Brad Barr: The Fall Apartment

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

just ordered it from Amazon.. can't wait to get it here...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
Smoove Smiff
Yaki Soba

Ditto on that...Mr. Barr has been a hero of mine for years now, can't wait to hear just him and his guitar, keepin' it real.

And yeah, a Slip album would be alright too.
pete
Get Me with Fuji

Just downloaded it from Amazon - a far superior experience compared to my first and last purchace through iTunes. I'll wait for the tour to buy it on CD.

I'm only about half of the way through it now, but I can say confidently that this one's going to get some extensive listening over the next month or so.

As much as I love the Slip as a standalone group, I really could not ask for a better bunch of side projects from BAM. Benevento Barr Russo, Sonya Kitchell and the Slip, and SMMD - all delicious. This solo album is icing on the cake.
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan
KLUE
Get Me with Fuji

My fav Macro slip configuration was definitely w/ Reed and Andrew, blew the others away.
Keep Lookin' Up for Ever
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

bought the album yesterday from itunes
needless to say its amazing, i've been listening to it over and over
the production is crystal clear and brad's playing is obviously impecable
my favourite tune is probably newst flurries and bouba's bounce

speaking of slip side projects, did the recording of andrew brad and marco in new york ever surface? sounds too epic to remain hidden
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

did the recording of andrew brad and marco in new york ever surface? sounds too epic to remain hidden
The guy who I tipped off to the show won't reply to my queries for some reason. He wouldn't have known about it without me telling him.
Katie
Invocation

I've been listening to this for the last couple of days at work. Perfect for keeping me focused (when I'm writing code) but not distracting either. It sounds great on headphones. I was so psyched to hear a polished version of 'Still Shiver'. I still throw in that solo show from early '03 every once in a while just to hear tunes like that (well, that and the Alsoa). I love the flow to the album too. Brad's tone and style is so defined and distinctive that there's no blatant shift between the covers and originals.

I did download through eMusic. 192K VBR, DRM free. It's a subscription service but you can cancel at any time and keep what you've downloaded. They offer 50 additional downloads free when you sign up, and have Nathan's entire catalog :!: (among other good stuff).... so yeah, not a bad way to spend $12.
putty
From the Gecko

is it Brad only, or are there any other musicians on the album?
tim
The Weight of Solomon

just brad.
tyler
From the Gecko

Katie wrote:I did download through eMusic. 192K VBR, DRM free. It's a subscription service but you can cancel at any time and keep what you've downloaded. They offer 50 additional downloads free when you sign up, and have Nathan's entire catalog :!: (among other good stuff).... so yeah, not a bad way to spend $12.
Ooooh thanks for the tipoff about Nathan's catalog--I'd never thought to search for that and was looking to burn up my remaining downloads for the month.
Big Bob
From the Gecko

Thanks for the tip about emusic, Katie!

I just signed up and got my 80 downloads. good deal. I took your advice and grabbed almost all of Nathan's catalogue. Most of his recordings that I had were not from his actual albums. I also got the fall apartment and STILL had enough downloads left over to grab two hours worth of Fela Kuti!

Now it's time to listen. Ah new music here we go.
putty
From the Gecko

yeah, eMusic is great. they don't have the BEST selection, but it's only $12/month.

i always forget about it, then remember about halfway through the month and get really excited.
Katie
Invocation

You're welcome. I'd been meaning to post about the Nathan stuff up there, and kept forgetting. When our subscription lapsed they offered us 75 more free downloads to re-join, so I used that to get all of his back catalog that I didn't have. The Afrobeat selection is pretty killer. My husband is the resident Afrobeat expert, I dig it, but not nearly to the extent he does. I tend to gravitate toward the indie-rock stuff they have since he's got the world music covered. (We split a subscription. Best wedding present, ever!)

The artist selection really depends on the record label, some have signed on to it while others haven't. I was happily surprised to find Brad's album up there, cause I hadn't thought to look for that record label before.
Big Bob
From the Gecko

yeah. the fall apartment is absolutely beautiful.
tyler
From the Gecko

mixed feelings on this one. i really like the more experimental, dense tracks (Do I Have to Understand This and--holy shit--Heart Shaped Box) moreso than the solo acoustic ones, though then again Sarah Through The Wall is really cool. but that's mostly just my taste showing through, I've kind of been going off guitar-based music of late.

also, would've been nice if the eMusic folks proofread their track name tags. eek.