JFJO releases new album for free

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

fourthaye
Lion on a Rock

JFJO releases new album for free

Following a year that found the band winning a Guinness Cork Award and playing at Newport Jazz Festival & Lincoln Center, Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey is excited to announce a special gift for their fans to kick off 2009 & their 15th anniversary.

As a thank you to all of the music lovers who have helped make the odyssey possible, JFJO is offering up a FREE DOWNLOAD of their New Studio Album entitled 'Winterwood.' The album marks Reed Mathis' last appearance with the band. Visit JFJO.COM to download the album now.

Entering the 15th year of JFJO's legendary existence, the new lineup of Haas/Raymer/Combs/Hayes travels west in February for a tour stretching through California, Oregon, & Washington before finishing in Colorado, beginning what promises to be another year full of world touring and musical evolution.

DOWNLOAD WINTERWOOD

JFJO 2009 Tour Dates:

Thu. Jan. 29th - Fayetteville,AR - George's Majestic w/The Doldrums
Fri. Jan. 30th - Kansas City,MO - Jardine's w/Mark Southerland & The Doldrums
Sat. Jan. 31st - Columbia,MO - Mojo's w/The Doldrums
Tue. Feb. 10th - San Diego,CA - Winston's w/The Bridge
Wed. Feb. 11th - LA,CA - Largo w/Marco Benevento & Friends
Thurs. Feb. 12th - Oakland,CA - Yoshis
Fri. Feb. 13th - Sebastopol,CA - Hopmonk Tavern w/The Bridge
Sat. Feb. 14th - Arcata,CA - 'Warm & Fuzzy' pajama party!
Wed. Feb. 18th - Eugene,OR - Indigo w/The Bridge
Fri. Feb. 20th - Olympia,WA - Eastside w/Das Vibenbass
Sat. February 21st - Portland,OR - The Goodfoot w/Das Vibenbass
Sun. February 22nd - Seattle,WA - Tractor Tavern
Wed. Feb. 25th - Ft.Collins,CO - Hodi's Halfnote w/Mike Dillon's GoGo Jungle
Fri. February 27th - Boulder,CO - B Side Lounge
Sat. February 28th - Denver,CO - Owsley's
Sat. March 28th - Austin,TX - The Parish
~good energy perpetuates good energy~
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Awesome. Thanks.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Yeah, I am psyched!

I have mixed feelings about Reed leaving the band but high hopes. They put on a great show with the Reed-less quartet last time in Berkeley. At least it's not like Garaj Mahal who I just totally lost interest in after Alan Hertz left the band. I will certainly keep going to see the Fred.
pete
Get Me with Fuji

Sweet!

One of the songs is titled The Slip - I wonder what the story is behind that one.
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan
fourthaye
Lion on a Rock

There are lots of stories behind that one :)
~good energy perpetuates good energy~
Phrazz

WINTERWOOD

fourthaye wrote:There are lots of stories behind that one :)
I hope you'll tell us sometime...when you're ready, of course. ;)

BTW, WINTERWOOD is wonderful!!! Both the free download and the cool tunes I've heard so far...listening and downloading at the same time. Very fast server, too...I'm getting about 700KB/s continuous (that's over 5Mbit/sec for you net.geeks).

Holy bitstorm...it's done already! Aaahhhh...some creative photos, too. Nikon D700 shots. Where's that lake? Looks very peaceful. Thanks also for the album art. Very nice package...indeed! [Oh, must be Winterwood Studios in AZ...]

As I'm looking at the photos...I'm thinking, "Whoa, that's not Reed Mathis!!!" and I see in the web bio: upright bassist Matt Hayes. Alright, I missed the train on that one. So TLG snagged Reed for the road, huh? Well, changes come around yet again, but the sound is still there...and that bass has to be Reed. Now I have to check the liner notes. Ok, sounds like there are a few stories with this one. So Reed recorded but didn't want to sit in for the photo sessions? Hmmm...shucks.

Mad keys, baby...Haas throws down! "Song of the Vipers"...that Reed on banjo? This album is expanding and unravelling the more I listen to it. Thanks again for the free download! I'll of course buy the CD anyways for my collection, but great to hear to it "fresh off the press". Doesn't look like The Fred will be coming too close to me anytime soon. You hitting JazzFest? Looks like 2nd weekend again for me...but 1st weekend's lineup is stellar...so tough call right now...can't do both.

-Phrazz

P.S.: Now I see Reed photos...in the PDF album liner notes.
discofrank
Mudslide

Must again give some love to that amazing record... it's unfolding a little bit more with each listen. The attention to detail is amazing! Oklahoma Stomp is perfect! I would also like to point out Josh Raymer's drumming... amazing beats! Up there with Jah Smart, Andrew and Joe Russo...

I recommend this record to everyone and i can't wait to hear the new quartet apart from those short clips in NY that surfaced on youtube.

Will this record be released on vinyl one day? I'd love to get a 180gram of of it and listen to it with headphones...

Amazing work once again by Fred & Co.! Give thanks and praises! :D
Big Bob
From the Gecko

at the risk of repeating what everyone else has said:

love the album. sonically rich.

i will miss hearing reed's sweet sounds during future jfjo recordings/performances. sad to hear that he's leaving. anyone know what other (if any) projects he has in mind besides the marco trio?

anyways, thanks for the music, freds! especially love earl hines and song of the vipers
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

This is a killer album. Gonna miss Reed for sure but the band does sound good without him still!

Reed's full time gig is Tea Leaf Green. Not my favorite band but I am glad he seems to be happy! He is also TEARING it up with Marco (as is Androo!)
bear
From the Gecko

really?!?- I knew he has been playing with them, but leaving JFJO for TLG. The man must really need to pay some bills.
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

TLG...so average
Twitter: @lucsamuels
bear
From the Gecko

indeed...mediocre at best. Although I havent seen them with Reed. Can't imagine how much he can improve their sound when the songs are terrible to begin with.
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com