Chances of a Slip DVD?

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

whatev

Chances of a Slip DVD?

Has there ever been any thought or effort in doin a slip movie or something with life footage and sort of kind of the journey of the slip, maybe even sort of a wilco ish movie such as the one for the album yankee hotel foxtrot where they had similar trouble in finding a record label to release there album like the slip with eisenhower, but i would love to see some interviews and live footage and understand sort of the lifestyles of BAM.. any thoughts or anyone know if this has ever been a possibility?

cheese
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

yeah im sure they've discussed it and thought about it. theres also been a couple of shows that were shot in hd video recently, but i dont think anybody here knows whats to come.

theres a flaming lips dvd coming out soon though if youre a fan of them
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
tyler
From the Gecko

a DVD might be making a huge leap. I really think they (and every band, really) ought to do more with YouTube and posting live clips there. Andrew Bird has a pretty nice batch of official YouTube clips, with interesting filming and audio that doesn't sound like shite. A few of those HD Slip vids are on there if you look, but I'd still like to see more, done officially by the band.
fourthaye
Lion on a Rock

I disagree, I mean, its 2007 going on 2008, DVD has been around for a while now. We are a increasingly visually based society. DVD is the way to go.
~good energy perpetuates good energy~
Andrew
Poor Boy

See (listen for now) the 6/27/07 show at the World Cafe in Philly. Brad discusses the camera crew taping the show on that evening, as well as some other shows. He also goes on to talk about the ups and downs of life on the road being documented for a movie, better yet, a documentary. Who knows the time frame for this project, but an interesting notion none the less.
MATT
Get Me with Fuji

I like the youtube thing as a hold over for the dvd, but the two shouldnt be exclusive entities, a trailer for example can be edited long before a final cut.
tyler
From the Gecko

true enough. my thinking was just that logistically more would go into planning a DVD, whereas throwing the already-shot HD videos (and maybe some older Zack Smith videos, although I think I've seen those uploaded already) on Youtube seems like it would be a pretty easy move with instant results.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

there should be some kind of a stopgap release though in the next year, b/c i really haven't heard any new songs that were good enough to be put on an album, imo. :(
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
BeatingHippies
Ambrosia Drunk

I always thought the release of a DVD, or even any kind of live concert video was more of something limited to larger bands.If you think about it, it's not like an album that someone would just check out on a whim. Music DVD sales are limited almost exclusively to fans and even then not all of them will buyt it.

So I would think the Slip doesn't have a big enough fanbase yet for a wide release DVD. Of course every year it gets cheaper and cheaper to release a DVD so it wouldn't surpise if one were to come out.

The only other gap they would have to jump would be price. It is quite expensive for a band to film a show. After that, production, and packaging does the Slip have the money to put oneof these out? Of course it's something their label may want to pursue and pick up the cost for. I was always under the assumption that labels only paid for DVDs when they were packaged with a CD. I think most bands find different people to release their live videos. I may be wrong here though.

It is pretty cool to hear that the World Cafe Show was filmed. But the next day at work we got a bunch of DVDs in, all from different bands under the same heading of "Live at the World Cafe." Each had similiar packaging too. So maybe the people at the World Cafe are putting it out. Monteaux and Austin City Limits have been doing that for awhile and it sounds like Bonnaroo and Monterey Pop are going to do that too.

Also there are a few cool new tunes.

Of course, I'd buy it.
-BH