iso tube amp

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

iso tube amp

hi all,

anyone have a fender tube amp they want to sell me? willing to trade around with my swr strawberry blonde acoustic amp. its in great condition.

just curious, slipsters. gettin tired of ebay!

hope everyone is enjoying the early stages of spring!

- john
John from CT / wheaton college, MA
Caleb
Get Me with Fuji

John,

Ive got a hot rod deluxe that I love. I definately need to replace the tubes its about 5 years old now. But i dont htink i can part ways with it. Where have you been looking beside ebay?

Caleb (Also in CT)
My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable
Phrazz

love fender tubes

I'm a big fan of Twins and Supers, but they'll break your back (and bank).

The smaller amps still have great tone, and I've seen some good ads on Craig's List. Try to get green-backs if you can. What's your budget?
Every picture tells a story.
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Fender amps, eh? You can find good deals on Deluxe Reverb Reissues on ebay and craigslist if you watch out. They go for like 849 new I wanna say, but can be had for like 500 or less if you're lucky. two 6V6 tubes in the power section rather than the usual 6L6 you see in a lot of their amps (twin 'verb, HR deluxe, HR deville, etc.) They're 22 watts, but still loud as hell and they break up quite nicely 8)

Right now I've got the same amp Brad had (if he's still using it, I'm not sure...Mesa/Boogie DC-10...think i saw a pic of him playing with SMMD with a Fender? could have even been a DRRI now that I think of it), but I think i'm ditching it soon. It's pretty much a hot rodded fender though.

But I will tell you, if you're seriously considering a Fender, look into Vox amps, too. The AC15 is a stellar amp, especially if you put an AlNiCo blue speaker in it (warehousespeakers.com makes GREAT, GREAT celestion clones...I've got a green beret celestion greenback clone, 25w, in my blues junior and it's just awesome), and they start off around 600 new, so it may be cheaper. Plus Vox amps + alnico blues = amazing.

yeah...i'm a gear whore...
Phrazz

thanks for the gear info

I've been considering downsizing my Super since it's not easy to lug to gigs. The Vox have great reviews and your details on the custom speakers and such are greatly appreciated.

Brad had a Polytone for a long time, but has been using more "standard backline" gear more recently. It's not so easy to bring gear on planes of course.

I have a pal who is getting rid of his Marshall monster tube head and cabs to play through a Pod and small PA. Easier on the budget if you don't need that controlled feedback.
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Super head + cab

[guess i got logged out after like 2 minutes of being logged in...the post is me.]

Yeahhh...I wouldn't go for the POD though. I mean it's nice if you're playing shows that don't have PA's and all that and you want to make sure that you sound nice and professional. But to me, that's just a great reason to crank the amp instead Cool

See if you can't find a Super head or something and just get a nice 1x12 speaker cab or something along those lines, or maybe even a 2x10 or a 2x12. The supers are 4x10 right?

By the way, I know Brad was using his DC-10 alongside the polytone for a while. I think he might have just been using that speaker. Still sounded pretty damned good though. I've always wanted to talk to brad about his rig, i just never have.