Artist of the Decade

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Caleb
Get Me with Fuji

Artist of the Decade

As we draw closer to the end of the Zeros I have seen some musician's stock rise very high and other's plummit (a la Britney Spears). Who (Whom) has had a great decade? Who has had a horrible decade? Just like ESPN's Who's Now? on, as well as off the field play, can be taken into account.

I am going to go with Modest Mouse and Maroon 5. MM has come so far and while people will push the sellout argument, I personally feel that they have furthered the indie genre as far as mainstream acceptance goes.

Maroon 5 i know next to nothing about. But they are fucking every where and young girls, 20 somethings girls and older women all sweat them ( or its seems that way to me). While their music may not be totally in line with my taste, I feel like one could do a lot worse.
My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable
R.A.

Ryan Adams

Ryan Adams
ScS
From the Gecko

the shins
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
putty
From the Gecko

Kanye West, Wilco, Jimi Hendrix
Phrazz

great decade

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'd say Radiohead for starters. The White Stripes? Madonna? She's surely had a great decade...or two. I could do better if you'd throw some colors in with the wash.

BTW, for all you grammarians out there, the usage of "who" vs "whom" is fascinating. "Who" is subjective and "whom" is objective. If you start a sentence with it, you almost always use "who". Who gave Fred the guitar. If it's "of whom you are speaking", that is still objective in essence (the target of the verb in a sense). "Ask not for whom the bell tolls" is another good example. If it's the target of a preposition, also use whom. Such as "about whom it was written, on whatever it is they write it on down there" (Zappa reference, in case anyone was snoozing).

http://bartleby.com/64/C001/078.html

http://www.edufind.com/english/grammar/rel4.cfm

Now, some would say it's pedantic to talk about grammar at all, and formally, I cannot argue against that point. However, folks who have taken the time to learn how to use any language's grammar properly are going to increase both their knowledge and patience. We all know learning is pedantic ... there will always be those who are opposed to learning. It takes great courage to stand in the face of mixed metaphors and kill birds with rolling stones that gather no bushes. If you understand half of that, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Speaking of which....
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

oh phrazz you crack me up...

i love your turtle.

and to steer this back to topic i'll vote for radiohead too.
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

radiohead....
done
R.A.

Yeah, I was going to say Radiohead, too, but at first I thought the question was about bands that got their start in this decase. Then I realized Modest Mouse started in the early 90s. So I'd vote for Radiohead, too.
tyler
From the Gecko

Uh Radiohead started before Modest Mouse did anyway...?

Modest Mouse hasn't really been anything special since The Moon & Antarctica. That album was incredible, but Good News was fairly average and the new one sucks. They're basically just an angry Franz Ferdinand, these days.
Colin

i think franz ferdinand is garbage, not to offend anyone
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

I am sure I'll get slammed since I don't dig these other bands mentioned but for me my vote goes to Medeski Martin and Wood. I fruking love those guys and they just keep pumping out new songs that torch my soul.

WHAT ABOUT THE SLIP???? I think they have had an incredible decade.

And hey, this decade gave us the birth of Surprise Me Mr Davis.
putty
From the Gecko

Outkast
Colin

beastie boys

but i doubt it