer/early fall and have this festival be a part of a bigger tour to support the SMMD album
tyler
From the Gecko

There are new (to me) studio versions of SMMD songs on their Myspace, how long have those been up?
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

they've all been up for a while
all i saw was you was recorded in 2005
when a woman is a live cut
i hate love and sleepyhead were on the Only In Montreal EP
tyler
From the Gecko

Oops I thought When a Woman was a studio cut until I listened all the way to the end...just a soundboard recording I guess. sorry!
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

i wish they posted some new tunes on the SMMD page, it'd be nice to see some on The Slip page as well
Phrazz

Bear Creek

This sounds like a great lineup, and from my Jamcruiser cohorts, they say Bear Creek is one of the best. I plan on attending this, and as many "rare Slip" shows as I can get my ears and eyes on. Ain't that in Florida? I bet it's nice there in November.

Oh yeah, while we're on the subject, Lettuce and Dumpstafunk tore it up on the boat! They were definitely the two best performances, IMO. But I'm biased of course (aren't we all?). Actually, I'd like to put Les in the top 3 and would add Keller and Galactic in the top 5 (Galactic with "trombone wars" I should add--takes it "over the top"). I would also put Franti in the top 5 but I can't kick out any of the other 5, so my top 5 would be 6. ;)

Because of the "hiatial situation", we may have to dig around a bit to find out what's going on. But we're used to that by now, aren't we? ;)

Back to Bear Creek...well, I've never been, so I can't "go back" in that sense. But the people who have told me about it really know their music and especially the small to mid-sized festivals. Many of them also have highest praises for High Sierra, which of course I have been to...and plan on returning.

-Phrazz
Every picture tells a story.