What have you been listening to lately?

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Caleb
Get Me with Fuji

What have you been listening to lately?

It seems like one of these gets posted every few months, but:

Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Grave (Awsome)
Fleet Foxes
Los Campesinos - Hold on Now Youngster
Sigur Ros - ()
Bon Iver - Blood Bank
The National - Alligator
My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

after downloading a copy of the 12/27 Slip show I went on 2002-2004 tear.

Been listening to some live Traffic from the early 70's - man these guys could wail, Kurt Rosenwinkel - newly found jazz guitar interest, Jacky Terrasson, Brad Mehldau, EST, and some Beatles - BBC Vol III and Abbey Rd.

Today at work I've been spinning a hot MMW show from 4-18-97. My tastes fluctuate daily, been feeling a little jazzy this week.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

Animal Collective- Merriweather Post Pavillion...i'm trying not to listen to this as much as i want to though.

DJ/Rupture & Andy Moor- Patches

Flying Lotus- Essential Mix BBC Radio 1

Bon Iver- For Emma and Blood Bank...after hearing months and months of hype i finally bought these records. man i was missing out. not really a big folk guy myself but this is really great stuff.

it seems like a week doesn't go by where there isn't at least one day devoted to MMJ or Talking Heads.
putty
From the Gecko

i'm currently listening to the M Ward, Conor Oberst and Jim James concert that was posted today at aquariumdrunkard.com

i've been listening to last year's Hold Steady album a bunch, and the new Andrew Bird a good bit. Deerhunter-Microcastle, Drive By Truckers's newest one and other Athens bands:

The Whigs - Mission Control, REM - Murmur 25th anniv. edition (but mostly the live show that came with it!), and Star Room Boys (an amazing local country band that is fronted by a guy who tends bar down the street. no idea how these guys have not been discovered outside of this town).
Caleb
Get Me with Fuji

I have to say, the % of live music i listen to on a day to day basis has dropped from near 100% 6 years ago to almost 0% now. Anyone else showing that trend? Or perhaps i just need a few new shows to get me back into the swing of things.. :lol:

Also listening to Merriweather now; (I always question the use of the semicolon, feel free to correct me if im wrong) this is probably listen # 4. It gets better every time.
Last edited by Caleb on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

putty wrote:and the new Andrew Bird a good bit. Deerhunter-Microcastle
new andrew bird sounds decent but i've only listened on my ipod at work. waiting to get a vinyl copy to really pay attention. microcastle(and weird era cont) was a very nice surprise indeed. it's got this pavement meets a hazey mazzy star sound thing going on that i really like. never got into their prior album cryptograms which got alot of good press, maybe i need to revisit that? bradford cox definitely marches to the beat on his own drum. i should also check out atlas sound at some point soon. do you like the black lips? looking forward to their next one in february.

Caleb wrote:I have to say, the % of music i listen to on a day to day basis has dropped from nea 100% 6 years ago to almost 0% now. Anyone else showing that trend? Or perhaps i just need a few new shows to get me back into the swing of things.. :lol:

Also listening to Merriweather now; (I always question the use of the semicolon, feel free to correct me if im wrong) this is probably listen # 4. It gets better every time.
i take it your first paragraph is referring to live music? if so, i have to agree. the amount of live music i listen to has fallen off drastically over the past few years and i'm certain this is in direct correlation with the infrequency of slip shows. if i do listen to live music nowadays it's almost exclusively sbd's.

merriweather needs to be heard in the best possbile format through big speakers or nice headphones. such an amazing album and it's just so interesting to me that it's the product of guys who grew up in the same area at the same time as myself.
fourthaye
Lion on a Rock

The new JFJO album 'Winterwood' - which is available as a free download at http://www.JFJO.com!
~good energy perpetuates good energy~
Katie
Invocation

The resident audiophile in my household purchased The Complete Motown #1s box set recently. It's been old-school classics, all the time, at my house for a week. I poke fun at the boy for buying it, but it really is a great compilation. Well at least the first 4 discs are... we haven't even gotten into the 80s and beyond yet.

Finally downloaded the Low Anthem's last album and have been digging that.

I happened to hear some of Marco's new album Me No Me too (it's out on Tuesday). It really captures a lot of what he was doing live on the last tour. The tracks have a lot of depth to them. Definitely worth picking up on CD and listening to with headphones.

Edit: Sweet! The pre-order of Me Not Me was waiting for me at home after I wrote this. Andrew is on tracks 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 (Matt Champlerlain plays on the rest). Listening to pre-order live disc right now...
bear
From the Gecko

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
Sean hayes - Alabama Chicken (Im backtracking through his discography)
Big Light - Live at Great American Music Hall; sometime in december
The new JFJO
Phish - various shows, psyched for summer tour!
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
Caleb
Get Me with Fuji

YEa im pumped i got some tix to the Tweeter Great Woods Comcast center show!

Also, anyone been checking out the Dark was the Night benefit album stream on myspace? Looks pretty good...
pete
Get Me with Fuji

In order of decreasing frequency over the last few days:

Joe West - South Dakota Hairdo
Marco Benevento - Me Not Me, Live Yes Live, and everything else I can get my hands on
Brad Bar - Every version of Hello I'm a Monster I can find
Nathan Moore - You Yeah Smokin' Hot
Lee Perry - Repentance
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
Todd Snider - Peace Queer
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan
GeMeNeYe
Get Me with Fuji

Manu Chao - Clandestino
Kayhan Kalhor - various
Low Anthem - OMGCD
JFJO - Winterwood
Portico Quartet - Knee-Deep (anybody heard of the instrument "the hang"?)
Fionn Regan - The End of History (impressive)
Jonas Hellborg (with Shawn Lane) - Good People in Times of Evil
Ray LaMontagne - Gossip in the Grain
Fleet Foxes
Beirut - The Flying Club Cup
Baba Maal - The Adventurers (wow, this is sweet)
Ry Cooder Anthology
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

ya know, someone told me that dr. dog is the more interesting version of fleet foxes, and i completely agree.

i've been listening to:

brian eno
dr. dog
slip (of course), and brad
wilco
dinosaur jr.

really, a lot of the same stuff.
tyler
From the Gecko

I don't really see the comparison--I think Dr. Dog skew much closer towards 60s pop, Fleet Foxes are more folksy/Americana.

recently I've been listening to:

Menomena - Friend and Foe
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - s/t
Andrew Bird - Noble Beast
Mum - Finally We Are No One
The Low Anthem - Oh My God Charlie Darwin
Bon Iver - Blood Bank EP

also, has anyone heard the Dark Was The Night compilation album yet? it's got pretty much every artist that the indie blogs have hyped in the past year, but it's got some seriously brilliant songs on it. especially nice is a cover of Nick Drake's Cello Song by The Books and Jose Gonzalez.