radiohead

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

lumpy
From the Gecko

pay something (or nothing) for the mp3 - if you want lossless, I am confident that will be available for download sans the "name your price" thing....
torph
Alsoa

this is so cool on so many levels. I think this will be looked at as a watershed moment in the industry. right now I think artists of all shapes & sizes are looking at labels and wondering, what can you do for us that we can't do ourselves? people like reapandsow.com , who can provide the types of services for rightsholders that only labels could serve up in the past are breaking the mold, in my opinion. they are the extreme in the digital world, in that they believe printing cd's is not worth the time, effort or money. radiohead, a HUGE band by every measure, obviously still needs to distribute to their fan-base in all formats (Vinyl included!). But it's also exciting to see smaller labels like Black & Greene (jeremy from apollo's label) throwing a ton effort into getting their catalog out through all the available digital channels and doing short-run printings of CD's and Vinyl for the die-hards. the bottom line i think is that digital distribution networks cut out the traditional middlemen are going to be the death of the majors. on a somewhat related note, I just want to say that Rhapsody is still the coolest fucking thing out there. I just got a Rhap-to-go account up-and-running. I'm loving the Sandisk player, and I enjoy being entirely outside the framework of iTunes/iPod.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

i stayed up way too late waiting for the email.

it was worth it...
lumpy
From the Gecko

we've been enjoying it tonight as well....but we're on the left coast ;)

its hard to really formulate an opinion as of yet, but so far this album is perfect
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

tim what the hell is the matter with you.

and this album is not perfect. but very good, yes. and its going to get better as the weather gets colder. thoms voice sounds really cool on most songs. lots of reverb and strings. this album has some similarities with thoms solo eraser. i like the production better than HTTT, some very dense songs.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Katie
Invocation

I was a slacker and didn't pre-order. It took quite a few tries refreshing timed-out pages to get an order through today... they must be getting slammed with traffic. I'm sure it'll be worth it though. Can't wait to give this a listen when I get home.
tyler
From the Gecko

i'm in love with Arpeggi.
and the whole album really.

now start the countdown til my discbox (and another cd) arrives...
Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

THAT TRACK IS AMAZING!!!!

Posts can be edited, which helps the readers.[Phrazz]

<hr>
tyler, im with you whole-heartedly

THAT TRACK IS AMAZING!!!!
[is is just me, or did the beginning make you thing of BSS]

1. 15 steps - nasty production. i felt like i was listening to surround sound in stereo monitors. and the tune is in 5!

2. bodysnatchers - makes me thing of the bends [which is a good thing].

3. nude - thom's voice is... majestic? the bass is great too.

4. arpeggi - feel like i'm swimming as i listen

5. all i need - love the crunchy wurlitzer-type sound. plus it uses glockenspiel, my favorite instrument of all time

6. faust arp - every albums gotta have an acoustic tune...

7. recknor - mmm... great drumming

8. house of cards - the guitars are awesome on this

9. jigsaw falling into place - spectacular tune. i love thom's monotone singing on this one

10. videotape - WOW [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kCKob1YKOU ]
Phrazz

nice review

I like your synopses, eloquent and intriguing -- makes me want to listen more.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

bob boilen and crew discuss the new radiohead album and other new releases. i really like this show.

http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/archive ... c-20071017
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
ScS
From the Gecko

all songs considered is a great program. i listened to their year-end special last year and found a lot of great new music which ive been listening to non-stop since. going back through the archives is a treasure chest full of goodies.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
BeatingHippies
Ambrosia Drunk

I also discovered All Songs Considered with last years year end list and nearly everything on it has been spun on a regular basis by me.

I like the crew's debate on the new album. That one dude who criticizes it raises some good points. Many of my friends had the same concerns that it was just a marketing move.

Either way, it's by far the best album of the year. In my unsubstantiated opinion anyway.
-BH
dzl

i havent checked out the year end list, but will soon. its a great show, and i also like how some of the acts that go through 9:30 club usually broadcast and save their shows on the npr website.
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

having settled into my consciousness after repeated listens, i can now say without hesitation that i love this album. it didn't knock my socks off at first, didn't come off as remarkably groundbreaking or whatever... but with every listen i'm liking it more and more. there isn't a single track i dislike (no weird shit), and it's eerie how each song feels so familiar, even from the first time through.

yeah
:D
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>