Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

putty
From the Gecko

new Dr. Dog is fuckin goooooood.

maybe my favorite album of the year so far
bear
From the Gecko

agreed. however...

just wait til the new Apollo drops. that album is - in the words of Johnny Utah - "Amazing, Fucking Amazing!"
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

PNUMA TRIO
bouche
Alsoa

Ray Lamontagne.

just saw the guy on Austin City Limits and was blown away. fantastic voice and songwriting.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

bear wrote:just wait til the new Apollo drops. that album is - in the words of Johnny Utah - "Amazing, Fucking Amazing!"
psyched for this as well. gonna order the vinyl copy today. they're releasing it next week, a month early.

in other listening, air france- no way down ep is rad.
bear
From the Gecko

yeah, I'm reviewing it for tinymixtapes.com so i got it early. Its kind of a return to form of katonah. Lots of interludes and instrumental breaks interweaved within tight songs. 16 tracks in 38 minutes - unbelievable. the sonic landscapes are very intense but not overdone- listen while wearing headphones!
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
rhythmicstorm
Get Me with Fuji

bon iver bon iver bon iver

holy shit

i love it so much it's painful.
You that love lovers, this is your home. Welcome!
tyler
From the Gecko

got the new Apollo Sunshine last night. it's pretty great. although I wish there were more longer guitar freakouts a la Lord or Phyliss on the last album. and WHY DID THEY DITCH BETTER CHANGE YOUR MIND. such a good song. and the whole utopian hippie vibe their lyrics have taken on is kinda schlocky and gets old after a while. i realize i have just wrote a list of complaints. but apart from those, it's a kickass album. really fantastic production, very psychedelic, and yet it doesn't sound muddy or messy (like the new Brendan Canning does, eek). very strong, short, punchy songs too, for the most part. think The Funky Chamberlain might be my favorite.
Caleb
Get Me with Fuji

Rythmicstorm I agree,

pretty much listen to Bon Iver everday this week so far... call me behind the times ( I just got it), but its pretty effing awsome.

Others:
Still really like the Black Keys album
Enjoying the Low Anthem ( just found out about them from the last SMMD tour)
still havent hear the new Sigur Ros (did i miss a thread about this one?)
Havent heard the new Brenden Canning but Tyler's post makes me a little nervous
Also new Beck album rocks even more than the last

I'm at work... must go..

TTFN
My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable
tyler
From the Gecko

Canning's album isn't bad by any means, it's got a couple real good songs. But a lot of the songs get lost in the production. I typically like dense music but sometimes it gets to be a bit overbearing.

the new Sigur Ros album...hmm. The first four songs are the best they've ever done I feel. but after that it goes downhill into cliche Sigur Ros territory. Still good though.

new Beck is awesome. Danger Mouse is a genius.
GeMeNeYe
Get Me with Fuji

For Bon Iver fans:

check out the videos here if you haven't already:

http://www.newraleigh.com/articles/arch ... ows-video/

Three of the songs by the Bowerbirds (currently touring with Bon Iver) are pretty amazing as well, especially Bur Oak.

Just saw the tour in Portland, Maine. Wow. Don't miss Bon Iver if you get the chance.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

heard the new apollo sunshine a few times now and it's real tight. def lots of stuff going on at some points making for some tripped out atmospherics. kinda wonder how they'll pull some of that stuff off live or if they'll even try at all...
tote
Get Me with Fuji

Eric Strom

This is kind of cool: my friend Eric quit his job as a scientist in order to be a musician, and, as a way of pushing the envelope and gaining a following, he made a website for his music. It's called "Eric Strom presents a daily song", and it's pretty neat, actually. He is really writing and recording a brand new song every day, I know that much. Just how? It's not a trick, that much I know, as he is my friend, and I asked him: What's the trick? I started listening daily out of the same impulse that makes you stop to watch a plane crash into the ocean... Surprisingly, I'm still on board. If you like it, he asks that you subscribe to his free podcast, so he can get featured on the front page of the istore. Then he wants to move to the city and be a musician full time. Anyway, here's his website. To join his podcast, I believe all you do is type his name into the istore search engine.

http://www.ericstromsdailysong.com/

On another note, anyone heard sad/happy? Some indie band I heard on t.v. They rocked, but I haven't had a chance to look into them any further.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

this new byrne/eno stuff sounds pretty good...
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Just wanted to say that thanks to all of your recommendations I bought the new Dr. Dog... Just love it! It is getting a lot of play around our house.