So... Phish is playing Bonnaroo

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Are you happy about Phish playing Bonnaroo?

Yes! (I'm Doing the Meatstick)
7%
No! (this is worse than "The Connection")
21%
Meh.. ( Just happy they are "Back on the Train")
71%

Total votes: 14

Caleb
Get Me with Fuji

So... Phish is playing Bonnaroo

Opinions?
My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable
pete
Get Me with Fuji

Friggin zombies. If you're dead, stay dead.
If you must come back, then throw your own damn festival.

<actually though, I think that The Connection is a decent tune>
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan
putty
From the Gecko

they must've run out of cash.

it don't matter to me. i probably won't see them on their tour at all, and definitely won't be attending Bonnaroo.
bear
From the Gecko

I'm glad that they are at least playing some sort of festival to give more fans an opportunity to see them that got shut out. I'm content with my great woods ticket and won't be making the trip to TN. Although the rest of the lineup looks awesome.
I think after this tour, they'll see how they like playing again and if they do - we'll see a Phish only festival again in the near future. I remember thinking the Connection was a terrrrrrible song but i probably only listened to it once, which was more than enough.
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I really don't care that much. If Phish were doing their own festival I might be interested in going but really not into Bonnaroo at all. I've never been and as I grow older and like more creature comforts the only way I'd really would want to do it would be with VIP tix and an RV. If The Slip were playing it would be more appealing for sure.

I'm not a big fan of how this big Phish comeback has been set up and handled so far. I am going to see a few shows for sure, probably Deer Creek and Alpine and some West Coast if they come out here but so far I am not impressed. I really feel that the whole way they left was rather shitty in terms of how they treated the fans (announcing that they were quitting AFTER already selling all the tix to their tour, the whole Coventry debacle) and their return has seemed to focus on what Phish wants to do rather than try to make themselves accessible to the people who made them what they are.
tyler
From the Gecko

don't really care, but I've never been a Phish fan. 2 shows at Bonnaroo seems like a bit of overkill when one of those slots could've gone to another solid headliner.

otherwise the lineup is real good though...i'd be there in a heartbeat if not for the ticket prices.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

it's cool that phish is back, and i'm excited to try and see a show here and there, but they're not enough to make me want to deal with 'roo. hell, even if i were going i'd be more excited to see king sunny ade than i would be to see phish. the lineup is great and all but most of the bands i like on that list are acts i'd rather see in a club setting. i would seriously entertain the notion of going to a phish-fest though.
bear
From the Gecko

I don't think phish owes us anything. They've played thousands of shows all over the world and i've seen them more than i need to, even though i want more. I think things got out of hand with the whole Phish machine and they felt they had to tour to support their fan base (and their crew for that matter) more than they wanted and they just got burned out...drugs, failed marriages, fatigue - life on the road can cost a lot. I agree about the whole last show ever thing 5 years ago - but even though I flew 3,000 miles to see Coventry I kind of knew it wouldn't be the last show.
I think this time around they are doing it for themselves. Hence a short tour and some small venues that they love playing. They are entitled to play the Fox Theatre just like any other band. they are still playing 20,000+ capacity sheds and a festival (in which they dont have to put together themselves) that accommodates 80,000 people. If you didn't get a ticket then try next time, simple as that. The Dead are charging $60-90 dollars before fees while Phish is $42.50 (at least for Great Woods). A bargain by today's standards for big name acts. In my opinion they put on the best show on the planet when they are playing well. Longs shows, amazing lights and not just the same set night in and night out. It will will be interesting to hear what they bring to the table at Hampton...
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
pete
Get Me with Fuji

It’s just painful watching a band I once loved turning into a caricature of itself. As far as I’m concerned they’re no better than a late night tv-shopping-network saleslady hocking “limited edition” Elvis collector plates. But then, maybe I’m still a bit bitter over Coventry.

Of course, Trey's come out saying that he'd be happy playing YEM every night for the rest of his life. So be it. I just don't want to have to look at it.
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan
lumpy
From the Gecko

harrymcq wrote:their return has seemed to focus on what Phish wants to do rather than try to make themselves accessible to the people who made them what they are.
I think that's just it this time around - it's about them. Hope they like it, and hope they make it out west!

I was lucky enough to be given a friday and saturday night hampton ticket - so i'm very psyched for that, but wish it wasn't such an impossible/$$$ task to get everyone in that wants to be. Not doing anything on the summer tour - but really hoping there's some west coast dates appearing soon.
Skylark_Mothaship
Poor Boy

I Will place a John Madden type of comment, but the first three nights will definitely set the energy level for initiation of the summer tour.